• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Drown out the haka: Bledisloe II | Tri Nations finale

What should the AUS crowd sing at the game on Saturday, or indeed in the future?

• Waltzing Matilda

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Aussie Version of OleOleOle

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Come on you gold

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • None of these three, but something else

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • We shouldn't sing at all, be it before after or during the haka

Votes: 10 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
i think that the haka give a psychological edge to both teams, the AB's obviously, but also the opposing team. they are pretty much standing there with their teammates, backs against the wall and being presented a challenge. i know that personally, a team that i have played performed a haka-ish thing before our game, the dance itself was ridiculous considering, but i know it fired up my team to give it straight back to them.
turning backs on the haka is disrespectful and shouldnt be done, but by all rights advance and show that as a team your not going to back down or take shit.
also a good spectacle for the game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
All the old tricks. Ban the team from showering so they have an authentic smell (very English). Bakkies style winking and blowing kisses at the opposition. Can we pick Steve Waugh in the side to throw out the odd paralysing sledge?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah but i don't think it was done in a manner by which your blokes had to stand there and wait whilst we sung it.

I just think that someone will eventually complain that it's too much. Yes its traditional, i don't think that there would be too many Kiwi's who would disagree with you should they be made to make a choice.

I don't think it would be a good move for Australia at the moment to force NZ to make that choice given the Apple saga going on.

However i can see England trying to upset NZ as much as possible in the future by doing something like i suggest.

Well it was done after the Haka, and ABs had to wait for it to finish. I know they didn't stand there and listen, but The Wallabies don't have to either.

T

tblackadder

perhaps to match the haka

the wallabies could do a short scene from a play like twelth night or the last few minutes from phantom of the opera...

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well it was done after the Haka, and ABs had to wait for it to finish. I know they didn't stand there and listen, but The Wallabies don't have to either.

I say you blokes can do it. But do it after your anthem. We can then do our anthem and get the bloody game underaway. Personally i would like to see both teams just run out and belt piss out of each other straight away.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
perhaps to match the haka

the wallabies could do a short scene from a play like twelth night or the last few minutes from phantom of the opera...

I'd personally like to see the Wallabies do I'm a little teapot short and stout in response to the haka.

T

tblackadder

now that i think of it imagine what the french could come up with at their new stadium with the pink and purple lighting.....some 5 mins of something abstract or random

stade francais have had some awesome pre match displays....with topless beauties and caged animals..

what i would like to see is.....while the all blacks are getting ready for the haka in front of the opposing team

then all the lights go out = darkness

then about 30 seconds later the lights go on and the opposing team is actually replaced by a line of tellytubbies...

doing the haka they have

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
To give some of you an idea of what the Poms are capable of, I did some code-hopping and found the following. You can argue that "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" rivals this, but if the ARU can get something half as good as this it would take the edge off any other pre-game ritual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKoLxaXMRY&feature=related

One Word: Inspiring.

Thought I'd add this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEEbbXtmI30

The team was behind 3-0 in this game, came back and won on penalties.

Something that stands out to me about English supporters are the ages, seems to be a common thing to see groups of young kids (15-22yr ish) showing up to these games. They seem to have designated roles as leaders of chants and they drag the remainder of the crowd into it, along with the assistance of PA's. Of course these may be the same groups of youths that are causing the riots and therefore it isn't necessarily a good thing, but that type of culture (where going and supporting your local team) is a must seems to have a positive impact and adds to the atmosphere. Not saying adults aren't capable of this but the organisation of these groups or 'chavs' as some like to call them is without doubt something that must be respected for lifting the profile of the game and encouraging crowd participation.

08umema

To give some of you an idea of what the Poms are capable of, I did some code-hopping and found the following. You can argue that "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" rivals this, but if the ARU can get something half as good as this it would take the edge off any other pre-game ritual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKoLxaXMRY&feature=related

One Word: Inspiring.

Thought I'd add this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEEbbXtmI30

The team was behind 3-0 in this game, came back and won on penalties.

Something that stands out to me about English supporters are the ages, seems to be a common thing to see groups of young kids (15-22yr ish) showing up to these games. They seem to have designated roles as leaders of chants and they drag the remainder of the crowd into it, along with the assistance of PA's. Of course these may be the same groups of youths that are causing the riots and therefore it isn't necessarily a good thing, but that type of culture (where going and supporting your local team) is a must seems to have a positive impact and adds to the atmosphere. Not saying adults aren't capable of this but the organisation of these groups or 'chavs' as some like to call them is without doubt something that must be respected for lifting the profile of the game and encouraging crowd participation.

Gets even better when both teams fans sing the same song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfgqi-UahE8

But yes they seem to have it over us in the chants section. Unfortunately that same culture isn't reflected here in Australia. Would be great to hear 40K+ people singing Waltzing Matilda at Suncorp on Saturday night though!

A

Army_Gav

Hats off to the Boks supporters at Port Elizabeth

[video=youtube;VSaDH4FfF7Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSaDH4FfF7Y[/video]

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's bloody brilliant, surely if their spectators can do 3 seperate languages and belt them out the Wallabies supporters can pull off the first half of our national anthem.

A

Army_Gav

Meanwhile, we have this shit, better known as killing a cat

[video=youtube;o-5znKBwbhU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-5znKBwbhU&feature=related[/video]

dudebudstud

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the obvious choice is for the Wallabies fans to sing Waltzing Matilda, while holding up their supporters scarves.

I went to a baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston. The Red Sox fans all sang Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond. When the entire stadium hit the "Ba.Ba.Baaa" part it sent shivers down my spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.