• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia - Twickenham, 14 Nov, 4:30am AEDT

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Instead of worrying about increased pressure in facing up against Wales and a possible 0-3 record, we should be taking the opportunity to experiment and enjoy the Test.
From selections through to tactics, I'd like to see some big changes.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Instead of worrying about increased pressure in facing up against Wales and a possible 0-3 record, we should be taking the opportunity to experiment and enjoy the Test.
From selections through to tactics, I'd like to see some big changes.
Let's do all those things. Make changes, win, and enjoy it! The last game for three months.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s not going to matter who you play at 10 if the forward pack has a combined total of 55 running meters again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s not going to matter who you play at 10 if the forward pack has a combined total of 55 running meters again.

I got 60m with 5m from the bench. Same-same though. And less than 20m from the tight 5. Jesus, I wish I hadn't checked that. I get the issues this time in the front row, but wow, the locks with just 3m for the game, just wow.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I got 60m with 5m from the bench. Same-same though. And less than 20m from the tight 5. Jesus, I wish I hadn't checked that. I get the issues this time in the front row, but wow, the locks with just 3m for the game, just wow.
Pretty sure that 3m came from one Arnold carry as well.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It is worth noting that Rennie has mostly been using his locks for breakdown work, freeing up others as ball runners. I see the problem more as a group effort than an individual one. So, as a group, they failed to get enough ball in the right areas of the field to get better metres. This, to me, is much more about their poor discipline, mistakes at set piece and ball control as a group (backs included) then the lack of run metres by Individuals.

That said, they do need to be able to chew gum and walk at the same time and the fact is that, across the board, the run numbers are poor and need to be better for each and every player (Valetini & Leota can probably get a pass for the game).

I am also a bit unsure why Arnold wouldn’t be seen as a primary ball runner, but it doesn’t seem to be how he is being used.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think a lot of the criticism of JOC (James O'Connor) is warranted. Which is strange because his best attribute is running the ball at the line and feeding close runners. But at the moment he isn’t doing that. Even when Paisami made his big break yesterday JOC (James O'Connor) sat deep for the next pass instead of taking it flat and at speed.

But, to be a bit fair to him he’s missed several months rugby, White’s form has been patchy, our forwards have lost cohesion and provided no go forward, Beale gave him nothing, and he doesn’t have the luxury of Koroibete & Kerevi operating in tandem inside and out.

I still think he needs to be better, but he’s not really operating in ideal conditions.
Very fair assessment. Kerevi, cooper and MK added spine to the team that other players fed off - as ikatau was superb with those players against SA but equally failed to be so effective in the absence of these players.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And I’ll add to what I’ve said previously - Skelton may be in superb form (as evidence by his standing in the French comp) but he doesn’t fit the current configuration or our pack. It doesn’t surprise me he is struggling to have any impact on games and I do agree he is on a hiding to nothing.
Yeh I think that sums it up - Skelton good player but just does not fit with what is needed at wallaby level with players / structures / style of play…square peg round hole maybe

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I get:
Arnold: 2 runs for 3m; 2 tackles
Rodda: 1 run for nothing; 3 successful tackles 2 missed
Skelton: 1 run for nothing; tackles nothing

There it is. Our engine house.

Which I could forgive if they were winning scrums.

They aren't, and all of that isn't down to the props - when we're backpedalling but staying straight that means your locks aren't doing their job as well as the other guys.

Rugby follower

Darby Loudon (17)
I honestly didn’t think catch and pass was so difficult. We are making it look like it is one of the most complicated things out. Tom Wight’s effort to catch JOC (James O'Connor) ball in the second half down the short side with space to move was awful, he didn’t go close to catching it. One of many examples of where basic skills are letting us down badly. Plenty of work to do with current squad.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Also we need to train into the young guys what to do when you make a break. They dont have the patience at the moment and always go for the speculative options when we should just settle the ball and go through the phases

They always do this, its so frustrating to watch. Seem to be ingrained in our game for the last 10 years.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Who is our next 10? ... I don’t think Lolesio is... Cooper at present form is clearly the best.... Super rugby next year may see another candidate emerge to be our next best...as for Beale... for an experienced player he had a shocker... not sure who plays there next Test but it shouldn’t be him...

Lolo may develop he is certainly tracking in the right direction but I can also understand your reservations in him. Harrison could be an option. I feel like he is natural 10 with a solid kicking game. Just unfortunate he plays for the shitty Tahs.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Id be getting rid of Wright before Beale. Beale was targeted and I don’t think dropped a high ball - the ‘numerous‘ knock ons that someone referred to before I think was one above his head and one strip, and he also gained one strip. id certainly not be persisting with Kurtley beyond this tour, I’m not making a case for that, but he is there to cover an issue at fullback and did his job. Wright’s trying to secure a place for the future - the future he is not, he’s a proper liability.

As for fly half - JOC (James O'Connor) is not the answer. I think Pasitoa was the Brumbies third string option, but he’s moved to the force so that probably makes him ineligible for selection. Is Kuenzle still at the Brumbies?

Arnold and Skelton can go back to club rugby, Philip and Swain are far better options. Latu was Ok i think in the 30 seconds that Mackellar gave him, he certainly deserves another shot ahead of the Vikings reserve hooker.

I don’t think Perese got on. Hopefully he can get a run in the centres next week, but he’d be a monumental flop if he couldn’t do better than Wright on the wing.

And Nick Berry can fuck right off.

Think about how much of a step down Wright and Beale are to Banks and Koro. Damn Banks looks pretty damn good about now.

I've been disappointed in Wright. There certainly is something very 'Beale' about him, good footwork and does look dangerous with ball in hand, but just makes a lot of errors and some stupid plays.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Think about how much of a step down Wright and Beale are to Banks and Koro. Damn Banks looks pretty damn good about now.

I've been disappointed in Wright. There certainly is something very 'Beale' about him, good footwork and does look dangerous with ball in hand, but just makes a lot of errors and some stupid plays.
Banks still looks bad. Somehow his reputation has improved drastically through absence. Banks is also a massive step down to Koroibete.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

I’m disappointed in Wright this year. But I thought he was excellent last year. Definitely still needed to work on his defence, but played very strongly in attack. Hopefully he’ll rediscover his mojo.

I would prefer they give Daugunu a shot v Wales. And move Kellaway to full back and put Perese on the other wing.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Philip and Swain have a level of aggression and passion that Arnold, Skelton, and Rodda don’t bring. I’ve been surprised they’ve opted for Rodda with Arnold and left Philip in the stands, Philip brings that mad man, won’t back down attitude that can bring the rest of the pack with him.
Rodda is a machine. He does a lot of the work at the coal face and just does not stop. His set piece is also top notch.

Reactions: TSR