• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

England v Australia - Twickenham, 14 Nov, 4:30am AEDT

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It is funny how we swing off these blokes nuts when they perform and then call for their heads when they have a shit game.

Long season, thinning squad and some experimental picks. Plus, really, a game we would rarely expect to win going back more than a decade.

Shit performance, learn your lessons (ie. Maybe the European picks aren't the go) and move on.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Which I could forgive if they were winning scrums.

They aren't, and all of that isn't down to the props - when we're backpedalling but staying straight that means your locks aren't doing their job as well as the other guys.
Our scrum was fronting up against the Saffas fine (the best) . I don't get the mechanics but the outputs following the new selections certainly don't suggest an improvement. Scrum should be a strength of ours.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I’m disappointed in Wright this year. But I thought he was excellent last year. Definitely still needed to work on his defence, but played very strongly in attack. Hopefully he’ll rediscover his mojo.

I would prefer they give Daugunu a shot v Wales. And move Kellaway to full back and put Perese on the other wing.

But what made Wright look so good last year was is composure. He was so cool calm and collected, even under pressure. That seems to be the complete opposite this year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ikitau was good outside of Kerevi(who wouldn’t be) but still had little impact in attack then. Since then our midfield has been ineffective and when he has found space he turns over the pill. I’d run Perese at 13 against Wales and give O’Connor a go to for trucking it up and getting over the gain line.
That means we probably stick with Wright on the wing, because there is no one else, Daugunu on the other and Kellaway reverts to fullback.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Ikitau was good outside of Kerevi(who wouldn’t be) but still had little impact in attack then. Since then our midfield has been ineffective and when he has found space he turns over the pill. I’d run Perese at 13 against Wales and give O’Connor a go to for trucking it up and getting over the gain line.
That means we probably stick with Wright on the wing, because there is no one else, Daugunu on the other and Kellaway reverts to fullback.
I think thats harsh on Ikitau - he's has some pretty great moments in attack that didn't involve Kerevi. Running over Pollard to storm over was as attacking as it gets.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hes not making anything happen or running into holes. He is great defensively but we need to score points. Perese, like Kerevi, can make good yards through traffic and also has a nose for the line. How many times has he turned over the pill in the last two tests? Enough to spend some time on the bench I reckon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I honestly didn’t think catch and pass was so difficult. We are making it look like it is one of the most complicated things out. Tom Wight’s effort to catch JOC (James O'Connor) ball in the second half down the short side with space to move was awful, he didn’t go close to catching it. One of many examples of where basic skills are letting us down badly. Plenty of work to do with current squad.
You don't think that had something to do with JOC (James O'Connor)'s 'no-look' pass which went much too hard, too high and too far in front? I reckon Rory Arnold might have been the only player in the side with the reach to have a chance of pulling that one in. Having said that, I also think there are better options than Tom on the wing. He has issues with his tackling technique and too many brain explosions. It's just that JOC (James O'Connor) had a real shocker and his errors should not be attributed to others.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Rodda is a machine. He does a lot of the work at the coal face and just does not stop. His set piece is also top notch.

Really? I wonder if he thinks that. Rodda seemed to have the lineout calling duties last night yet the first four lineouts all went to Leota. It looked like Arnold and Samu also shared as many lineouts as Rodda di in the whole game.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Banks still looks bad. Somehow his reputation has improved drastically through absence. Banks is also a massive step down to Koroibete.

Banks is an out and out fullback and Koro is an out and out winger, not really a good comparison.

Banks/Hodge, unfortunately is the best we got. Although, not world-beaters I believe both can be solid options. Anything is better then Beale.

Koro is a hard player to replace. I would love to see Perese a shot on the wing for Wright, or Dungunu

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's these sort of games that make you realize just how rare players like Kellaway are in Australian rugby. The guys who aren't flashy and just seem to always make the right decision, and have low error rates.

I put Valentini in that list too. Both players have done everything asked of them this season.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think it could've been any more obvious in that last attacking lineout we had up their end, that the ball was going to Leota...

The lineout formation pretty much had a big red circle around him, and it was not at all surprising that England picked it off.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am warming to Leota. He gets better with every outing and has shown that he has good lineout skills. His running game is superior to that of Swinton and he does not have the same card threat level. Valentini coming along very nicely as well. Our forwards are shaping up despite the poor performance yesterday. There is still a question mark at hooker but this coming Super Rugby season hopefully will sort that out.
I do not think that Arnold and Skelton bring much, particularly the latter. However, since the next RWC is in France we should keep an eye on them and Latu.
Actually I would start Latu this week against Wales and give him a chance to show what he has. FF (Folau Fainga'a) on the bench.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Don't know how anyone can rate Skeleton one way or the other, he's barely played any rugby.

Arnold has looked like exactly what you'd think he'd be. A good pro that is 6'10. Ball carrying has never been his forte, but he's looked good elsewhere, particularly in defensive lineouts/mauls. They shouldn't need him as a primary ball carrier with Tupou, Fainga, Leota, Skeleton, Swinton, Valentini etc.

It'd be nice to see an experimental lineup with Skeleton, Swinton, Noah, Perese, Latu, Dagunu, or at least some of them, getting some playing time next week.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
You don't think that had something to do with JOC (James O'Connor)'s 'no-look' pass which went much too hard, too high and too far in front? I reckon Rory Arnold might have been the only player in the side with the reach to have a chance of pulling that one in. Having said that, I also think there are better options than Tom on the wing. He has issues with his tackling technique and too many brain explosions. It's just that JOC (James O'Connor) had a real shocker and his errors should not be attributed to others.
Ya that was a terrible pass from JOC (James O'Connor)

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
It's these sort of games that make you realize just how rare players like Kellaway are in Australian rugby. The guys who aren't flashy and just seem to always make the right decision, and have low error rates.

I put Valentini in that list too. Both players have done everything asked of them this season.
Interesting..... I seem to remember many on this forum didn’t rate Kellaway.... he is rare, as he is a genuine footballer with great awareness and ability...Hooper too...

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting..... I seem to remember many on this forum didn’t rate Kellaway.... he is rare, as he is a genuine footballer with great awareness and ability...Hooper too...
I think that is because he needed to be on the end of a good backline. He didn't very often have that privilege during his first stint in Super Rugby.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I think that is because he needed to be on the end of a good backline. He didn't very often have that privilege during his first stint in Super Rugby.
True.... rushed into the Super Rugby system way too early after being a hot shot Aussie Schoolboy... a lot to be said for NOT doing that to our youngsters... Lolesio seems to be another one... needed more time to develop before being thrown in against the All Blacks... a catch 22 though because you need the young ones coming through but where do you draw the line about when they are ready to step up?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

oh come on. You can't put that on JOC (James O'Connor). He created beautiful space for Wright, who given his elusiveness in space, had a real opportunity to damage England. If you can't catch that pass then you don't deserve to be playing test footy at all. That was all Wright.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wright and Ikitau are too loose in the carry and with throwing the hail Mary pass at the end. Between them they gave England half of their possession. JOC (James O'Connor) is also guilty of the last second offload that is not worth the risk.