• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

it is about 15 years since i first proposed Nick Mallett for Wallabies or Waratahs coach - almost from the days the Boks fired him.
i can only hope.

my only objection to Mallett is that, as a pom, he wouldn't be able to motivate the Wallabies for the pool game against England in RWC 2015.

This is simply nonsense. A professional coach can't get a team motivated to play another team from the land of his birth?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Also linked to note that the game plan that Link devised and the players executed for 60 minutes had us dominating the game and in a position to win. The lack of execution and poor decision making in the last 20 by the players and in particular the senior players ended up losing it.
Not sure of your point Scotty.
He resigned,he wasn't sacked for poor performance(yet).
I don't think it's a black and white thing.
Undoubtedly he had things to offer the team,on the other side, no one is perfect and above criticism.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
It seems from the presser and various interviews afterwards that the team was working to a plan (such as using the short side and changing the point of the attack) that Link devised. How badly could he have lost the players if they still were working to his plans? Seems strange.

However on the flip side I did notice how fast Hooper exited from the press conference when Link was about to start his statement. It was the fastest he moved all night!
Haven't you listened to the emergency podcast? Apparently it was the Waratahs game plan and not his.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Also linked to note that the game plan that Link devised and the players executed for 60 minutes had us dominating the game and in a position to win. The lack of execution and poor decision making in the last 20 by the players and in particular the senior players ended up losing it.

yes, good points there.
as a matter of interest, who are the "senior players" that are commonly referenced?
i can never quite work out who they are and whether they vary from game to game.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think a lot of last night's success in phase play was down the ABs allowing us clean ball at the breakdown for much of the match. I could be wrong about that, though.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think the last game is a reflection of coaching ability on anyone's part. The Wallabies will have been capable of playing like they did for a while now.

I believe they just played. The lead-up made them hungrier, regardless of their beliefs and respect of the coach.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
This is simply nonsense. A professional coach can't get a team motivated to play another team from the land of his birth?

have another look - you will find some irony in my last sentence
or, were you being also ironic?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
My first thought when I heard about Link?... I was watching him at the end of the game - and I wonder if we have not lost Folau yesterday, As Well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Haven't you listened to the emergency podcast? Apparently it was the Waratahs game plan and not his.
Umm, no, that was a "What if?" scenario painted by Gagger to make a point. He wasn't saying the team played a Waratahs game plan, but that the style for much of the game was the most like that which the Waratahs played, especially later in the season. The question was whether that was the official plan, or something off the cuff from a playing group that had allegedly lost respect for the coach. A hypothetical, not a statement of fact.
The extension of that is why, if there was so much disharmony in the playing group, would they execute a game plan so well, especially if it was thrust upon them by some (Tahs) players only, and off the cuff? It makes no sense. It had to have been practiced, thus Link's plan.
They played well as a team, until the last 5-10 mins when it all went a bit wrong and the ABs went up a gear.
There are a few things that don't add up for me.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
So would you say they just went away from the game plan & started playing what was in front of them. Robbie strikes again. ;)

Also, just saw Campo's tweet saying bringing back White would be a joke. I know I'm making a cardinal sin by actually listening to Campo & taking him seriously but surely Jake White isnt a total joke option.

Campo is right - again... White showed an ultimate and far-ranging distinterest in Autralian Rugby by walking out on the Brumbies... He is after the job for Jake White - not a single individual Australian player will spend much time in his thoughts. And I for one, am not looking forward to four years of Kick-Fests.... (lest we forget)

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Umm, no, that was a "What if?" scenario painted by Gagger to make a point. He wasn't saying the team played a Waratahs game plan, but that the style for much of the game was the most like that which the Waratahs played, especially later in the season. The question was whether that was the official plan, or something off the cuff from a playing group that had allegedly lost respect for the coach. A hypothetical, not a statement of fact.
The extension of that is why, if there was so much disharmony in the playing group, would they execute a game plan so well, especially if it was thrust upon them by some (Tahs) players only, and off the cuff? It makes no sense. It had to have been practiced, thus Link's plan.
They played well as a team, until the last 5-10 mins when it all went a bit wrong and the ABs went up a gear.
There are a few things that don't add up for me.
First time I've listened to a podcast. Really enjoyed it. Agree with much of what you said particularly long-term coaching prospects. Just joking re comment.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I heard an interview with pulver on the radio Sat where he said that the ARU had the hearing scheduled for early last week but KBs lawyers applied to defer the hearing to give them more time to prepare his defence. Pulver said that given the gravity of the situation and the potential for it to end his rugby career they (and the ARU legal counsel) felt it was reasonable to agree to the extension.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Well, he is gone now.... No way they can let him stay now that Patson and Link are gone. He must have p***** himself when he hear the news last night.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I am really sick of all this Jake White is a backstabber he walked out on the Brumbies crap.

First off, he didn't exactly leave them high and dry, He knew Laurie Fisher and Larkham were more then qualified enough to continue his good work.

Secondly, He came to the Brumbies with a goal, that goal was to one day be coach of the wallabies. He knew that goal could not be accomplished in his current position so their was no need for him to stay.

If anyone knows anything about being successful you will know that successful people will do whatever it takes to accomplish their goals. At the end of the day he made the right choice.

It's funny he gets called disloyal, when all he is doing is chasing his goals, like any good person should, yet McKenzie walks out of his national team and is called a Hero.

Any more criticism of Jake White should be directed at his style as a coach and not as his loyalty to the team.

T

Train Without a Station

There is no man that can come in and do what Link was doing. A person like that does not exist as an option right now.
Our priorities have to be
- a bloke who will come with enough gravitas and record of success that the players will respect him and be willing to work with him to win Tests.
- a bloke who has a record of being able to make significant change to results through up-skilling players and optimizing preparation, in a short period of time
- a bloke who has a proven record of excellent man-management
- a bloke who is not daunted by the challenge of seeking a result at the RWC in a short period of time.

Being independent or a new person is not required.

When you look at it through that lens and leave the emotion and hyperbole aside, the two choices are obviously White or Cheika.

Cheika may reportedly not want the job just yet and fair enough, but in that case he may not satisfy criteria 4 at this time.

White is the guy, for the next 11 months at least. Cheika may get a look in in 2016/17, if he's ready.

Simple

I know a bloke exactly like your description.

Unfortunately he just resigned yesterday morning.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm with Seb V on this.

Link has walked out in Aus rugby at the worst possible time. Does anyone remember his using the media to push his agenda to coach Australia, walking out on the reds (look at their form this year and tell me it didnt have an impact).

Thinking back on when Jake left. He made lots accusations that the ARU promised him the job etc... we all thought he was crazy. Given the cock up of the last two weeks and how badly the ARU has handled the situation changes my perspective on it.

T

Train Without a Station

I like these comments about needing a strong coach who doesn't cop any shit.

I must have forgotten all the shit sandwiches from the players that Link ate in his 4 years at the Reds.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm with Seb V on this.

Link has walked out in Aus rugby at the worst possible time. Does anyone remember his using the media to push his agenda to coach Australia, walking out on the reds (look at their form this year and tell me it didnt have an impact).

Thinking back on when Jake left. He made lots accusations that the ARU promised him the job etc. we all thought he was crazy. Given the cock up of the last two weeks and how badly the ARU has handled the situation changes my perspective on it.

Walking out? He made a decision to move on in a years time with a successor appointed to take over from him over the next year.

Jake white bailed on his contract because he didn't get the job that would mean he would bail on his job he was contracted for anyway.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I am really sick of all this Jake White is a backstabber he walked out on the Brumbies crap.

First off, he didn't exactly leave them high and dry, He knew Laurie Fisher and Larkham were more then qualified enough to continue his good work.

Secondly, He came to the Brumbies with a goal, that goal was to one day be coach of the wallabies. He knew that goal could not be accomplished in his current position so their was no need for him to stay.

If anyone knows anything about being successful you will know that successful people will do whatever it takes to accomplish their goals. At the end of the day he made the right choice.

It's funny he gets called disloyal, when all he is doing is chasing his goals, like any good person should, yet McKenzie walks out of his national team and is called a Hero.

Any more criticism of Jake White should be directed at his style as a coach and not as his loyalty to the team.

What is that - an Order?

I am questioning his Loyalty: STRAIGHT UP and FLAT OUT.

I don't agree with what Link did - but the circumstances are quite different - and if you don't think that a Wallaby Coach ought to have some level of loyalty to Australian Rugby - and show some inclination towards its success at various levels of the game, you are a bigger fool than you sound.

It was a primary problem with picking Deans at the time. Now I hear he (White) has walked out on another club as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.