• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tell me then who are the high accuracy and distance kickers that he would call on to execute the plan? That is the point I am making.If there was 18 months before the RWC no worries there is time to upskill in some facets. But there is not.

It is the point I made at the 2011 RWC when Deans went for a conservative territory game plan and then played Cooper at 10 and left Gerrard in Australia.

I would also state that the game is dying here and winning the RWC in dire style will do nothing at all to resurrect the game.
I'm sure Jake would start with the players he knows best in your setup in Mogg and Lealifano who I think are both good kickers. Mogg has a bit of a boot on him too.

Then, just as he helped their development I'm sure he can facilitate the development of various others. Perhaps he could further aid Cooper in bringing more balance to his game and turn the shaky To'omua into something better.

Let's face it, for all his talents Folau isn't a great kicker of the pill but even he could improve.

JP Pietersen was considered good but lacked a bit of defensive nous and had slight kicking deficiencies so White changed that.

We didn't have the best kicking fullbacks so he got Percy to return to the setup. He also brought OS du Randt out of retirement.

All I'm saying is, the guy has a proven track record so it may be worthwile giving him a shot.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm sure Jake would start with the players he knows best in your setup in Mogg and Lealifano who I think are both good kickers. Mogg has a bit of a boot on him too.

Then, just as he helped their development I'm sure he can facilitate the development of various others. Perhaps he could further aid Cooper in bringing more balance to his game and turn the shaky To'omua into something better.

Let's face it, for all his talents Folau isn't a great kicker of the pill but even he could improve.

JP Pietersen was considered good but lacked a bit of defensive nous and had slight kicking deficiencies so White changed that.

We didn't have the best kicking fullbacks so he got Percy to return to the setup. He also brought OS du Randt out of retirement.

All I'm saying is, the guy has a proven track record so it may be worthwile giving him a shot.

As previously mentioned. White would not pick Mogg. He stated he is not ready for Test Rugby and when he was picked at fullback for the wallabies he said it was to soon, despite the fact Mogg was the form fullback in super xv. I think you underestimate his ability as picking a strong team. Falou will be in the team with White, don't be ridiculous.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
As previously mentioned. White would not pick Mogg. He stated he is not ready for Test Rugby and when he was picked at fullback for the wallabies he said it was to soon, despite the fact Mogg was the form fullback in super xv. I think you underestimate his ability as picking a strong team. Falou will be in the team with White, don't be ridiculous.
This is two years ago, yes?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

Please don't think that a kicking game is the answer to Australia's rugby fortunes and that Jake is the saviour.
Jake had To'omua at the Brumbies. If To'omua is shaky, what is Mogg?
Did Jake develop Nic White's box kicking?
I don't want Folau to kick the ball unless it's out on the full at full time, and we're in front.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
What I find odd is the disbelief that a coach can improve players. Willie le Roux entered the Springbok frame on his running ability. He had the ability to make cunning chip kicks or grubbers but didn't really have much of a kicking game other than that.

He was employed at Full Back regardless of the fact he was a wing for the Cheetahs and he was taught to kick. He proved his worth in the department on last year's EYOT in pretty drab European conditions and had Folau's number in this regard this year in Perth.

Against the All Blacks in our last game he again displayed his abilities by pinning the ball in their half with some clever kicks.

There is nothing to suggest a player can't improve his game.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rick Charlsworth - he manages the shit and the assistant coaches look after the rugby
He is actually a great option, one of the best sports coaches in the country and knows how to manage politicians so will be able to handle the clowns in this side.

Anyone else think it was disrespectful of Hooper to leave the press conference before Links announcement? The sooner Poey is back starting for the Wallabies the better. True on field leader who should come back with more hunger than ever after the last two years.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't want Folau to kick the ball unless it's out on the full at full time, and we're in front.
I respect the player's natural abilities. He is more of a runner, yes, but it wouldn't hurt to improve his kicking.

Perth this year showed how much of an issue it can be for him and ultimately the team. Next year on the soggy, heavy pitches you can bet your ass he'll get to field a host of tricky kicks where clearance and metres gained will be vital. More so during knockout games - oh wait, all the games in group A are pretty much knockout games.

In a tight game against Wales I'm sure Halfpenny will have a crack at the territorial game. Poor clearance from Folau will result in gains for Wales for example.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
never seen genia do aimless, useless box kicks in his career.:D

all this concentration on whites last kick. Nothing about his long range penalty to get us in with a shot.

We were already in front when he kicked the penalty - it just took the lead from 3pts to 6pts. With 7 pts for a converted try it still left us in the danger range. And the rest as they say is history.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I respect the player's natural abilities. He is more of a runner, yes, but it wouldn't hurt to improve his kicking.

Perth this year showed how much of an issue it can be for him and ultimately the team. Next year on the soggy, heavy pitches you can bet your ass he'll get to field a host of tricky kicks where clearance and metres gained will be vital. More so during knockout games - oh wait, all the games in group A are pretty much knockout games.

In a tight game against Wales I'm sure Halfpenny will have a crack at the territorial game. Poor clearance from Folau will result in gains for Wales for example.

If you read your earlier post you seem obsessed with kicking.
Agree that kicking can be improved but have no interest in us basing our game on it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is this just speculation or do you have a source. Cheika is a good choice, If he comes and with the style the Tahs played this season it will be easier to adapt then Jake White's style.

However no experience at test level so he's coming in as an unknown.

And has the added risk of buring two quality coaches at once.

Kate Elizabeth

Herbert Moran (7)
Pulver: When I took this role and inherited Robbie Deans, Robbie was in an environment where he did not necessarily have complete control over the coaching staff around him, or necessarily around the playing group. SO the first objective I had when we appointed Ewen as Wallaby coach, was not only be accountable for the performance of that team, but also have the tools in place to deliver the results we wanted. So in essence I allowed Ewen to hire all of the off field team around him, and to essentially control the on field environment that he was working with. That still doesn't stop me from reflecting on areas where I perhaps I should have given him more support.
In other words this is all on Ewen. Pulver is a spineless prick.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
A kicking game would do an awful lot of good. Would joe roff have run that ball back into contact last night when Tomane did? No, he would have kicked it 50+ metres.

As much as I love the Joe Roff reference, it's like comparing Colin Slade to Dan Carter.
But I also completely agree, you need a winger who can do more than run. Tomane showed he can chip, but that's about it, and it's something the new coach will have to work on. Folau probably needs the same coaching.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well, it might long term, but it's not possible between now and RWC 2015.

the philosophy behind TGC's approach is interminable.
it has been well trialled and proved at all levels of the game for closing on 100 years.
Bob Dwyer won a World Cup applying that philosophy.

the problem is, as you point out, that it takes time to get players to learn all they need to know and to apply that knowledge instinctively and with trust for their team mates.
11 months and eight (?) games is far too short for the learning.

let's not even think about RWC 2015.
let's try to develop five good Soup squads and a Wallaby squad playing coherent and cohesive rugby.
if we can do that, we may have a chance at RWC 2019.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Disappointing that to some (not all) Qld and ACT supporters this comes down to a state issue onse again. It's all the Tahs fault, sack all the Tahs etc etc.
Before the usual Tahs bias statements are made, let me say, I supported Link's appointment, I wanted him to stay for the WC, and I would have made Horwill captain (as I said on another thread). However the facts are:
1. Link lost the respect of the player, he said so himself. That's untenable, he did the right thing to resign. If a CEO doesn't have the respect (not popularity, respect) of his staff, the business simply won't work.
2. Link appointed Hooper captain, he made Beale 10 for the first two Bled tests, he elected not to choose players going overseas, thus eliminating his previous captain, he chose not to select Horwill, he employed Patston. Not suggesting any of these were right or wrong decisions, but in the real world, you make your decisions, you wear the consequences
3. Yes, Hooper's support of Beale was clumsy, but I have yet to hear him (or anyone else for that matter) condone what Beale did. Likewise I haven't at any point heard Hooper not express support for Link. He expressed his support before this test, and again after it.
4. Apart from on here, I have haven't heard anyone suggest the loss of support for Link among the team was a Waratah instigated thing.
5. As to the press, each side was leaking selected information to their pet journos. That's how it works in any controversial situation, unfortunately.
6. Finally, as to Beale getting off lightly, until we have heard the outcome of his case, any comment here is mere guesswork.

Status
Not open for further replies.