• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ewen McKenzie Resignation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm gutted about EM having to resign.
I'll be totally gutted if Beale isn't rubbed out like JOC (James O'Connor) was.
Reality for the game is that the ARU has no money and has tried to do things on the cheap.
The players need to realise what the equation is.
EM sacrificing himself could well be the catalyst for a renewed effort and push towards #1 and the RWC. Without Beale the grub.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
None of which happened until the situation had already spiralled out of control and Patston had resigned.

I don't think it really changes the situation a whole lot to come out after everything has already completely unravelled for Patston and say that she's a lovely person and she didn't deserve for any of it to happen to her.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was Lilo in the squad all year?
Cooper had just come in,Moore has been out injured...
Hardly a ringing endorsement from your key players.

Yes, Lilo was in the squad all year........

But Patston has been involved in the squad since last year anyways so Cooper and Moore's injuries this year are irrelevant............

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Yes, Lilo was in the squad all year....

But Patston has been involved in the squad since last year anyways so Cooper and Moore's injuries this year are irrelevant....

Again though, it's not exactly a united front is it? If anything it just makes the group look more fractured and factionalised..

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
Surely this is just as much speculative bullshit as everything else.

Yes, Skelton and Jones were picked to play their home tests during the June series. If you're selecting a group of players and planning to give them all a crack during the series, why wouldn't you pick them for their home test? McKenzie picked three uncapped locks for that series and they all got a run.

Reading something into Cooper being picked for the Brisbane test seems ridiculous. Everyone has been waiting for him to regain his fitness to rejoin the Wallabies. The pathway back into the 23 was made smoother by Beale removing himself from contention. Cooper was then the obvious reserve flyhalf regardless of where the match was played.

Your reply is even more speculation, Beale when on the bench generally came on as 12 not 10, and if QC (Quade Cooper)'s inclusion was a pathway back into the side why wasn't he put on the field at any stage, it did seem aparent his skills would be helpful towards the end of the game, especially considering other players were showing signs of tiredness.

And of course using Beale as 10 in the opening games of the Rugby Championship against the All Blacks is what every sane coach would do, given Veale hadn't played much 10 for quite a long time... riiiiiggghhht...

Hmm if you follow that logic as the way Link's coaching works, then Cooper should have started at 10 last weekend.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Again though, it's not exactly a united front is it? If anything it just makes the group look more fractured and factionalised..

Well, they're the only players who we can attribute direct quotes regarding Patston's character to.............

3 senior players including the current Wallaby captain, the previous captain, and previous vice-captain................

It was also reported early in the scandal that Patston was very popular amongst the PI players in the squad..............

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Matt burkes articles are all awful. He must have the biggest gap between amazing player and awful pundit that I've ever observed.

There's some stiff competition for that prize if you include the entire Fox commentary team in the list of candidates ;)

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Fuck - Hooper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) came out strongly "supporting" a teammate. No-ne has condoned the SMS's of KB (Kurtley Beale). No-one,

The "rest" of the players should have shut up at least until the end of the "investigation". That still has not been completed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I find it interesting that people seem to think that hiring Patston was a mistake by Link. How? And where is the proof?

Should his thinking have been this playing group are too immature to have a female working with them and one of them will no doubt send inappropriate texts to her and the team the day after they meet her, I'd best not bring her along? Most of them deal with female staff with there Super teams, I know both the Tah's and Brumbies have female doctors.

Links mistake was that he seemed to think that they would all act like grown ups, which all but one managed to do.

All this crap from former players annoys me and shows that there are more issues in Australia Rugby than I thought. Just because someone didn't play test rugby doesn't mean they can't manage a team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Fuck - Hooper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) came out strongly "supporting" a teammate. No-ne has condoned the SMS's of KB (Kurtley Beale). No-one,

The "rest" of the players should have shut up at least until the end of the "investigation". That still has not been completed.

I agree with Robinson when she says that the players have every right to defend their team-mate, but as an organisation it's not a good look to have inconsistent messaging like that.

Ideally in a situation like this you want to have a coherent media strategy the is uniformly repeated by all the members of your staff and team. Instead what we had was something resembling the Labor party when Rudd was white-anting them with leaks and destabilising rumours.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
I find it interesting that people seem to think that hiring Patston was a mistake by Link. How? And where is the proof?

Outside of all the stuff about Linkedin and spider-bites and all that stuff, I think the main thing people wanted to know was why he didn't consider hiring a player manager with a strong player manager background.

Sure, she might have been brilliant as his assistant at the Reds, but it looks a little like she was thrown in the deep-end here and the learning curve just may have been too steep.

That goes to questions of judgement for both McKenzie and Pulver, and rightly so. That's certainly not Patston's fault - if I'd have been offered the job I'd have taken it too! I mean what a great opportunity. But all the same, to appoint a player manager for your flagship brand that actually doesn't have a stellar resume in that area was always going to be a risk.

Put it this way - Link turned down the Wallabies job when it was first offered to him because he didn't think he had the experience yet, so it's only fair people ask why appointed someone into such an important role without a strong track record in similar positions.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The fallout is destined to continue;

Getting Moore back to Captaincy is a positive. Seems to be a bit of criticism of Hooper and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) re support of KB (Kurtley Beale) and questions over Hooper's on-field captaincy, leadership, decision making blah blah. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s gone anyway.

Don't care that Hooper is 22. The ARU should have assisted him a lot more in the KB (Kurtley Beale) saga, particularly given his young age.

The ARU has no money, they can't afford a team manager let alone PR training

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Outside of all the stuff about Linkedin and spider-bites and all that stuff, I think the main thing people wanted to know was why he didn't consider hiring a player manager with a strong player manager background.

Sure, she might have been brilliant as his assistant at the Reds, but it looks a little like she was thrown in the deep-end here and the learning curve just may have been too steep.

That goes to questions of judgement for both McKenzie and Pulver, and rightly so. That's certainly not Patston's fault - if I'd have been offered the job I'd have taken it too! I mean what a great opportunity. But all the same, to appoint a player manager for your flagship brand that actually doesn't have a stellar resume in that area was always going to be a risk.

Put it this way - Link turned down the Wallabies job when it was first offered to him because he didn't think he had the experience yet, so it's only fair people ask why appointed someone into such an important role without a strong track record in similar positions.

The obvious conclusion is that Link didn't have the finances available to hire ideal candidates with a strong player manager background.

So with the resources available he chose someone he thought could do the job based on her previous (three years?) at the reds.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Can you show me the proof that she wasn't up to it? It seems to be taken as fact but all I've heard is that she has saved the ARU $600,000 (from Link) and a few players have said they liked her.

Also where are all these other people who could do the job? There are 5 Super teams in Aust and he took one of the people from these teams to do the Wallaby job. Seems to make sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.