• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Farr-Jones ?traitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't necessarily disagree with Farr-Jones' sentiments, but I don't think he needs to voice them at the beginning of a RWC. The coaches are obviously aware of what QC (Quade Cooper) has been doing, they've maybe even put him up to it, so I don't think that any good can come of sandbagging QC (Quade Cooper) in the media. If anything it could have an effect on his playing confidence at exactly the time that he needs it most.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't necessarily disagree with Farr-Jones' sentiments, but I don't think he needs to voice them at the beginning of a RWC. The coaches are obviously aware of what QC (Quade Cooper) has been doing, they've maybe even put him up to it, so I don't think that any good can come of sandbagging QC (Quade Cooper) in the media. If anything it could have an effect on his playing confidence at exactly the time that he needs it most.

Lots of people talk about Quades confidence, honestly the guy is starting fly for the wallabies, if an article is going to effect the way he plays then he shouldn't be in the squad.

He is cocky as shit, I think we need to stop worrying.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
This is a different point isn't it? It's not about the merits of what Cooper does (although clearly opinions on that will colour any debate around the topic) but more about whether pundits have a duty to particular teams - particularly if they used to play on that team.

For the sake of the argument though, we can use a different example. Like, should more ex-player columns be like Slatts on G&GR, where he swears, rips on refs and explains rugby mainly through beer metaphors.

The answer, clearly, is yes.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I had no issue with Farr Jones points. I think the Quade's a dick thing has been blown out of all proportion in NZ to the point its silly, but a dick is still a dick. He needs to be better than that and I'd be astonished if Deans, Nucifora and co haven't already told Quade so.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think it's anymore blown out of proportion than the anti richie hate is here, it's just there a lot more passionate over there including there media than we are.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
There seems to be a wide assumption that Quade's niggle will cause a negative outcome for him, but that isn't necessarily true. The reason players use niggle is that it often works to achieve a result. It may not be pretty, but it's a part of the game, and a part that fans only see a tiny subset of. Its purpose is to provoke a noncompetitive reaction. A lot of what journalists are fantasizing about McCaw or the ABs doing are good examples of noncompetitive reactions.

D

daz

Another QC (Quade Cooper)/RMcC thread......how exciting!

The only thing that bothers me is the inference that NFJ is a traitor. Really? Our RWC winning captain and Wallaby Hall-of-Famer?

I know this is all good fun and I'm sure no harm intended, but let's be careful throwing words like that around.....

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Maybe you're right WJ but I have seen plenty of people dismiss the Richie is a cheat stuff. It's always seemed tongue in cheek to me, the guy is a class act. Not to say he's some kind of angel, but he is text book professional. Which of course just makes Quade even more of a dick. And I'd like to see him stop. Public Enemy No 1 is still silly. Flattering to Quade in a dumbass way, but silly.

Groucho - agree completely. My eyes got opened one day in 88 at Eden Park, ABs vs France. Saw a side of McDowell I never knew existed. Damn he was sneaky with those fists. Rugby is a mental game too, before game as well, and even the coaches aren't afraid to use media niggle. Look at the mischief Hansen sowed the other week so successfully.

Point being I'd like to see more rugby and less cult of personality.

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
I reackon Quade os a bit of a pussy - but he has obviously been given the job of annoying ritchie and its working. The genia try in Brisbane a great example. Quade is in RM's face the preceeding ruck, Thorn comes over to back up RM, QC (Quade Cooper) frees himself and drifts right, BT wanting to hammer QC (Quade Cooper) drifts with him, leaving a couple of slow fat forwards and a gap a mile wide for Genia to go through. Brilliant stuff.

The bloke who has promoted someone giving QC (Quade Cooper) a belting highlights for me what is wrong with teh AB's: "Let him know he's playing the All Blacks". Guys, you are a great rugby side with a great history, but trying to still promote the AB Aura, after not winning a WC in 24 years is beating the deadest of dead horses. This whole myth about having to respect the all blacks, the Haka, their culture....it is just BS. They are no more deserving of our respet then we are of theres - and they show very little.

Cheers

Quade was in RM's face? Have a look at it (about 1:18). Quade comes in and clears out RM and then cops an elbow across the face. Quade then follows it up with abit of push and shove. Hardly seems premeditated. Do we really believe he is that clever?[video=youtube;W-ZNPgiI-kA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ZNPgiI-kA&feature=feedu[/video]

Cassius88

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lots of people talk about Quades confidence, honestly the guy is starting fly for the wallabies, if an article is going to effect the way he plays then he shouldn't be in the squad.

He is cocky as shit, I think we need to stop worrying.

You've jumped on the last sentence of my post, which is the smallest part of what I was saying. I don't think NFJ is wrong, I just don't see the use of him saying it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
The bloke who has promoted someone giving QC (Quade Cooper) a belting highlights for me what is wrong with teh AB's: "Let him know he's playing the All Blacks". Guys, you are a great rugby side with a great history, but trying to still promote the AB Aura, after not winning a WC in 24 years is beating the deadest of dead horses. This whole myth about having to respect the all blacks, the Haka, their culture....it is just BS. They are no more deserving of our respet then we are of theres - and they show very little.

Cheers

Read some crap in my time but this is well up there.

Aura - you mention it, we don't... What does that tell you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I had no issue with Farr Jones points. I think the Quade's a dick thing has been blown out of all proportion in NZ to the point its silly, but a dick is still a dick. He needs to be better than that and I'd be astonished if Deans, Nucifora and co haven't already told Quade so.

I thought the NZ press had been calling him a duck. Now it makes a lot more sense.

All I've been hearing from NZ reporters is "Quade is such a duck."

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
Respect for the Haka is respect for Maori culture,not necessarily those performing it. Bigger and tougher men than Quade Cooper have been frustrated enough by Richie McCaw and have tried, but not managed to put him off his game. I've watched him play since he was a kid,there is, and never has been any dirt in his play.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Love the way Rocky & Richie clean each other out @ 14secs - Bears wrestling stuff that.
I also like the way Rocky has learnt from RMC and joins the ruck illegally from the side.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
True, Bon. Except that for the first time ever, it seems to be working.

I'm completely astounded at Farr-Jones's comments. In NFJ's day, there's NO WAY any of the boys would put up with an elbow in the face, or never think about niggling an opponent. The 2011 Wallabies are much cleaner than the 1991 Wallabies. I think Nick is remembering things through rose coloured glasses. Which is fine, but for god's sake, please don't put "Richie McCaw" and "respect" in the same sentence ever again.

Nick, I hope you're happy, 'cause I'm pretty sure you made naza cry into his corn flakes this morning. Dead set harden up, belter!

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's a idiocy from NFJ. FFS Cooper is absolutely, clearly, head and shoulders-ly, one of Australia's finest rugby assets and not only was he an utterly decisive figure in the Reds' S15 success, but is almost as much so for the 2011 Wallabies.

NFJ's public berating - and the use of 'boofhead' no less - what possible constructive benefit does this have for any part of the Wallabies RWC campaign? It's little but a absolute gem of a gift to the NZ rugby media (and, of course, the silently waiting Minister for Bad Manners). Why not at least balance up such comments with a positive recognition of Cooper's major contributions? Who would the amateur-era, media-attention-hungry NFJ like to have for a much-better-mannered Wallabies RWC 10 - Barnes? Or Giteau back? Come on, really.

I also recall most vividly NFJ's ringing endorsement of Burgess as a future Wallabies 9 in 2008. Totally OTT. Burgess went on to evolve into the.....the 9 who could never, ever master the art of rapid precision passing out of the ruck when it mattered in Tests.

So amusing all the precious words of advice from Wallaby supporters re 'respecting the ABs and HRH R McCaw'. Whenever have we been so respected by them? There is no greater consistent very, very long sporting run of defeats and humiliations of a major Australian sporting team that that successfully imposed upon Australia by the ABs decade after decade after decade. I for one wish a successful reversal of that tide, and I have no problem with a bit of niggle and counter-niggle to do it, 99% of which has been minor and utterly harmless.

When the Australian cricket team ushered in its period of sustained world dominance and pioneered extremes of sledging of opposition batsmen in the process, and which S Waugh openly and proudly termed as part of his team's 'the object is mental disintegration of the opposition' plan, no one really batted an eyelid here in Australia (we just loved the winning and more winning); it was Pommy journalists that were always outraged (until England started adopting the same tactics). As Groucho has astutely pointed out, the type of niggle that QC (Quade Cooper) is employing is an obviously team-endorsed ploy to unsettle the ABs and get them energised in an uncompetitive direction, a form of cleverly induced distraction. And it just might be working.

G

GC

FitzSimmons used to play under NFJ, didn't he? No player in the history of rugby has committed more niggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.