• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fiji v Australia A 1:30pm Saturday 9 July

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Phoenix

Sydney Middleton (9)
How did Matt Faessler go? Didn't see the game but he is a USQ junior and I'm enjoying his rise through the ranks.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Tane did very well this season for the Tah's, but everytime I see Donaldson play I feel like he's got a greater ceiling than Tane.
I probably agree…. didn't he get picked in the Wallaby squad earlier this year pre his injury?
Edmed is still solid…. although his last two games v Chiefs and Samoa showed he has a little way to go..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How did Matt Faessler go? Didn't see the game but he is a USQ junior and I'm enjoying his rise through the ranks.

Mixed. Considering his season he did damn well. I haven’t seen stats but feel he missed a bunch of tackles. But did some really good things too. I’m a big fan and reckon he’s good enough to take the next step.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I was quite impressed. Have to say I didn't see the missed tackles mentioned by Reg but they probably occurred before I started to take notice. He was busy and I think close to 100% on lineout throws.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I've just watched the game. A pretty good contest, a bloody good performance of Australia A. Give this team more games and interesting things are gonna happen.

Fiji is a tought rival with so many strong ball carriers like Tamanivalu, Botia, Tuisova and Mataele. It was a good defense effort IMO despite the tries conceded, I thought they were going to be crushed by Fijians after the Samoa game

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I probably agree…. didn't he get picked in the Wallaby squad earlier this year pre his injury?
Edmed is still solid…. although his last two games v Chiefs and Samoa showed he has a little way to go..
Donaldson is also slightly ahead in terms of first team time with the Tahs. Edmed has benefitted from playing time in the Shute shield week in and week out (something the U20s should look at instead of cotton wooling). Donaldson seems to have those unteachable quirks that can make something out of nothing.

Good problems to have.

Rae Rae

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
There is something to be said for young blokes coming up against gnarly old veterans early on to accelerate their learning. It's always been the way in cricket, for instance.
Even more so for tight five players.

Not even all gnarly vets. You have 24-28 year olds who were in the academies, played overseas, 7s and all want your spot in a super rugby team. Seeing Porecki, Neville and even the Arnold Brothers shows what it can do.

Minutes in the legs in real games is invaluable. Following the last few Covid years and how short some of the Schoolboy seasons are, there would be some 20-21 year olds who would of played less than 10 full games in 3 years. The same kid in France could be 50-60.

Rae Rae

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I’ll regret this but I’ve never rated him and never seen him have a good game.

Highly touted school boy of pure natural ability and physical look at that age. To think he was spoken about as a future Wallaby. Same thing as a Jack Debreczeni.

Rae Rae
Crusaders couldn't even fix that. Remember there was a time that it was either Volavola or Mounga

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I saw a bit of him when he was at Newington, the hype then was he was a mature footballer for his age. I didn’t get that, to me he’d always go the highlight reel plays; the immaculate 3 man cut-out on a 2 man overlap when draw and pass would’ve made the try scorers job a lot easier, the chip and chase straight into his opposition 5/8ths arms inside his own quarter. That being said, he was a nice kid.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I saw a bit of him when he was at Newington, the hype then was he was a mature footballer for his age. I didn’t get that, to me he’d always go the highlight reel plays; the immaculate 3 man cut-out on a 2 man overlap when draw and pass would’ve made the try scorers job a lot easier, the chip and chase straight into his opposition 5/8ths arms inside his own quarter. That being said, he was a nice kid.
Sorry, who are you talking about?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Glad to hear he's a nice guy. Never seen him do anything to make me think otherwise.

His style needs to be scaled back when playing with Fiji. The French style of 10 which he is most like IMO doesn't fit their need. You almost need to be like a Jail Rugby (League) Dummy Half and get the ball straight out and give the backs time and space. Direct the team around the field but keep it simple and let the magic happen.

Big game for Aus A coming up. Tonga want that first win and players will be wanting spots in their WC qualification match v Hong Kong. Hope our boys don't have half an eye on their offseason plans.

Rae Rae

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
He must have been a decent footballer at that age as I believe he played Shute Shield when he was in Year 12 at Newington.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
He must have been a decent footballer at that age as I believe he played Shute Shield when he was in Year 12 at Newington.
I think as he emigrated from Fiji halfway through school and went to whatever grade he was in was there when he came over he was too old to play GPS rugby in year 12. But you’re right he could’ve still played colts instead of SS.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Off topic I know, but that reminded me of Russel Fairfax in 1971 playing fullback for NSW against Scotland at the SCG while he was still in year 12 at Randwick Boys High.

Status
Not open for further replies.