• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Curtis Rona coming back? That's big. He's still got it.
Still to be seen but this apears positive

Former Force outside centre Rona, who has three Wallaby caps, is currently with English premiership club London Irish.

He has two years left on his contact but has asked for an early release.

“He is exploring his options,” Hodgson said.

“Our name is out there but we want him to get the release before we go hard at him.”

Rona was born in New Zealand, moved to Perth when he was eight, played for Wanneroo and WA junior representative sides.

He also played junior rugby league in WA before joining NRL sides Sydney Roosters, North Queensland and Canterbury Bulldogs and played for the junior Kiwis and New Zealand Maori.

He moved to the Force in 2016 and made 14 Super appearances. When the club was axed he moved to the Waratahs before heading to London Irish three years ago.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/western...ture-c-7396842

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I was critical of the kiwi winger signing but Hegarty and Sio signings (assuming they come off) are brilliant signings.

Bravo.

I actually don’t get the criticism of kiwi signing on bigger picture basis as I got your view he is never going to be eligible for wallabies but I think looking for ‘mature’ overseas players who can help bolster squad depth given limited top quality oz rugby players available has proven to the force to be a winning strategy. Given retirement of a few of those I think they can afford to sign the kiwi winger who brings super rugby pedigree.

And lastly let’s face it with tough market for talent with increasing overseas competition (Japan) offering more dollars you need to be more innovative with your recruitment strategy which I think the force have been.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Starting to take shape for next year now if all these come off;

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Robertson
4. McCauley
5. Rodda
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Wells
9. IFL
10. Pasitoa
11. Mataele
12. Kuenzle
13. Rona
14. Pulu
15. Tiatia

16. Kaitu'u
17. Abra / Lloyd
18. ?
19. Williams/Pugh
20. Callan
21. Prior / McDonald if staying?
22. Macintyre / Hegarty
23. Strachan

Still lacking quality/depth at prop, lock, fly half

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Starting to take shape for next year now if all these come off;

1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Robertson
4. McCauley
5. Rodda
6. Anstee
7. Koteka
8. Wells
9. IFL
10. Pasitoa
11. Mataele
12. Kuenzle
13. Rona
14. Pulu
15. Tiatia

16. Kaitu'u
17. Abra / Lloyd
18. ?
19. Williams/Pugh
20. Callan
22. Macintyre / Hegarty
23. Strachan

Still lacking quality/depth at prop, lock, fly half
Macintyre gone

Thalium

Larry Dwyer (12)
1. Sio
2. Fainga'a
3. Robertson
4. McCauley
5. Rodda
6. Wells
7. Koteka
8. Anstee
9. IFL
10. Pasitoa
11. Mataele
12. Kuenzle
13. Rona
14. Pulu
15. Tiatia

16. Kaitu'u
17. Lloyd
18. Abra
19. Williams/Pugh
20. Callan
22. Hegarty
23. Strachan

Starting to look real good hopefully the team organises a lot of preseason games and training.
Certainly we have the players and the Coaching team to make an impression next year

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Force, or Reds, should grab Harrison. IMHO he's got the most upside of the three Tahs' five-eighths but he's at the back of the queue behind Edmed and Donaldson due to some very poorly timed injuries. And the other two have grabbed their opportunities with both hands.

Be a crying shame if he goes to Japan or, heaven forbid, MLR.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Force, or Reds, should grab Harrison. IMHO he's got the most upside of the three Tahs' five-eighths but he's at the back of the queue behind Edmed and Donaldson due to some very poorly timed injuries. And the other two have grabbed their opportunities with both hands.

He'd be perfect back up to JO'C at Reds.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

He's not at the back of the queue IMO. He was in the team regularly before a season ending injury.

I agree, though. He has the most upside of the three. Take Donaldson please.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
1. Edmed
2. Donaldson
3. Harrison
Yeh even as a tahs fan I lean towards it would be better from oz rugby perspective if one of those went to another oz super rugby franchise. Actually hard for me to say which one I would give up though as let’s face it they are all bloody talented and all I reckon have more upside. Nice problem to have.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
1. Edmed
2. Donaldson
3. Harrison
After watching the Aus U20s Bowen is going to be on this list soon enough.

Harrison started the season as the no.1 option but others have jumped him after getting their opportunity and his unfortunate injury.

Harrison has a good skill set but doesn't have that X factor (don't ask me what that is) yet, even though he reminds me of Bernard Foley a lot. I'd love to see him stay in Australia.

Force are recruiting really well and retaining the players they want to keep. The Reds would be jealous...

Rae Rae

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
After watching the Aus U20s Bowen is going to be on this list soon enough.

Harrison started the season as the no.1 option but others have jumped him after getting their opportunity and his unfortunate injury.

Harrison has a good skill set but doesn't have that X factor (don't ask me what that is) yet, even though he reminds me of Bernard Foley a lot. I'd love to see him stay in Australia.

Force are recruiting really well and retaining the players they want to keep. The Reds would be jealous...

Rae Rae
What is crazy is not long ago we had a Shortage of 10s where now seem to have very good crop plus others coming up through the pathways.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Yet whenever Harrison has been fit, he has always been in front of at least one of those.
That's how the season started but he was fit for a few games towards the end of the year and left on the bench. I know injuries are unfortunate and unavoidable but sometimes the best ability is availability. Injury gave Edmed a chance and I think the 10 jersey at the Tahs is his at this stage.

Anyway this is a Force thread so no need to tarnish it with Tah talk.

Rae Rae

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Would be good to have one of them but im also really happy with the development of Pasitoa.

A young WA boys with heaps of room to improve. He has the kind of flair people go to the game to watch.

I think as tahs has shown healthy when have at least 2 good 10s (super rugby ready) competing for starting position. So at this point, I would say reds (feeling generous to include them lol), force, and rebels could do with another quality 10. Iona pretty good for brumbies as back up 10 so assume need not so much there at brumbies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies would definitely have someone in their sights or in the system. Iona is 30 and was due to join the MLR after Gordon won the Shute Shield but was called in last minute to the Brumbies. He will probably want to stay leading into the WC as he would be the front runner for the Samoan 10 jersey.

Would think they would go a younger player as it probably isn't the most desirable for an established 10 with it being Loloseio's jersey.

Rae Rae

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brumbies would definitely have someone in their sights or in the system. Iona is 30 and was due to join the MLR after Gordon won the Shute Shield but was called in last minute to the Brumbies. He will probably want to stay leading into the WC as he would be the front runner for the Samoan 10 jersey.

Would think they would go a younger player as it probably isn't the most desirable for an established 10 with it being Loloseio's jersey.

Rae Rae
Yeh good point did not know 30 and history. Put brumbies definitely on that list.