• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Sharks - 2011R03

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

centreman

Most of the articles I read about the Sanzar ruling on Sideys suspension said he did not contest the charge of a dangerous tackle so he is taking it on the chin and accepting his actions. However if it was league he would have been put on report and not sent off but would still have probably got the 3 weeks which is a better system rather than decisions made in the heat of the moment by referees changing the course of the game.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Most of the articles I read about the Sanzar ruling on Sideys suspension said he did not contest the charge of a dangerous tackle so he is taking it on the chin and accepting his actions. However if it was league he would have been put on report and not sent off but would still have probably got the 3 weeks which is a better system rather than decisions made in the heat of the moment by referees changing the course of the game.

Perhaps...of course one could argue that the ref didn't change the course of the game - Sidey did.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It went wrong because of Sidey's dumb decision to lift the leg. That was the cause, that is why it deserved the suspension.

This is the key point to bleeding hearts like Kafer - bleeding for the suspended player.

Players who use a lifting motion in the tackle should not feel victimised when they get sanctioned for any resultant spearing. If players never got red carded for doing such things there would be more of it done.

Also players and spectators should not be surprised when a tackled player gets tipped over when one defender lifts a bit and another becomes involved. That other person can act as a tipping point; we see it time and time again.

Therefore lifting in the tackle should be outlawed. In the LAW 10. Foul Play there is a subsection for "Dangerous tackling". All it needs is another sentence added like "A player must not tackle a player with a lifting motion." But rugby is not tiddlywinks: in the interpretation of that I would allow the classic rugby league method of grabbing behind one knee and lifting provided that a spearing, or even a lifting of the body, did not eventuate.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Please somebody get some revenge for Pocock and do some surgery on J. DuPlesis the thug and removing his &^%$^ head.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Here's the DuPlessis footage.

[video=youtube;LmXOx84qdCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmXOx84qdCc[/video]

Note the no.4 trying to elbow him in the head as well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
That's pretty ordinary and the follow up comment would seem to make it clear it was intentional. But yet:

JdP is a doctor, right? If so, I'd be surprised if he would actually break a bloke's neck.

An important point. The fact that Jannie is a doctor should make it obvious that he would never intentionally hurt someone; just as a lawyer would never do anything unethical; an alderman would never take bribes; and a policeman would never tell lies in court. The fabric of our society would soon collapse if we couldn't rely on people upholding the high standards of their professions.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Bleh, I use the term "spear tackle" all the time, and it's a good term, but the fact is it doesn't exist as rugby. I like to classify a spear tackle as when the tackled player goes past the horizontal as per the league definition, and that generally happens in one of two cases: 1) a player is lifted in a tackle from below the waste, or 2) a player is lifted by putting one hand between their legs. As soon as a tackler is in either position, they are in trouble, and if a second man joins (like Fairbanks did) then the tackle has a very high chance of turning nasty.

In summary, a player doesn't have to land on their head at all for it to be a spear tackle in my book, they just have to be lifted and go beyond the horizontal. Actually, in union, strictly speaking they only need to be lifted and not let down carefully.

Sidey's tackle was dangerous and he was always going to get rubbed for it, regardless if it was in league or union. It is valid to argue about whether it was a red card or yellow card offence I think, but not valid to say it wasn't dangerous and not deserving of a suspension.

I agree with everything apart from the spear tackle definition. A spear tackle is a spear tackle. It's like saying you may as well call all fish fish and not the type of fish that it is. Probably a better example out there lol

Go the force!!!!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
There was Another view from the side and you can see jainni,s face. It looks like he was putting slot of effort into it

Go the force!!!!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I haven't seen the Pocock instance but I've read enough to believe it was ugly.

The only thing with the 'choke hold' is that I reckon I see it happen at least once or twice a game especially in rolling maul situations. Guys who are taken around the neck or head. The players don't seem to have had too much issue with it to date but I agree that it looks ugly and dangerous and maybe Pocock's injury might bring some action.

See the highlanders player got penalized for a choke in the maul when him and Becker got carded.

Go the force!!!!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
See the highlanders player got penalized for a choke in the maul when him and Becker got carded.

Go the force!!!!

I thought of this thread immediately actually.

If there hadn't been a bit of biff afterwards, I don't think it would have been called.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I thought of this thread immediately actually.

If there hadn't been a bit of biff afterwards, I don't think it would have been called.

[video=youtube;pWdd6_ZxX8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c[/video]

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's pretty ordinary and the follow up comment would seem to make it clear it was intentional. But yet:

An important point. The fact that Jannie is a doctor should make it obvious that he would never intentionally hurt someone; just as a lawyer would never do anything unethical; an alderman would never take bribes; and a policeman would never tell lies in court. The fabric of our society would soon collapse if we couldn't rely on people upholding the high standards of their professions.

Do you not think it would be out of the ordinary for a doctor to deliberately commit an act that could seriously maim another player? It will be interesting to see if this is a one off or a regular occurrence from JdP. If it were a regular thing, he should get rubbed out on the basis of not only dirty play, but also knowing enough about the health effects to know better.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do you not think it would be out of the ordinary for a doctor to deliberately commit an act that could seriously maim another player? It will be interesting to see if this is a one off or a regular occurrence from JdP. If it were a regular thing, he should get rubbed out on the basis of not only dirty play, but also knowing enough about the health effects to know better.

Don't mind me, Brown. I did know where you were coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.