• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Stormers, Perthfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Stu focuses on the breakdown, but does miss some offsides, I think he is pretty good and any side who stays on their feet will have no issues.

But dive in on close off at your peril

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Stu focuses on the breakdown, but does miss some offsides...

For the life of me I don't know why TJ/ARs don't play the major role in all offsides, as they do in soccer. It's so bloody easy to stand on the offside line and call it; these buggers are all miked and should call a few early in every match. If this was the case every rugby player would have the odd glance to the TJ/AR to ensure they're onside.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Paarl the Dickinson thing is an old gripe. For the last couple of years I have no issues with his reffing of SA or any other sides.

Right now Mark Lawrence and Stu are the two best refs in this comp with the rest all pretty much equally shit.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Blue said:
Right now Mark Lawrence and Stu are the two best refs in this comp with the rest all pretty much equally shit.

You're nearly right there, Blue, to these two I'd add Vinny Munro. He's definitely not "equally shit" as all the rest.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Force naturally have no chance. Another home game for the Force? When they actually start to travel their season is going to look abismal.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Hawko said:
Vinny Munro has looked superb this year. I think he's definitely on the up and up.

He's not bad for 61 isn't he? Gives us old refs a spring in our steps.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Look like the Ikey soutie, Whitehead will get another start in 12 against the Force. Deservely so, he had a good debut game against the Cheetahs. du Jongh will be bench and may play in his prefferred 13 position in the second half to give Mossie a rest.

Chief , your thoughts on Peypler?

C

chief

PaarlBok said:
Chief , your thoughts on Peypler?

Seen him three times. 2/3 he was pretty good. The third when reffing the Force v Tahs, was utterly ridiculous. However I cannot comment on the technicalities of his performance, but there were some calls that could have gone the Force way, and a lot of them came out of seemingly frustration I thought.

I say bring O'Connor to first receiver, hopefully it will shut down a few of the channels but also exploit the Stormers inside pairing, who I have never really rated. O'Connor could be the link that is definitely needed.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Grant , de Jongh the best defenders in the S14 in that channel Boet, so good luck with your Rabbit. ;)

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
This week the news is better. Bam Pocock and Dick Brown (bench) are back. Hodgson is at 8.

Sheehan is still injured so O'Young retains his place.

JO'C has been returned to fullback, Cross at 12 and Mitch Inman at 13 - there goes the attack then.

Barty is on the wing for Cummins.

Pek is in for Henderson in his rightful loosehead prop position with Tucky on the bench.

Couple more youngsters in the reserves (Justin Turner at half + hooker Nathan Charles - another temp signing).

Emirates Western Force v STORMERS

Friday, 2 April, 2010

ME Bank Stadium, Perth

Kick-off: 6.05pm AWST

Pek Cowan
Ben Whittaker
Tim Fairbrother
Tom Hockings
Nathan Sharpe (c)
Ben McCalman
David Pocock
Matt Hodgson
Chris O’Young
David Hill
Mark Bartholomeusz
Ryan Cross
Mitch Inman
Scott Staniforth
James O’Connor

Reserves

Nathan Charles
Matt Dunning
Richard Stanford
Richard Brown
Justin Turner
Sam Harris
Haig Sare

Unavailable: Cameron Shepherd (thigh), Andre Pretorius (hamstring), Brett Sheehan (hamstring), Ryan Tyrrell (neck), Sam Wykes (thigh), Dane Haylett-Petty (ankle), Joelin Rapana (hand), Jono Jenkins (ankle), Nick Cummins (suspended* pending appeal).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
so they've snagged Nathan Charles from the Brumbies Academy. Nice signing.

That's a better looking forward pack. Bench is a bit weak.

Interesting centre combo.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Two potential debutants come onto the bench, with scrumhalf Justin Turner and hooker Nathan Charles named for the first time. Charles, an Australian U20’s representative, has signed a four week deal with the club to cover for the injured Ryan Tyrrell who will take no further part in this year’s campaign. Turner has been a member of the Force Academy for two seasons and will get his chance to impress on Friday.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
en_force_er said:
Pek looks too small to play Prop this year. He looks tiny.

Still, great to see him back there.

How can you say that!? Your president of the effin PbtP Fanclub! :lmao:

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
If the ref for this match is an Aussie he should be bloody nervous, because every call (or lack thereof) will be presumed biased until proven innocent. Heaven help him if the Stormers lose!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
JJJ said:
If the ref for this match is an Aussie he should be bloody nervous, because every call (or lack thereof) will be presumed biased until proven innocent. Heaven help him if the Stormers lose!

What the fuck are you on about?

Anyway. I predict the Stormers to win this at a canter. They will play an expansive game that the Force will have no answers for and the Force can't score tries.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Blue said:
JJJ said:

What the fuck are you on about?

Anyway. I predict the Stormers to win this at a canter. They will play an expansive game that the Force will have no answers for and the Force can't score tries.

I'm saying that many Saffas (especially their rugby news websites) and some kiwis are on a bit of a warpath at the moment about Australian refs. Specifically, they believe that Aussie refs are both incompetent and favour the Aussie sides. Ever since Paul Marks' non-penalty try it's been a feature of most post-match articles. I'm referring specifically to rugby365.com and keo, but I'm sure if I had a look at some of the others it'd be there too. If the heavily-favoured Stormers lose to the Force under an Aussie ref that will be seen as irrefutable proof that our refs are crooked. I can't see it happening, but if it does just you watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.