• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs Stormers, Perthfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Noddy said:
pffft, Crusaders was the safe bet.
You'd think!! :lmao: The 'Canes are an enigma, wrapped in a mystery, inside a riddle, to paraphrase someone really famous.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Finally something to cheer about!... :yay :yay :yay..and they will win a few more before the season is over.. :thumb

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
liquor box said:
full marks to the replacement hooker too, his throws were good and he made a few metres too. Looks like a find if they can keep him off the Brumbys

Nathan Charles... Played U20's on the bench last season behind Fitzpatrick if I remember correctly... They had Whitaker as the third string....

Is a Gordon Junior, Knox Grammar but another Uni Poach...

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
JJJ said:
If the ref for this match is an Aussie he should be bloody nervous, because every call (or lack thereof) will be presumed biased until proven innocent. Heaven help him if the Stormers lose!

"A last minute drop goal by David Hill and a diabolical refereeing effort by Stu Dickinson contributed to the Stormers’ shocking 16-15 defeat in Perth."
http://www.keo.co.za/2010/04/02/force-vs-stormers-1205-ko/comment-page-6/#comments

"The Stormers will regret what was probably their worst performance of the season, but they will also have reason to question a number of the calls from the match officials - not that they deserved the win.

However, referee Stuart Dickinson was simply far to familiar with the Western Force and far to dismissive of the Stormers - his attitude towards the players again saying a lot about his qualities as a match official."
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/2336862.htm

Waiting on the Supersport match report, but I'm sure they will toe the party line. :lmao:

C

chief

I thought Dickinson did a fine job, could fault him on a few things. Of course the Saffas were to complain they didn't get there end of the stick but that's inevitable.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
JJJ, it was to be expected. :lmao:
I thought Stu did a very good job. Just because Stormers players pull funny "What's up with that?" faces doesn't mean they were hard done by. I thought he made it very clear to the players what the issues were.
Of course some breakdown calls will always be contentious, but he gave both teams ample warning about repeat infringements. Both teams were guilty of failing to release the tackled player at times, and this was rightly pinged.
The Stormers have nothing to complain about there - they played well below their best, and still could have won with the chances they had. The Force missed several penalties too.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
JJJ said:
"The Stormers will regret what was probably their worst performance of the season, but they will also have reason to question a number of the calls from the match officials - not that they deserved the win.

However, referee Stuart Dickinson was simply far to familiar with the Western Force and far to dismissive of the Stormers - his attitude towards the players again saying a lot about his qualities as a match official."
http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/super14/news/2336862.htm

I see that the rugby365 writer cut out the above sentences when he rewrote his article to the full-length version. He must've had the chance to take a few deep breaths and cool off. :lmao:

C

chief

All the comments below are all against Dickinson, trash talking him, he was consistent, he was fair, and he was accurate most of the time. That is what you want in a referee, saying Aussies trash talk refs, yes I'm guilty of my fair share. But I think surely this time of appraisal will put Dickinson out of the game.

Poor game, but last 10 minutes were very entertaining and intense. Looking forward to seeing what else the Force can conjure up during this season.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watched Dickinson ref Highlanders v Lions and while some people might think he's a prick, he's pretty bloody accurate and is probably one of the better refs going around at this point in time.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
JJJ said:
"A last minute drop goal by David Hill and a diabolical refereeing effort by Stu Dickinson contributed to the Stormers’ shocking 16-15 defeat in Perth."

Why would anyone expect anything else from a Saffa? They have form in abundance in regard to blaming everyone else for their inability to hold onto the ball and make their tackles.

Morning, PB :)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
cyclopath said:
Sorry, what I meant to say is the Stormers are clearly still on the plane - they are awful (for them).

Nope, nope, n-o-p-e. The REAL Stormers stood up, or lay down, tonight.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The Bulls and the Stormers have a misery-laden few weeks ahead of them. The Force - bless their magnificent hearts - showed to all and sundry how you beat such belligerents. Is anyone in any doubt that the coaches of all Australian and UnZid teams saw and learned from the pricking of the balloons?

Ho hum. same old, same old.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Dickinson. By far the best refereeing performance of the S14 so far.

I have only one question - how did Burger stay on the field after three penalties for foul play? That is pure red card stuff.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo look like you changed in Farcer Boet? Thought DickHeadSon did OK, the linesman need glasses. The Stormers only have themself to blame for the loss, our scrum and lineouts went OK, Pocock the best player today, worst Pie Eater and Sereli by a mile. There were more then enough changes and hopefull we,ll learn from this one and need a 2000 percent improvement to beat the Bluesers next week. Congrats to the Force supporters, your team was deserved winners after a difficult season so far.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Andries Bekker deserves all he got last night, the arrogance he portrayed at the start of the game when he was running on was unbearable.. Unfortunetly your not like Bakkies Botha champ :thumb

C

CanadianRugby

Can someone explain to me how Sereli still gets a Super 14 contract? I've seen more than a few of his games and he NEVER seems to care. The only time he actually runs it when he has acres of space in front of him, other than that its a gentle wander into the tackler. He might be the laziest player I've ever seen. Surely there must only be 500 other wingers in SA who are more determined, intelligent and willing than this guy. It actually really annoys me that he is put in games.

For as badly as this was played, I really enjoyed this game. The poor play made it more tense, since you never had any idea what was going to happen. Couple more games at the Force loosies are really going to cause people problems. Love the reaction by the Force players after the game, that's a team that really wanted it.

No more Hodgson at 8. He wasn't bad, but he's much better as a flanker.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I saw signs last night that Mitch Inman is beginning to emulate his big brother's unique tackling style.

I don't know how many people here would remember, but Luke Inman had the the most extraordinary ability to rein in someone who appeared to have got past him with an around-the-ankles tackle. At times it appeared as if he deliberately offered the ball carrier more than enough space before scything him to the ground by seemingly extending his already long body.

For the Waratahs Luke and Matt Burke formed a very effective last line of defence, frequently saving seemingly inevitable tries.

I hadn't noticed it before but Mitch seems to have picked up the same technique. It may be a result of observation because as a little kid he always tagged along to Luke's games. Apparently on match days Luke, notoriously absent minded, would often ask his little brother whether he was playing at home or away.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bruce, I remember Luke Inman playing for Uni and the Waratahs. He was a terrific player. Very deceptive running style where he didn't really look like he was going that hard, but covered the ground quickly nonetheless; a bit like Larkham. He ticked most of the number 13 boxes very well - made breaks, offloaded well and defended well.
Shame Mitch spilled that nice little cross-field grubber that JOC (James O'Connor) laid on for him towards the end - he probably wouldn't have made the line, but it would have been interesting.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Well done Force!!

It was a pretty scrappy affair IMO, but I was as happy as anyone when that dropgoal went over at the end. Dogged defence, a Stormers outfit who looked a little off the boil but what a great result for the team and their supporters! Did they say over 25,000 at the game? Good to see the Fans are behind their team, despite such a crap year so far.

C

chief

spectator said:
Well done Force!!

It was a pretty scrappy affair IMO, but I was as happy as anyone when that dropgoal went over at the end. Dogged defence, a Stormers outfit who looked a little off the boil but what a great result for the team and their supporters! Did they say over 25,000 at the game? Good to see the Fans are behind their team, despite such a crap year so far.

Impossible to get over 25k their stadium is 20 capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.