• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Team selection is fine for me, but like others have eluded to, why Skelton gets the nod as the big cheese I don't quite understand. Generally speaking it's a reward to the guy who actually shows leadership qualities which we haven't seen from Will at all.

You could say there are some similarities in Horwill and Skelton being made a captain as an attempt to curb their silly mistakes (it largely worked for James). But, the major difference was/is James is a natural leader who had some silly niggle to his game while Skelton just has niggle to his game without any leadership traits.

I'd love to see him prove me and us wrong, but we've been asking for him to do that consistently for some time now and it's getting a bit tiresome.

I would say there are more similarities with Dylan Hartley being made captain of England and Skelton captain tomorrow. EJ (Eddie Jones) thought it would help temper Hartley's brain snaps, and it seems to be working. Perhaps Cheik feels the same in giving Will some responsibility will stop a lot of the stupid stuff.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One thing I found interesting was that a couple of days ago (prior to the team announcement), Ben Mowen was quoted on rugby.com.au saying the following:

“I think when I left Australian rugby Will Skelton was obviously very new on the scene and I think the way that he's matured as a real natural leader and you can see his presence in the team is really important,” he said.

Perhaps he has been killing it at training / showing some strong leadership but that hasn't been translating onto on-field performances. Alternatively, perhaps the coaching group think it could ground his play / stupidity a bit.

Perhaps Cheika mandated it. Perhaps the coaching group thrown together was told they could pick a captain of their choosing and Justin Harrison fell in love with him.

No one really knows and at the end of the day I really don't think anyone would've considered it much. This games means very very little.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I would say there are more similarities with Dylan Hartley being made captain of England and Skelton captain tomorrow. EJ (Eddie Jones) thought it would help temper Hartley's brain snaps, and it seems to be working. Perhaps Cheik feels the same in giving Will some responsibility will stop a lot of the stupid stuff.
Nah. Hartley was captain at club level for donkeys, and if anything, it just exacerbated his white line fever.

80% Eddie Jones, 20% knowing he's never gonna get another chance if it happens again.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
One thing I found interesting was that a couple of days ago (prior to the team announcement), Ben Mowen was quoted on rugby.com.au saying the following:

“I think when I left Australian rugby Will Skelton was obviously very new on the scene and I think the way that he's matured as a real natural leader and you can see his presence in the team is really important,” he said.

Perhaps he has been killing it at training / showing some strong leadership but that hasn't been translating onto on-field performances. Alternatively, perhaps the coaching group think it could ground his play / stupidity a bit.

Perhaps Cheika mandated it. Perhaps the coaching group thrown together was told they could pick a captain of their choosing and Justin Harrison fell in love with him.

No one really knows and at the end of the day I really don't think anyone would've considered it much. This games means very very little.

Wow - how incisive is Mowen on Skelton..

Bloke just went down a little further IMHO

Really don''t have a problem with the big bloke being captain but I nearly threw up reading that "real natural leader" shit

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Nah. Hartley was captain at club level for donkeys, and if anything, it just exacerbated his white line fever.

80% Eddie Jones, 20% knowing he's never gonna get another chance if it happens again.

Eddie Jones' decision to make Hartley captain wasn't so much a "tone down your aggression Dylan" but more of a "smarten up your aggression Dylan".

Even more than that, I think it was Jones saying to the team "England needs to be a smart and aggressive side again. Everybody, be like Dylan".

The Lancaster-era took the edge off the team, Jones wants the England team of old. A big, brutish pack of ogres (Kruis, Lawes, Launchbury, Itoje, Haskell, Vunipola x2 etc) lead around by a deft and smart Prince Charming (Ford, Farrell).

It plays to their strengths and makes perfect sense really. No point trying to be New Zealand when England does just fine being England.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
No doubt you have researched that correctly and I do agree with you, especially since Ben Mowen is 195 cm tall and the average Australian male is 175.5 cm

However I do disagree with the trust of your post.

Thank you Scrubber, you have just confirmed that I must be "above average"!!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Has anyone yet managed to locate the part of the ARU site where you go for the live stream?

EDIT: there's a million people on the ARU site asking the same question, stay tuned..

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
It does now say "Live from 6.45 AM........maybe the mice running the power wheel at Rugby HQ haven't had time to warm up yet !

Status
Not open for further replies.