• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Some here are hard to please. I saw two teams thrown together, in a match that was played on the 'other side of the world', yet able to be viewed in my lounge room, and it was competitive Rugby. I'm glad I was able to watch it. Tight five had to work hard all match, against some big units in the two-blues.
We made plenty of mistakes, but, as in any sport, "you only play as well as your opposition allows you to play"!

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
After the first try, I thought this was going to be a cracker.

But wow! That was horrible. I can understand the lack of cohesion in the backs, but the skills were terrible. No catch and pass, no draw and pass. Gerrard started with a couple of good touch finders from penalties, then messed one up, had a 22 charged down, and put a bomb straight up. He also dropped a couple of catches. Use to be such an intelligent player. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to lack of fitness and fatigue. And the forwards also looked completely unfit. Many of them looking to hide and rest. The old silly one-offs from the ruck that lose ground! And how many times did Ready spill the ball going into a tackle? I wouldn't be surprised if they decided not to go for the try with 5 to go, not because they respected the French, but because they were too tired.

I really hope none of these players get a shot at the Wallabies until they prove themselves elsewhere.

They need a full-on skills training camp over the summer - and under fatigue conditions.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Oh yeah, and the French were pretty weak as well, which makes it even worse.

But glad I could watch the game. Thanks ARU for putting it on.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fuck me Agnes.

How do you some of you sour bastards get through the day without shooting yourself or just swallowing a bottle of drain cleaner? I can understand the lack of a gun, but if you need drain cleaner - get the fuck to Bunnings.

The conditions weren't helpful, but there was some marvellous rugby on show, even if it wasn't always finished well. Teams didn't take their chances. But it was the second tier of first tier rugby, with a week under their belt, and played in front of a raucous crowd.

Best experience some of those blokes have had in their careers. I include some of the veterans in that.

Our cohesion seemed to disappear when Lance went off - which probably turned the probability of a win against away from us. Gerrard putting up some questionable kicks didn't help, though his running game is still good.

The French backs from 13 out were superb, but I thought their forwards were there for the taking in close. The ref was letting them get away with murder at ruck time, but if we'd played a little straighter, and brought Taqele into the action on the burst instead of static, we could have ripped that game open.

Frisby looked a little hesitant once Lance was gone - like Godwin wasn't running things too well. Its to be expected with that level of experience.

Everyone involved will be better for it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Despite the poor standard of play generally, there were a lot of positives to be taken out of the game.

I am now positive that Frisby is not up to this standard of play. Stirzaker a step above in skills and execution.

Positive also that Will Skelton is not a leader or captain in the making. Some very confusing decisions.

It was quite evident that we had the two weakest wingers on the ground. Naiyarovoro has a lot of deficiencies in his game, while Koriobete did little to suggest he will start at Super Rugby level next year.

I am positive that Godwin is not a No 10. Brumbies' coaching staff please take note.

Morahan did nothing to enhance his claims to the full back spot at test level.

I am more positive than ever that a kick first game plan is a sure way to lose a game.

Dempsey was best on ground, and shows a hell of a lot of promise. Otherwise, the ring-ins, Mowen and Kimlin, were better than any of the other forwards, but they'll be unlikely to ever be in contention for the Wallabies again, so why have them in the side. Both did show that they would still have plenty to offer at Super Rugby level however.

Gerrardo also should not have been there and certainly should not have played for most of the game. Again he will never be in Wallabies' contention, so why have him there.

The ground was unfit for a rugby match - reminded me of AAMI Park a couple of years ago.

Great crowd, over 30,000. Glad the Baa Baas gave them reason to cheer.

This was a match that really should never have been played, from a Wallabies' perspective.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Kellaway on for the injured Lance was a mistake.

Godwin and Gerrard both had to take a lot of playmaking responsibility and lost their early flair because of that.

If you'd brought Stirzaker on and moved Frisby out to 10 (where he's played as few times for Brisbane City and the Reds), you'd probably have kept the structure a little more.

As I said beforehand though, tour game, who cares.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The coaching team that they threw together didn't really make the best calls but meh, they had a crack and that's what it was all about. The only thing I would be critical of that match was that they should've given all the bench decent time on the pitch. No point at all not emptying it. But whatever, still a great experience for those guys just being there.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Some of those touch finders were magic.

Brought undone somewhat by those attempted garryowens o_O

The touchfinders, phwoarh. Almost arousing. Fuck it. I'll be honest, I was aroused. Wasn't going to mention those garryowens but.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Did not watch the game, just watched highlight video. How good was the crowd? Would not get a turn out like that in Australia for that game.

Did anyone impress? Looked fairly average from the highlights.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The coaching team that they threw together didn't really make the best calls but meh, they had a crack and that's what it was all about. The only thing I would be critical of that match was that they should've given all the bench decent time on the pitch. No point at all not emptying it. But whatever, still a great experience for those guys just being there.

Did Lolohea get on? I had to get the kids to school so missed the last couple of minutes. Thought Robertson did a good job once he figured out what the opposing THP was doing, but Lolohea deserved an opportunity.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Some of those touch finders were magic.

Brought undone somewhat by those attempted garryowens o_O
I put the micky on him.. I came on here saying his kickings been fantastic.. He then missed a touch finder and kicked one straight up in the air.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Did anyone impress? Looked fairly average from the highlights.

Dempsey fucking killed it
Charles had a good game I thought, despite the yellow card and a wayward throw. Wholehearted.
Stirzaker was good when he came on.
Mowen should have stayed on in place of Kimlin IMHO.
Kellaway did have some great defensive moments, but our attack went a bit pear-shaped after Lance was injured.

Other than that, it was a case of "meh"

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did Lolohea get on? I had to get the kids to school so missed the last couple of minutes. Thought Robertson did a good job once he figured out what the opposing THP was doing, but Lolohea deserved an opportunity.
Copped a cheeky 5 minutes. Did nothing noticeable (and as a prop, it's hard to expect him to).

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I put the micky on him.. I came on here saying his kickings been fantastic.. He then missed a touch finder and kicked one straight up in the air.

SPeaking of touch finders: at one point around three-quarter time, the French cleared from a penalty, and Kellaway was a couple of metres outside touch, inside the French half of the field, where it landed.

The French AR went straight to the touchline parallel to where he caught it.

Uh, physics, mon ami?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Kellaway did have some great defensive moments, but our attack went a bit pear-shaped after Lance was injured.

If I was a betting man, I'd say with such a short turn-around time a large amount of time was invested in that starting 15 and relatively little on plan B.

This is understandable and would explain our lack of shape post-Lance.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I didn't see Lolohea get on. Sef got less than 5 minutes I thought. Closer to 2 mins but could be wrong.

Someone was asking about Perese before. He didn't end up making the 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.