• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Barbarians v Australia, Thursday 24 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Blair Connor is playing for the French Baas - he's been playing OK too in the last couple of years.

There's some useful players in there including old Rougerie who should still be good for 30 minutes.

Some of them have had good years for Les Bleues and if they play to their best the Aussies will have a problem.

French Barbarians (v Australia XV): Arthur Bonneval (Toulouse), Julien Carminati (Castres Olympique), Louis Dupichot (Pau), Blair Connor (Bordeuax-Begles), Aurelien Rougerie (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Pierre Aguillon (La Rochelle), Romain Lonca (Bordeaux-Begles), Julien Dumora (Castres Olympique), Yann Lesgourgues (Bordeaux-Begles), Antoine Dupont (Castres Olympique), Camille Gerondeau (ASM Clermont Auvergne), Raphael Lakafia (Stade Francais Paris), Romain Sazy (La Rochelle), Jean Monribot (Bayonne), Rodrigo Capo-Ortega (Castres Olympique), Fleix Lambey (Lyon), Loïc Jacquet (Castres Olympique), Jean-Baptiste Poux (Bordeaux-Begles), Lucas Pointud (Brive), Jean-Charles Orioli (RC Toulon), Remi Bonfils (Stade Francais Paris), Alexandre Menini (Lyon), Julien Brugnault (Racing 92)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wonder if the reason for not making this a non rep team that anyone can play for is that Taniela Tupou isn't allowed to play for anyone outside of Australia whilst he tries to qualify under the residency rules.

If he played this game they'd have to pay him and then he's played pro rugby outside of Australia during his qualification period.

Remember when Speight played the ITM Cup season and then had to restart his residency period?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wonder if the reason for not making this a non rep team that anyone can play for is that Taniela Tupou isn't allowed to play for anyone outside of Australia whilst he tries to qualify under the residency rules.

If he played this game they'd have to pay him and then he's played pro rugby outside of Australia during his qualification period.

Remember when Speight played the ITM Cup season and then had to restart his residency period?

I remember BH with an awful taste still in my mouth. But I don't think it was primarily because he had played ITM that saw his qualification period restarted, but moreso that he wasn't resident in Australia for a certain period (I think 3 months). Maybe the two go a bit hand-in-hand though.

EDIT : hopefully Taniela's continuous period of residency isn't jeopardised by his tour to Europe.:(

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Could be BH but if it was a Barbarians type side they could just choose not to play him to avoid that issue.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Just spoke with ARU
Game on rugby.com.au
Funny thing is the commentary is in French but they are trying to find something in English

Surely they ARU could shout a couple of ex players a couple lates + some escargots pastry's and call it a day?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is the difference that as a Wallaby XV they will be playing in Wallabies jumpers?

Yeah I don't know, I wondered if they will be playing in the full A kit. I reckon they just wanted a team full of genuine eligible Aussies. I don't know why that would be though, maybe when they scheduled it they thought they would be able fill it completely with emerging/fringe players without the need for a few Golden Oldies. Because I note it has been changed from 'Australia A' to the 'Wallaby XV'.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm available to call the game. I'll even do it for free as long as they cover my expenses. Clearly flying guys over there last minute isn't an issue for the ARU so lock me in and I'll catch you all on the stream from Bordeaux. :D

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I'm available to call the game. I'll even do it for free as long as they cover my expenses. Clearly flying guys over there last minute isn't an issue for the ARU so lock me in and I'll catch you all on the stream from Bordeaux. :D

Scoey
I've seem your travel plans before - no doubt you would go via Rome, London, Oslo on the way home. First class tickets for you and the bride.
What, you'd be back in time for Xmas.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I reckon Cheika's a full on budget breaker. It would have been like 'I don't give a flying fuck if we've already blown the budget, no way in this world am I risking any of my props in this game 2 days before we take on Ireland. Get me two more on the plane..now!".

And the penny counters at the ARU are now pulling their hair out..

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I reckon Cheika's a full on budget breaker. It would have been like 'I don't give a flying fuck if we've already blown the budget, no way in this world am I risking any of my props in this game 2 days before we take on Ireland. Get me two more on the plane..now!".

And the penny counters at the ARU are now pulling their hair out..

Yep. Risk v reward - Grand Slam up for grabs, and at this point that means an undefeated (Test) tour.

Throw in the fact I'm President of my rugby club and rugby here would be on the up-and-up!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is cheaper than having them over for a week or two

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It is cheaper than having them over for a week or two

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Plus I doubt their match payments are very impressive - and the staff are probably voluntary.

The case of Lolohea is a curious one. An unsigned played (he's a non-contracted Waratah meaning he's probably being paid a trivial amount) being selected ahead of professional players. No doubt he deserves it on talent, it's just odd.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'll carry your bags.:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Plus I doubt their match payments are very impressive - and the staff are probably voluntary.

The case of Lolohea is a curious one. An unsigned played (he's a non-contracted Waratah meaning he's probably being paid a trivial amount) being selected ahead of professional players. No doubt he deserves it on talent, it's just odd.

Could also be a case of Cheika and/or the Wallaby coaching staff saying that they think this guy is good and he deserves attention from the Super Rugby sides.

Seems like he could get a better offer than the Tahs wider training squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.