• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
How do you get a South African to play for you if your not paying your players?

The fact that he's already in the Gen Blue team without having played a game may have something to do with it. Maybe he expects to get a Waratah contract and is not looking for club payments.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Hope he is getting his RSA cert.
Can't see him starting in the Tahs this year.
Horne & Carraro both played Tahs A last week,even if there are significant injuries, he has to leapfrog two other centres who have played in the Tahs A setup this year.
A good pickup at SS level though.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
If you could guarantee them Permanent Residency you'd find plenty who would pay you to let them play.
South Africans cannot get working holiday visas so he is here as a tourist or on a sporting visa which means he has to be on a guaranteed 50k payment or a education visa which he could be through UNSW but he cannot work so either the club or his family? Is paying his living expenses
That is my understanding of the visa situation into Australia
Then again this could have been done when Rudd was the PM and anyone was allowed in.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
I've never been there but I understand we have a separate section of the forum for political discussion.
Please see my response in the political forum to my poor attempt at sarcasm which displeased Bruce Ross
I have included a comment that incorporates a couple of words relating to the Aust cricket team performance which I have put into the cricket forum

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Please see my response in the political forum to my poor attempt at sarcasm which displeased Bruce Ross
I have included a comment that incorporates a couple of words relating to the Aust cricket team performance which I have put into the cricket forum
My basic position, Taf, is that we are a very broad church in G&GR, presumably with a range of political views across the entire spectrum. At a time when there is almost unprecedented polarisation about politics in Australia, I think it best not to create unnecessary division among ourselves. During my time as a member here I have been impressed by how collectively we have developed and maintained a culture of mutual respect.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Think we in for a long season if the weekend was any indication, the 1st team looked pretty ordinary but probably more alarming was the 3rds fixture in which showed a bit of lack of depth.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There is a fair bit of talk on the NRC/Third Tier thread that Randwick/UNSW will form the nucleus of a team to contest the NRC.

Given last seasons results from the Wicks and @Pete King's comments above, how would a Wicks centric team be competetive against the likes of Uni/Balmain (who can run out >15 Soup players) or Manly/Gordon/Norths/Rats combined Rams?

Where is the talent coming from?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
there is definately some young talent there and a few on Gen Blue duties. The colts should be strong but I would think we are a good couple of years of competing at that level

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
There is a fair bit of talk on the NRC/Third Tier thread that Randwick/UNSW will form the nucleus of a team to contest the NRC.

Given last seasons results from the Wicks and @Pete King's comments above, how would a Wicks centric team be competetive against the likes of Uni/Balmain (who can run out >15 Soup players) or Manly/Gordon/Norths/Rats combined Rams?

Where is the talent coming from?

Gen Blue. Super 15 Franchises. More new players coming to the Club. JV partners.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agree the Trials on saturday were ordinary.

Good Option taking was in sad supply.

As for the NRC - Different ball game , i think.
Take five from 1sts and balance from s15, gen blu, plus why not other clubs in the shute as their seasons are over??

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Agree the Trials on saturday were ordinary.

Good Option taking was in sad supply.

As for the NRC - Different ball game , i think.
Take five from 1sts and balance from s15, gen blu, plus why not other clubs in the shute as their seasons are over??
Aren't other clubs from the Shute Shield going to be represented in other NRC teams?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Gen Blue. Super 15 Franchises. More new players coming to the Club. JV partners.

Macca - man, seriously you appear to be more of a Wicks tragic than I of Manly.
Seriously they havent performed on the pitch now for a number of years, Gen Blue - who?
JV Partner what players from subbies?
New players that politically fall their way.?

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Aren't other clubs from the Shute Shield going to be represented in other NRC teams?

Quite correct
We would hope that as many club players as possible will get a run in the nrc.
The Wuniwicks might be looking for a particular player ( say for example a fullback) and an eastwood player fits the bill and has no contract elsewhere- a good coach will call him up, i think.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@DaveB, @Macca,

You are equally tragic and there are plenty more like you in the Marlins and Wicks stable. Must be the beachside location. You are as bad as each other.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Quite correct
We would hope that as many club players as possible will get a run in the nrc.
The Wuniwicks might be looking for a particular player ( say for example a fullback) and an eastwood player fits the bill and has no contract elsewhere- a good coach will call him up, i think.

And a player with aspirations would obviously say Yes, especially if "unwanted" by their "traditionally" aligned club/franchise/area.

Rugby is a legitimate profession and players first loyalty must be to themselves and their career development (their own Brand :)). Just don't argue with flight attendants.

Status
Not open for further replies.