• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Now or ever? Bryan Palmer was born in 1899, and coached Eastwood in 1966 and IIRC 1967 as well. Could be a dead-heat, although closer examination of dates of birth would settle the matter.

I meant oldest coach now as the current crop all seem to be fairly young.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I think the board and majority of supporters would be keen to see Kelly stay on as coach and build on the young guns he has brought and blooded. I think It would be more of a case of him choosing to move on. I believe he has done really well but it hasnt been easy and scots would be a higher paying role id imagine.

Whilst Rif is a highly credentialed coach (I havent heard whether he has been linked or not) Id prefer someone who has been involved over the last few years to step in to the head coach role. Jayson Brewer lasts years second grade coach and b4 first colts coach would seem like a good choice for the club atm.

Ive heard mixed reports about Nick Ryans involvement and dont know enough to comment. Eithier way he wouldnt be involved as a head coach.

Just read all the replies...very interesting. Think the above is the most likely scenario, ie that Wade will leave of his own accord.

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree with MACCA.. Gafney should be used as a support coach. providing support to new coach (assuming kelly walks before he is pushed). Noticed more players have left in the last few weeks (windon/bailey). havent they only won 6 from 14 games? from memory the 2nd grade coach from last is still coaching at the club??.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Agree with MACCA.. Gafney should be used as a support coach. providing support to new coach (assuming kelly walks before he is pushed). Noticed more players have left in the last few weeks (windon/bailey). havent they only won 6 from 14 games? from memory the 2nd grade coach from last is still coaching at the club??.
breakdown coach this year Jayson Brewer . Not unusual for players to walk these days, sign of the times. Sitting top 6, pretty sure wouldnt be pushed from what I hear.

BIgz20

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks Pete. Will be interested to see how things pan out. Club needs to make a decision soon. They will be in for a tough day On Saturday against manly.
2nds went well last year nearly beating uni in the semi from memory. Good to see the club providing a pathway for coaches. Bring back sayley..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Scots College 1st XV train as much as is reported that other schools do (up to 9 sessions per week) it is surprising that Kelly has any time at all for the Wicks.

What has happened to Stallion Sporting Group? The website seems appears to have disappeared into the ether.

Seems that one of Scots, Stallion, or the Wicks was a bridge too far, and Kelly is trying to get some of his life back.

So now the speculation starts. @Brian Westlake has taken Allan Gaffney out of the race.

Todd Louden took the wicks to a premiership in 2006. Since leaving The Corporation, he has had a couple of years up in Nelson Bay with the Wanderers.

There has been sufficient time and distance between his stint with Uni, and Nick Ryan is part of the old Uni machine.

Will he want to get the Band back together again?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
If Scots College 1st XV train as much as is reported that other schools do (up to 9 sessions per week) it is surprising that Kelly has any time at all for the Wicks.

What has happened to Stallion Sporting Group? The website seems appears to have disappeared into the ether.

Seems that one of Scots, Stallion, or the Wicks was a bridge too far, and Kelly is trying to get some of his life back.

So now the speculation starts. @Brian Westlake has taken Allan Gaffney out of the race.

Todd Louden took the wicks to a premiership in 2006. Since leaving The Corporation, he has had a couple of years up in Nelson Bay with the Wanderers.

There has been sufficient time and distance between his stint with Uni, and Nick Ryan is part of the old Uni machine.

Very Astute HJ. Would prepare the Wicks well for a stand alone tilt at the NRC next year;)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Stallion specializing in sports gear and academy hasnt run since he took on the Wicks gig.

The time demands of the scots role would explain the coaching set ups at the wicks i.e, Breakdown coach, defence coach, lineout, scrum. Also the addition of Nick Ryan this year has taken alot of the administration from the year before.

The Incumbent coach should look to work with Wade closely in the change over to retain the players and maintain the pathways from the powerful GPS schools.

The negatives of Kelly's rein I believe was/is an overly structured game plan if this can be made a bit more flexible and allow the players to play whats in front of them a bit more the club should kick on in the next couple of years.

Paramount in selection is they pick a strong non comprimising Coach in the mould of a Louden or kelly. With so many staff they need someone who is clearly the head coach and not going to be undermined by others

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Humble in Victory Dave....;) No suprises out there today. I was at coogee seeing Randwick Colts trounce Manly. Our time will come ... again

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Humble in Victory Dave..;) No suprises out there today. I was at coogee seeing Randwick Colts trounce Manly. Our time will come . again

Pete, having fun with Macca about the NRC not about Shute. Randwick ran into a Manly side that is starting their season.
I cant believe Kelly is moving after one season, with this being the second.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
BOOM BOOM BOOM from Manly, wanted to pay this morning but had to wait. BOOM BOOM

Were you the bloke that tried to argue against Randwick's underdog status today? Thats as sensible as leaving the porch light on in case Harold Holt turns up.:)
Nice work today by the Ref. Not. Manly had a player binned for collapsing a maul on the try line when we were on the attack - same thing in the second half except Wicks were the offenders - this time the Ref awards a penalty try for Manly as well as a yellow card. That about sums that Ref up. He should be refereeing 2nds next week. No consistency and only one eye open.
Manly went well and I will be pleased to see them win the Comp.
Losing both our centres within the first 2 minutes wasn't helpful.
We finished with our Colts Hooker playing inside centre as well as having 2 players in the bin at once.
In the (dire) circumstances, thought we battled away well and were competitive for a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.