• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
In the video it is actually stated that they want to remove players from the defensive line and this could be one way they envisage doing that. I guess we'll have to wait and see in that regard. The removal of the mark in the 22 could be problematic. What I really don't want to see is aimless kicking. I'm not opposed to the use of the kick as a tactical weapon which might work out in regards to the 40/22 rule but removing the mark screams kick and hope which I hate.

They should just play on wider fields.

they should consider one less player - 14 a side. team choice - 7 or 8 forwards, 6 or 7 backs, the latter in particular would open up the field, named before the kick off, so one team might have a numerical advantage in the forwards/backs or both might be evenly matched.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why does every new idiot think that the rules are the issue and making the game more like unlimited tackle RL is of benefit?
Nothing wrong with a little experimentation.

Seems to me WR (World Rugby) have recognized an opportunity to fiddle with the rules in a low risk way.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
they should consider one less player - 14 a side. team choice - 7 or 8 forwards, 6 or 7 backs, the latter in particular would open up the field, named before the kick off, so one team might have a numerical advantage in the forwards/backs or both might be evenly matched.

No as that could actually be dangerous in regards to the scrum.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why does every new idiot think that the rules are the issue and making the game more like unlimited tackle RL is of benefit?

Sport evolves. Rugby certainly has been through its lifespan. Most often glacially but still it has evolved.

GRR might offer an opportunity for some trial and error on concepts that are designed to make the game more viewer friendly particularly to new and emerging markets. The key will be to maintain the essence of the game. Things like the continued contest for possession around all structures within it.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'd go as far as to suggest they are for all essentially purposes officially confirmed. Dan Carter, Sean McMahon and Duane Van Meulen all received specific mention as well.

I hope RA were smart enough to put a footnote in any sign off saying marquee players that are of national interest Eg McMahon - must go to the force so they are wallabies eligible

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I hope RA were smart enough to put a footnote in any sign off saying marquee players that are of national interest Eg McMahon - must go to the force so they are wallabies eligible
Run out of Hong Kong now, so RA have very little say in how things are run. They pretty much just get to sanction games played in Australia and that's it.

They'd have no say at all as to where Aus qualified players could play

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was under the impression marquee players were centrally funded and then sent to whatever team needs them?

Am I wrong?
Perhaps, but i doubt it. Think Dan Carter is signing a contract without knowing where he will end up? I think not.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Run out of Hong Kong now, so RA have very little say in how things are run. They pretty much just get to sanction games played in Australia and that's it.

They'd have no say at all as to where Aus qualified players could play

With a RWC coming up surely a player like McMahon would at the very least be hinted and wanting to be Wobs eligible. So unless RA opens up eligibility to players in GRR he'd likely be looking to end up at the Force.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wonder if the Hong Kong team being called "South China" has something to with Jack Ma's South China Morning Post newspaper?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

These aren't Andrew Forrest's rule changes.
Andrew would be the first to admit that he's not qualified to contribute to the discussion.

The rule changes have come from people such as Matt Hodgson, Michael Lynagh et al.

Rest assured - if a rule doesn't achieve the desired outcome then it will be changed/dropped.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
These aren't Andrew Forrest's rule changes.
Andrew would be the firsdt to admit that he's not qualified to contribute to the discussion.

The rule changes have come from people such as Matt Hodgson, Michael Lynagh et al.

rest assured - if the rule doesn't achieve the desired outcome then it will be changed/dropped.

Let's hope so FF (Folau Fainga'a). I'm not comfortable with some of it.

Rugby is rugby.

I'm not interested in supporting some kind of odd new age rugby league.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Let's hope so FF (Folau Fainga'a). I'm not comfortable with some of it.

Rugby is rugby.

I'm not interested in supporting some kind of odd new age rugby league.

It does have more than a passing resemblence to a bastardised hybrid of league and union. Buuuut who knows give it a crack and if it fails it fails

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have said before that at the end of the day, the best possible thing that could happen for us is for a "bastardised hybrid" to emerge.

Imagine a game that embraced the best players and the best rules, of the NRL and traditional rugby. That would be a domestic competition that could lead to something big.