• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

Banned
A tremendous result from the Mick Lane / Will Raven coached SJC VIII. Makes for a very interesting lead in to the HOR.

fottyboars48

Stan Wickham (3)
OH MYYYYYY. How excellent was that race by the TKS 2nd VIII, i managed to get my wife to drive me down and watch the school boy events, view looking strong in the 4's, gotta give it to the coaches there.

I still cant belive that race, a 2nd crew vsing 2 top tier 8's. a length down at the 1k and the dogs wound it home to snag the win. there is something brewing and something magical must of happened to the crew during the sumer, not too sure what it could have been.

This crew has posted the fasted 2nd 8 time this season, beating vies 6;08. Just doing my research and the record for the 2nd 8 is 5;57. that was done by TKS in 2001, that same crew did a 6;10 at state, champs, so far the Kings 2nd 8 are on track to smashing the GPS record. i cannot wait for HOTR, my money is currently on the TKS crew.

it will also be good to see ther whips cracking at states for the Kings 1st 8 crew who must have a surge of adrenaline after having to scratch this weekend.

have a great week,
Fottyboars48

Glory to the wyvern

Frank Nicholson (4)
I’m sure you’ve heard of the recent uproar at our home, but if you haven’t there is a bit of drama with Newington deciding to go co-ed. Despite this, our 2nd 8 have come out of no where to claim a mighty 3rd place, when we thought all hope was lost. This performance reminded me of the South Sudanian Eagle, preying on the Lithuanian worms.

Glory to the wyvern

Frank Nicholson (4)
OH MYYYYYY. How excellent was that race by the TKS 2nd VIII, i managed to get my wife to drive me down and watch the school boy events, view looking strong in the 4's, gotta give it to the coaches there.

I still cant belive that race, a 2nd crew vsing 2 top tier 8's. a length down at the 1k and the dogs wound it home to snag the win. there is something brewing and something magical must of happened to the crew during the sumer, not too sure what it could have been.

This crew has posted the fasted 2nd 8 time this season, beating vies 6;08. Just doing my research and the record for the 2nd 8 is 5;57. that was done by TKS in 2001, that same crew did a 6;10 at state, champs, so far the Kings 2nd 8 are on track to smashing the GPS record. i cannot wait for HOTR, my money is currently on the TKS crew.

it will also be good to see ther whips cracking at states for the Kings 1st 8 crew who must have a surge of adrenaline after having to scratch this weekend.

have a great week,
Fottyboars48
Hey champion,
I heard there was also a 25km/h headwind! Call me crazy but I think they will be going sub 6 this week. Keep me posted on what you guys think!

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Seems like the 1st VIII is shaping up as a very tight contest with a number of serious contenders. Joey’s set the early benchmark, Kings play the fox, View look like they have more in the tank and others are close behind. This will make for some exciting racing this season in the heavy weight race.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Recovery from big boat camp. Went too hard with a few pulling up. Seats pretty much sorted. If on song they’ll cream it. Got 5 weeks to polish oar work, they have power to burn.
Whilst I fully understand this, and I'm sure they are working to a very specific program, you'd think that the top crew would be able to manage their workload to incorporate an appearance at their own regatta into the program. I get that a lot of crews scratched in the afternoon due to the heat but everyone else managed to front up for the morning session.

Backintheolddays

Darby Loudon (17)
Not sure why it would be so surprising. They won at least one race late last year and the crew is 6/8 from the 2023 HOR boat.
View 24 firsts not the stand out crew from last year. While the shed has tremendous depth I’d say Joeys and Kings have them (on paper at least) in the top boat this year.
Weather looks poor for state this weekend unfortunately, View got the toughest heat but expect them to through to final.

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
View 24 firsts not the stand out crew from last year. While the shed has tremendous depth I’d say Joeys and Kings have them (on paper at least) in the top boat this year.
Weather looks poor for state this weekend unfortunately, View got the toughest heat but expect them to through to final.
Well that Ignatius crew from 2023 ranks third all time for me in recent memory. Power and Milozzi would be unbeatable in their own right but they've just lost that star power from last year. Expect a few tight races in the Fours. Joey's are the early standard setters, King's, Ignatius and Shore are all cats to Joey's mouse.

Johny Ringo

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey champion,
I heard there was also a 25km/h headwind! Call me crazy but I think they will be going sub 6 this week. Keep me posted on what you guys think!
Whilst I fully understand this, and I'm sure they are working to a very specific program, you'd think that the top crew would be able to manage their workload to incorporate an appearance at their own regatta into the program. I get that a lot of crews scratched in the afternoon due to the heat but everyone else managed to front up for the morning session.

An injury to one of the boys meant bringing someone up and re-shuffle 5 other crews including a 2nd VIII that’s just hitting their straps or scratch the 1st VIII, keep your powder dry for a week and wait for NSW champs, not ideal but I think they did the right thing given the circumstances.
Will field a full lineup on weekend I’m told, including the return of one of last years 1st VIII rowers who has successfully recovered from offseason injury to earn his spot back in the 8 during boat camp and will race his first regatta back in the crew this Saturday, will definitely be a crew to watch I reckon.

Last edited:

The Grail

Larry Dwyer (12)
An injury to one of the boys meant bringing someone up and re-shuffle 5 other crews including a 2nd VIII that’s just hitting their straps or scratch the 1st VIII, keep your powder dry for a week and wait for NSW champs, not ideal but I think they did the right thing given the circumstances.
Will field a full lineup on weekend I’m told, including the return of one of last years 1st VIII rowers who has successfully recovered from offseason injury to earn his spot back in the 8 during boat camp and will race his first regatta back in the crew this Saturday, will definitely be a crew to watch I reckon.
Good explanation thanks Johny, TKS are still favs on paper in the top crew atm. View aims to peak at HOTR and Joeys will be trying to keep momentum up in their VIII, so there will be plenty of competition in March.

IV's are looking very strong for View atm, as is the 2nd VIII, but we still have a way to go until 16 March.

Backintheolddays

Darby Loudon (17)
Hello fellow rowing fans,
Would anyone happen to have enough information on all crews in the Schoolboy 8 races to do a prediction for each heat???
Melbourne schools haven’t done many 2K to compare but View got around a couple comfortably in late Jan 1500m events
No Qlders attending but have some sub 6 times to factor for nationals.
Therefore on published times this season Kings, Joeys and View should win their heats (hopefully). Would love to see a seconds team crack the final but unlikely.

26 boats in 3 full heats, first 3 into final, no semis. Looks like they did some soft seeding.

Glory to the wyvern

Frank Nicholson (4)
Melbourne schools haven’t done many 2K to compare but View got around a couple comfortably in late Jan 1500m events
No Qlders attending but have some sub 6 times to factor for nationals.
Therefore on published times this season Kings, Joeys and View should win their heats (hopefully). Would love to see a seconds team crack the final but unlikely.

26 boats in 3 full heats, first 3 into final, no semis. Looks like they did some soft seeding.
Hello pal

I did happen to see that Scotch got a 607, while other schools i.e Caufield Grammar and Geelong College got in the 620s. Not sure if that is the standard in VIC or just a poor performance, however all the juice will be squeezed out of the orange this Saturday.

Glenngarry Carry

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello fellow schoolboy rowing enthusiasts i thought i'd reach and share some of my thoughts about this weeks NSW state championships. For some the pinacle of rowing. I wanted to draw everyones attention to who I beleive is the underdog of the event. Scots 1 VIII have had a rocky start to the season however they have made some selection changes that I think are the cream of the crop of schoolboy rowing. They have an easy first heat and when the snowball gets rolling its hard to stop. LOOK OUT!!! I would like to here your opinions.

greetings passionate rowing enthusiast's. I am very curious regarding the composite light weight (under 72.5 kg) viii, racing at NSW state championships. does anyone have any intel on crews racing in this division? would love to know!!

Status
Not open for further replies.