• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS schoolboy rowing 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow schoolboy rowing enthusiasts i thought i'd reach and share some of my thoughts about this weeks NSW state championships. For some the pinacle of rowing. I wanted to draw everyones attention to who I beleive is the underdog of the event. Scots 1 VIII have had a rocky start to the season however they have made some selection changes that I think are the cream of the crop of schoolboy rowing. They have an easy first heat and when the snowball gets rolling its hard to stop. LOOK OUT!!! I would like to here your opinions.
hello Glen,

Look Glen, i believe that scotts have a very passionate viii but unfortunatley lack the old saying; 'tikka'. as you mentioned, there has been some crew changes for the scotts viii, but will this change impact the crew positively? i would love to share an example of crew changes that have impacted negativley. you may remember the Riverview 3rd viii last year at head of the river. i was sitting in the stands watching all the 3rd viiis come past into the 1750m mark when a Joeys boy approached me asking for my seat, spitting out parts of the chocolate muffin he was devouring centimeters from my face, when i heard the commentator mention something about frequent crew changes for the View 3rd viii that would likely be the cause of the position they finished in! (second). Anyways, best of luck to the scotts first 8, as i am sure the crew changes have done wonders and will make them "the cream of the crop"...

The SL Dream

Frank Row (1)
Melbourne schools haven’t done many 2K to compare but View got around a couple comfortably in late Jan 1500m events
No Qlders attending but have some sub 6 times to factor for nationals.
Therefore on published times this season Kings, Joeys and View should win their heats (hopefully). Would love to see a seconds team crack the final but unlikely.

26 boats in 3 full heats, first 3 into final, no semis. Looks like they did some soft seeding.
I think if we were to see a second VIII in the mix for a final it would have to be the boys from ignatious. Cracking first race at Kings/PLC decided to scratch their second race due to a touch of fatigue from sessions earlier in the week i heard. Could definitely see them up with some of those 1st VIII crews such as Shore and Newington. But must say Kings had quite the cracker last week in that second race.

Best of luck to all crews racing across the weekend.

Reactions: FCD

The President

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hello fellow rowing fans,
Would anyone happen to have enough information on all crews in the Schoolboy 8 races to do a prediction for each heat???
My Prediction for each heat
Heat 1: 1st - Kings, 2nd Scotch, 3rd Shore
Heat 2: 1st - Riverview, 2nd Melbourne Grammar, 3rd St Kevins
Heat 3: 1st - Joeys, 2nd - Xavier College, 3rd - Brighton Grammar

Glory to the wyvern

Frank Nicholson (4)
My Prediction for each heat
Heat 1: 1st - Kings, 2nd Scotch, 3rd Shore
Heat 2: 1st - Riverview, 2nd Melbourne Grammar, 3rd St Kevins
Heat 3: 1st - Joeys, 2nd - Xavier College, 3rd - Brighton Grammar
I've heard that the Scotch crew in Heat 1 is their 2nd VIII. Would that change your prediction?

Glenngarry Carry

Bob McCowan (2)
I would move shore into 2nd and then put scotch 2nd 8 into 3rd they have had some great success this year
Dear Maul, while ill respect your decison i refuse to accept it. 2 VIIIs just arnt up to the standard of 1VIIIs, face the music. I am going a Kings, Scots, Shore 1,2,3. Shore just looked a bit shaky and in my personal schoolboy rowing opinion I think that Scots are just looking that little bit faster, IF they pull it together. I would love to hear what else you think about the other crews though

fottyboars48

Stan Wickham (3)
Dear Maul, while ill respect your decison i refuse to accept it. 2 VIIIs just arnt up to the standard of 1VIIIs, face the music. I am going a Kings, Scots, Shore 1,2,3. Shore just looked a bit shaky and in my personal schoolboy rowing opinion I think that Scots are just looking that little bit faster, IF they pull it together. I would love to hear what else you think about the other crews though
I would love to see what i saw last weekend with the Kings 2nd VIII, I think depending on what they did this week, (taper for state, or a rough week), this would be up to the crews, while this is a rare circumstance i strongly belive a 2nd 8 crew will make the final. With Kings and View domintating the 2 8, the margins withing the top 10 crews IMO will be within 4 seconds. Cant wait to the dog fight with View and Kings.

I stand by my bet on the TKS crew coming out on top (2nd VIII)

fottyboars48

Stan Wickham (3)
Ol' mate dale just rang me and said i forgot to mention why the crew would taper or have a rough week. Just had to add here. While the 2nd 8 is rare to be in the final, the reason why they wouldn't have a mini taper is to have this race as "practice" resulting in an even stronger next race with gold cup leading into HOTR in 37 days.

thewolfpack

Peter Burge (5)

I would love to see what i saw last weekend with the Kings 2nd VIII, I think depending on what they did this week, (taper for state, or a rough week), this would be up to the crews, while this is a rare circumstance i strongly belive a 2nd 8 crew will make the final. With Kings and View domintating the 2 8, the margins withing the top 10 crews IMO will be within 4 seconds. Cant wait to the dog fight with View and Kings.

I stand by my bet on the TKS crew coming out on top (2nd VIII)
I would like to join in on this discussion if you wouldn't mind. Firstly, fottyboars48 I do think it will be a extremely tight race between view and kings but the boys in lane cove have been putting in the work and have been training specifically for this so called "dog fight". View 2 Vlll have the ability to roll over other schools 1st Vllls which I am looking forward to

keith the bridgekeeper

Bob McCowan (2)
I would like to join in on this discussion if you wouldn't mind. Firstly, fottyboars48 I do think it will be a extremely tight race between view and kings but the boys in lane cove have been putting in the work and have been training specifically for this so called "dog fight". View 2 Vlll have the ability to roll over other schools 1st Vllls which I am looking forward to
HElllo thewolfpack! Yes i do agree the ignatious 2viii and TKS 2viii look like cracker contenders for this so called dog fight, but don't count your chickens before they've hatched! Because i like many shoremen firmly believe that like @Glenngarry Carry that the 1viiis are just on a level of their own, therefore i firmly believe and will back the countless years of tradition and countless years of unmatched victory that if the boys from the bridge #protectthebridge can make use of that cracker start they do, they truly can have a crack at this years NSW state championships, as they say every dog has its day and i truly believe this Saturday, history will be restored and shore 1stviii will obtain a victory to give them the confidence in this years hotr. as always protect the bridge #shoremen

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
HElllo thewolfpack! Yes i do agree the ignatious 2viii and TKS 2viii look like cracker contenders for this so called dog fight, but don't count your chickens before they've hatched! Because i like many shoremen firmly believe that like @Glenngarry Carry that the 1viiis are just on a level of their own, therefore i firmly believe and will back the countless years of tradition and countless years of unmatched victory that if the boys from the bridge #protectthebridge can make use of that cracker start they do, they truly can have a crack at this years NSW state championships, as they say every dog has its day and i truly believe this Saturday, history will be restored and shore 1stviii will obtain a victory to give them the confidence in this years hotr. as always protect the bridge #shoremen
I’m pretty sure Joeys 2nd VIII won their heat last year and made the final.

keith the bridgekeeper

Bob McCowan (2)
I’m pretty sure Joeys 2nd VIII won their heat last year and made the final.
Well Mr Ankles, I'll tell you what i am not one to put all my eggs in one basket so with that the SIC 2viii and TKS 1stviii i mean 2ndviii are up for it , especially since that TKS 1stviii i mean 2viii pulled a 6;07 last week at the KINGS/PLC, but i do truly believe that this may be the men from the bridges week. Shore just need a little rhythm to get the snowball rolling and that 16-21 dynasty will come right on back. But with the men from Tarban gaining another 1st viii win under their belt, as they say a rising tide lifts all boats, and it will be a scary playing field out there this weekend with victorian crews. But it is any crews race this weekend, as per usual i am in full swing of my shoremen and i firmly beleive theyll come steaming out of the blocks like a freight train this weekend, but like many we are always looking for upsets. This is Keith signing off #protectthebridge #shoremen #shoredynasty16-21

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
Well Mr Ankles, I'll tell you what i am not one to put all my eggs in one basket so with that the SIC 2viii and TKS 1stviii i mean 2ndviii are up for it , especially since that TKS 1stviii i mean 2viii pulled a 6;07 last week at the KINGS/PLC, but i do truly believe that this may be the men from the bridges week. Shore just need a little rhythm to get the snowball rolling and that 16-21 dynasty will come right on back. But with the men from Tarban gaining another 1st viii win under their belt, as they say a rising tide lifts all boats, and it will be a scary playing field out there this weekend with victorian crews. But it is any crews race this weekend, as per usual i am in full swing of my shoremen and i firmly beleive theyll come steaming out of the blocks like a freight train this weekend, but like many we are always looking for upsets. This is Keith signing off #protectthebridge #shoremen #shoredynasty16-21
I am not sure what you are saying but you are probably correct.

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Gold cup way to early predictions: I think this is accurate. Let me know your predictions
First VIII
Kings
Scots
St Josephs
Ignatius
Newington
Grammer
Shore
SBH

Second VIII
Riverveiw
Kings
Scots
Newington
Shore
St Josephs
Grammer
SBH
Shore 7th?? I know they have been rocky this year but that's ridiculous. Also Scots over St Josephs and Ignatius?

fottyboars48

Stan Wickham (3)
Mate are you saying that TKS stacked

Status
Not open for further replies.