• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Graham Henry steps down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Seen the rugbyheaven headline for this? Shit I hate sub-editors sometimes.

" 'Had enough': Henry quits as All Blacks coach "

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's a bit more on Henry's future from the man himself:

Ex-All Blacks coach Graham Henry wants job in Europe

World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry has admitted he is interested in coaching in Europe after stepping down as New Zealand boss on Monday.

Henry, 65, saw his side narrowly beat France 8-7 in the World Cup final last month to claim their second title.

"I would like to spend a little bit of time assisting, if there is a demand from a club or from a union in Europe," Henry told BBC Radio 5 live.

"It would be stimulating and challenging and a new focus."

He added: "If you are going to get involved with a club in Europe, you can only do one, and I haven't got a lot of time due to things I have to do in New Zealand."

The former Wales coach, who won 88 of his 103 Tests as All Blacks coach during his eight-year reign, is also in talks to stay on as a "coach mentor" with the New Zealand Rugby Union.

He admitted the right job and the salary would be crucial factors in deciding his future but last week, telling the Daily Telegraph he would be interested in working with the Rugby Football Union (RFU).

"Yes, I would talk to the RFU, sure," he said. "I would love to work in coach development, player development, environmental development, cultural development of a group of people."

Henry also backed England coach Martin Johnson, whose contract expires at the end of the month, to remain in the job following a disappointing World Cup both on and off the field.

England lost to France in the quarter-final in New Zealand and the players were criticised for their behaviour away from the pitch.

"I know Martin reasonably well as he was captain of the Lions in 2001 and he was a fabulous leader. I'd imagine he's still the same character, people don't change," he said.

"Often we shoot our coaches because they haven't got the results but they remain the best people for the job. If Martin is the best person for the job he should be reappointed."

W

WhoDaresWin

Please Henry, stay in NZ and help the Blues one last time...

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Every bit the legend of NZ rugby. 88 wins from 103 games in charge. Defended the bled every year, clean sweep lions, 3 x grand slams, never losing to the home nations in 3 years, a few 3N and a WC to boot.

And it appears that despite his unwillingness to moan about ref's, his attitude of always congratulating oppositions players and coaches in defeat, his willingness to front the media honestly in adversity, celebration & confrontation, you guys have decided to bestow a not-very-nice nickname on him.

In my eyes, that makes him god damn near perfect.

Will miss you, Ted. Big shoes to fill.

EDIT: Forgot that he constantly made the god-damn-awful NZ media eat their words at every opportunity. That in itself makes him a legend in my eyes

WOW!!! What an amazing record - quite incredible when it is all laid out like that.

J

Jay

WOW!!! What an amazing record - quite incredible when it is all laid out like that.

His record against other top coaches is pretty impressive too (these figures are for his AB tenure, Wales not included).

Sir Clive Woodward (England and Lions) 5-0
Robbie Deans, 12-3
Jake White, 6-3
Warren Gatland, 5-0

The coach with the best record against him is De Puppet - Henry has 6 wins and 5 losses.

Now, obviously there's the argument that Henry has had great resources to work with for the AB's, but even his Welsh record isn't half bad - a 61% winning record, which when compared to Gatland (51%), De Puppet (62%), Jake White (66%), Deans (58%) etc is actually pretty respectable.

P

pete88

Smug Ted is Smug Ted because he has won everything there is to win as a coach. I'd be pretty bloody smug if I was him, well done to Smug Ted, now piss off and stop beating my Wallabies.

Don't think I can give him a higher compliment than that really.

W

WhoDaresWin

Henry has officially backed Hansen to take over the AB reigns citing continuity as a reason.

If you thought old Ted was smug, wait till Hansen comes on board.

Reactions: DPK

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Henry has officially backed Hansen to take over the AB reigns citing continuity as a reason.

If you thought old Ted was smug, wait till Hansen comes on board.

The biggest thing I don't like about Hansen taking over is that he will bring Ian Foster with him. ABs will not win RWC 2015 if Foster is there. How's that for an early prediction :)

D

daz

Looks like he knows what he wants to do so the ball is in the RFUs court to offer him the job. But they probably wont do anything until after their review of the WC is complete.

The RFU should drop to their kness and thank the rugby Gods that Henry is available to talk, let alone try to hire.

If they had any brains at all they would sack the entire coaching staff today and promise Henry anything he wants; gold, next in line to the throne, a large bit of the empire....etc.

I'd ask the ARU to do the same, but we have our own Kiwi already. Lucky fucking us.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
The biggest thing I don't like about Hansen taking over is that he will bring Ian Foster with him. ABs will not win RWC 2015 if Foster is there. How's that for an early prediction :)

We weren't gonna win the 2011 world cup with Stephen Donald playing. how did that play out?:)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
We weren't gonna win the 2011 world cup with Stephen Donald playing. how did that play out?:)

Really?!?! That's some bullshit right there. Tell me you would have been comfortable with Donald being Carter's first back-up from the start of the RWC? But comparing Donald scraping thru half a game for the ABs and Foster having a controlling influence for 4yrs in the ABs are completely different things. Tell me, what has he achieved for you guys at the Chiefs in what - 8 yrs?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Word is (from my uncle Kev, who was just talking out of his arse) that Foster's not a head coach. He might do fine in an assistant role.

I agree, however, that this is a slightly worrying coaching combo. I can't really remember back 8 years to what I felt like before Henry and co came in, but I'm sure any misgivings I had were mollified by the fact that all three were previous head coaches of top-tier international sides. We don't have anything like that kind of experience-level this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.