• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlander v Rebels - Sat 3:15pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not our strongest either
Melbourne Rebels team vs Highlanders on Saturday 14 July, 2018 at Dunedin, New Zealand:
  1. Fereti Sa’aga
  2. Anaru Rangi
  3. Sam Talakai
  4. Matt Philip
  5. Ross Haylett-Petty
  6. Angus Cottrell
  7. Colby Fainga’a
  8. Amanaki Mafi
  9. Michael Ruru
  10. Reece Hodge
  11. Marika Koroibete
  12. Billy Meakes
  13. Tom English (capt.)
  14. Sefa Naivalu
  15. Jack Maddocks
Reserves
  1. Nathan Charles
  2. Tetera Faulkner
  3. Jermaine Ainsley
  4. Sam Jeffries
  5. Richard Hardwick
  6. Harrison Goddard
  7. Jack Debreczeni
  8. Lopeti Timan

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If only we had played this front row last week.

Somehow i keep thinking Hardwick needs to get a run at 6 over Cottrell (even tho hes more a 7), plays seriously hard.

Come on boys lets get a result

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
What happened to that absolute mountain of a prop the Rebels had who played early on in the season? Doesn't cut it?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
What happened to that absolute mountain of a prop the Rebels had who played early on in the season? Doesn't cut it?

Sa'aga or Pone Fa'amausilli? Sa'aga in my mind has been the best we have had this season, hes got potential to be a wallaby as hes very good at scrummaging (infact prob the best LH in Aus at it) and he has a good power game with ball in hand, probably lacks the workrate of a Sio tho. Even last week when he replaced Faulkner when he was in the sin bin, he dramatically steadied the scrum with only 7 in it. Pone had one game and played very well, but hard to judge from that. Faulkner and Ainsley have been pretty ordinary to be honest, both offered little at set piece but their main strengths (around the park) haven't been to the standard we all know they are capable of. Daley i'm sorry to say doesn't offer much after his injuries and Weeks hasn't looked like playing all year with his injuries. Big Sammy T has been a good buy though.

The front row has been one of Wessels blind spots all year, unfortunately it's cost us points/wins/bonus points all season. The team as a whole reminds me of many wallabies teams in the past decade that continually got dished up but the management sticks to the guys getting served on a regular basis.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Sa'aga or Pone Fa'amausilli? Sa'aga in my mind has been the best we have had this season, hes got potential to be a wallaby as hes very good at scrummaging (infact prob the best LH in Aus at it) and he has a good power game with ball in hand, probably lacks the workrate of a Sio tho. Even last week when he replaced Faulkner when he was in the sin bin, he dramatically steadied the scrum with only 7 in it. Pone had one game and played very well, but hard to judge from that. Faulkner and Ainsley have been pretty ordinary to be honest, both offered little at set piece but their main strengths (around the park) haven't been to the standard we all know they are capable of. Daley i'm sorry to say doesn't offer much after his injuries and Weeks hasn't looked like playing all year with his injuries. Big Sammy T has been a good buy though.

The front row has been one of Wessels blind spots all year, unfortunately it's cost us points/wins/bonus points all season. The team as a whole reminds me of many wallabies teams in the past decade that continually got dished up but the management sticks to the guys getting served on a regular basis.

Think it was Pone Fa'amausilli. He was absolutely enormous, pretty sure he was listed as 140kg+ but was extremely mobile like Tupou. Fairly certain he was down as being 6'3" or 6'4" so perhaps he may take some time developing at the set piece but I'm surprised I haven't seen him again.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
infact prob the best LH in Aus at it

Aye, I'm Sa'aga's biggest fan, but I think that's definitely an exaggeration. I really don't rate his scrummaging and am nervous he will be found out sometime soon. He's got a good base and will get better but it's not a weapon IMO.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Aye, I'm Sa'aga's biggest fan, but I think that's definitely an exaggeration. I really don't rate his scrummaging and am nervous he will be found out sometime soon. He's got a good base and will get better but it's not a weapon IMO.

Politely disagree here. I think he's scrumming has come a long way this season. His set and shove both look much better, although he could keep his elbow up more.

Case and point - he managed to slow down (even, hold parity) with Thor after he subbed for Faulkner against the Reds. No easy job. He and Faulkner will fight it out for the one jesery next year, with Daley the number three loosie

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

It's more an indication of the scrummaging prowess he's up against in Australia. Sio is good but not anyone that would strike fear into opposition, what makes him the best LH in Aus is his work around the park. Robertson is okay and Faulkner is founding wanting at times. Probably the only one built like a TH, or could make a serious transition if asked

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's more an indication of the scrummaging prowess he's up against in Australia. Sio is good but not anyone that would strike fear into opposition, what makes him the best LH in Aus is his work around the park. Robertson is okay and Faulkner is founding wanting at times. Probably the only one built like a TH, or could make a serious transition if asked

And smith from Qld?

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Good luck to Lopeti Timani (who by my reckoning) assuming he gets a run will play his 50th Super Rugby match for the Rebels today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eight turnovers & three penalties conceded in under 20 minutes, Clan need to get their shit together ASAP or they're toast. Silly YC offence by Ruru may help.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees whilst skills wise not perfect the intensity of the rebels been impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.