• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Super Rugby 2015 Rnd 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
  1. Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
  2. Do not discuss other matches in detail.
  3. Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
  4. Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.
Breaches of the rules will be handled by the Mod Team.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
When will Simmons be ready ?
Will Slipper be out under concussion management rule ?
Did Daley limp off with a groin injury - they can take a while.

We could be under strength in the tight 5, again.

Oh well.......it's only Monday,

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Ant coming back is brilliant. Between him and Sanchez the backs will be so much more organised. The forwards will have to be every bit as tough this weekend and the backs will have to tackle themselves into the ground.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
When will Simmons be ready ?
Will Slipper be out under concussion management rule ?
Did Daley limp off with a groin injury - they can take a while.

We could be under strength in the tight 5, again.

Oh well...it's only Monday,

It certainly looked like Daley was favouring his right groin area when he came off. If both he and Slipper are out,where to for a couple of LHPs?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, looking forward to Paraka getting a chance.

Faagase can also cover both sides of the scrum at a pinch. There's not a lot of choice for the Reds for their next prop, though. Hopefully Slipper or Daley pull up.

We should definitely see JOC (James O'Connor) back this week.

The Reds and RUPA want to pick Hunt, and the ARU do not. I think he shouldn't, but there's a chance Hunt may play.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Hunt surely cannot play. That would be a cultural disaster.
Hopefully slipper or Daley are Ok. If not one of the Brisbane City props will have to come onto the bench.

If McDuling is right to go he should start with Kotze on the bench (EOD may be out for a while he was walking around in a knee brace at the game the other night). If Ant or Taps are fit that is great news and would allow CFS to shift to 11 and Samu to 13.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would also like to see McDuling and Horwill in the second row, with Kotze on the bench. Apart from that hope our pack is unchanged, but wouldn't mind seeing Paraka at some stage.

I guess a likely backline is:

9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. CFS
12. Ant
13. Kerevi
14. Kuridrani
15. Turner

With a bench of:
Frisby
Johnson? (or Taps if available)
Magnay

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Centre pairing crucial defensively for the reds. A. Smith, B. Smith and Fekitoa look in great form. Highlanders did well on Sat, considering that was their first game of the season.

I would like to see this backline get a run -

9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor).
11. C FS
12. S Kerevi
13. C Magnay
14 Kurindrani
15 Turner

22 Frisby
23 Ant Fainga'a

I don't think Hunt will ever play for the Reds again, so he's not been included in my calculations

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can't see the reds winning this one based on anything I have seen this far (or last year).

Still too many issues across the board.

I eagerly await this week's pregame write up in order to make me believe again and get my hopes up.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor)
11. CFS
12. Kerevi
13. A Finger
14.Kuridrani
15. Turner

Loved what I saw of Magnay last week - he barely got the ball in attack which is a damn shame but his defense was slick. Real physical. Arguably saved a try with his intercept (even though the Force had advantage). Great up and coming player.

Frisby will keep Genia breathing fire and is a dependable player.

Reds by 12 this Friday, we have the wood on the highlanders with wins in 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2014, all of which were pretty tight wins if I recall correctly.

IMO THe highlanders style suits us and we'll do them in this one.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The Reds and RUPA want to pick Hunt, and the ARU do not. I think he shouldn't, but there's a chance Hunt may play.

Bugger what the employers want, I can't see the court or cops being too thrilled about Hunt travelling overseas before being presented in front of a court. Sure he may not be too big of a flight risk, but why would they bend over backwards for KHunt?

Reactions: Ash

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I haven't seen the Highlanders play this year but if their style is anything like the last few years then yes, I agree the Reds do seem to counter them well. The guys look solid in set piece and are make their ruck presence felt, which are the areas where the Highlanders try to exploit for turnovers. I recall watching a Highlanders game last year and was in awe at how aggressively the players were hitting the rucks to try and force turnovers and pile on the pressure.

You'd have to think the Reds need a result this weekend in order to keep some momentum for their Tahs matchup the following week.

Looking forward to the game.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
12. FTA
13. Kerevi

I want to see Kerevi in more space & the ball wider in general.

Basically happy with the rest of the team & don't think much more can be done with the injuries. JOC (James O'Connor) - 10 or 15? Frisby & Turner both did well enough but am actually thinking if we are to get the ball wider & create chances in the backs then Frisby might actually be the better choice at 10 for now. Maybe put Turner on the wing & bench CFS after how both of them have performed so far. When are Duncan & JJ back?

1-8. Same as last week.
9. Genia
10.Frisby
11.Kuridrani
12.FTA
13. Kerevi
14. Turner
15. JOC (James O'Connor)

Status
Not open for further replies.