• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Waratahs - Saturday 27 May - 5.30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
A few people seem to think he was the problem. I'm not one of them. I wouldn't say he's a great one though.
I dig your eternal reasonableness, i really do. I think these forums need someone to point out that hey, your team was just a bit shit this time.

But actually, this time you can get fucked. Ref was a grade a fluffybunnyrag

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I dig your eternal reasonableness, i really do. I think these forums need someone to point out that hey, your team was just a bit shit this time.

But actually, this time you can get fucked. Ref was a grade a fluffybunnyrag

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd have thought the first warning might have sufficed, but you just don't get the forum rules.
See ya.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
A few people seem to think he was the problem. I'm not one of them. I wouldn't say he's a great one though.
TMO gave 2 tries to the clan that shouldn't have been with the benefit of repeated slo mo replays. Tahs supporters have reason to be pissed, a local should never be given this job.

Aside from several missed offside infringements by the Highlanders the actual ref didn't do too bad a job. Oh and mumm's perfectly legal clean out which yielded a yellow and 2 subsequent tries.

The result actually doesn't bother me, that the officials can ruin an otherwise good game does though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
TMO gave 2 tries to the clan that shouldn't have been with the benefit of repeated slo mo replays. Tahs supporters have reason to be pissed, a local should never be given this job.

Aside from several missed offside infringements by the Highlanders the actual ref didn't do too bad a job. Oh and mumm's perfectly legal clean out which yielded a yellow and 2 subsequent tries.

The result actually doesn't bother me, that the officials can ruin an otherwise good game does though.

Mumm's cleanout was stupid - why, in this day and age, lift a player like that to clean them out? That will be penalised pretty much all the time and carded far more often than not.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Mumm's cleanout was stupid - why, in this day and age, lift a player like that to clean them out? That will be penalised pretty much all the time and carded far more often than not.
I'll actually give you that one for its stupidity, but by the laws of the game it was legal, his knees were below his hips.

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'll actually give you that one for its stupidity, but by the laws of the game it was legal, his knees were below his hips.

Stupidity - Aren't knees suppose to be below the hips in any case...sorry couldn't help myself, carry on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

And I don't think it's the first time he's been carded for very similar acts.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Shiggins would be proud of the posts on this forum tonight.:)

Tahs played good for 40 minutes but they do have a problem with 80.

Sopoanga looked ready to start for the remainder of the season.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Whilst true, you need to remove the referee from the equation and given the pedantic nature of the accidental offside calls earlier it was a given this would be yellow.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts.

The Tahs actually played pretty well for 40 minutes. Why take the starting players off for units that are no where near as good after half time. I understand Kepu was injured but McDuling offered nothing, Hegarty, I just don't understand what he offers at all, and Ryan.

The whinging about the ref is very misplaced. The accidental offside calls were equally pedantic as was the total ignorance of the offside line and taking players out past the ruck. In short just generally incompetent but the better team, won because they were better.

IMO the Tahs are still reaping the benefits of the poor recruitment and retention policies of Chieka (and I assume Gibson) in 2014-15 when he had his attention elsewhere. Remember in 2014 the Tahs lost Douglas and Potgieter. Who did they recruit to cover the since then. McDuling, and on top of that Dennis goes in 2016. So the engine room is left with Mumm who has become an increasingly loose cannon as his performance has dropped (probably with age) and Skelton. In the same vein we see Taaovao recruited in front of Alalatoa and now retained in the squad in front of props who might actually be able to scrummage, catch, pass and tackle (you know actually play Rugby).

One other thing, Mr Foley you are assured of the Wallabies 10 jersey by default, but FFS a test 10 should not miss touch from a penalty as often as you do.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^And let's not forget the decision not to re-sign Michael Ala'atoa, who despite being unwanted by the Waratahs (and other Aussie super teams) is managing to hold a starting position at THP in the table topping Crusaders team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
OK I've cooled down now. I'll concede that while the illegality of Mumm's lifting cleanout was questionable, it was probably it's recklessness and general ill-discipline of the Tahs that led to his yellow card. So I'm OK with it.

With regards to the dodgy TMO decisions - firstly, I subscribe to the sliding doors theory. So even if the consensus is that both decisions were wrong I don't just simply deduct 14 points from the Highlanders score and say that should have been the result. My feeling is that the Clan were the better team and even if both of those decisions had been reversed they still would have found a way to win. I thought the Waratahs played OK but the better team won, and I don't have a problem with the result.

The issue is that that TMO probably supports a Supe team and that team is probably the Highlanders. He should not have been given that job. And because the evidence is that he made the wrong decision in both instances it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
did you mean joke of a post?

Dan, as an Australian I find the continual and now habitual blaming of referees every time an Aussie team loses to be embarrassing.

(Notwithstanding the fact that there are some poor decisions - but the reality is our teams are losing because of poor coaching and development over a number of years at a number of levels)

Upthenuts

Jim Clark (26)
shows how personal views on players influence wat hing a game. i didnt think it was a yellow, but i dont like mumm so i cheered, he just comes across as a want to be hardman, likes the niggle does dumb things, i though his holding thr ball last week was more of a yellow but getting rucked was his savour then. just wish hed bump of a tackler or smash a guy with a text book tackle, just dont see it

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
My thoughts.

The Tahs actually played pretty well for 40 minutes. Why take the starting players off for units that are no where near as good after half time. I understand Kepu was injured but McDuling offered nothing, Hegarty, I just don't understand what he offers at all, and Ryan.

The whinging about the ref is very misplaced. The accidental offside calls were equally pedantic as was the total ignorance of the offside line and taking players out past the ruck. In short just generally incompetent but the better team, won because they were better.

IMO the Tahs are still reaping the benefits of the poor recruitment and retention policies of Chieka (and I assume Gibson) in 2014-15 when he had his attention elsewhere. Remember in 2014 the Tahs lost Douglas and Potgieter. Who did they recruit to cover the since then. McDuling, and on top of that Dennis goes in 2016. So the engine room is left with Mumm who has become an increasingly loose cannon as his performance has dropped (probably with age) and Skelton. In the same vein we see Taaovao recruited in front of Alalatoa and now retained in the squad in front of props who might actually be able to scrummage, catch, pass and tackle (you know actually play Rugby).

One other thing, Mr Foley you are assured of the Wallabies 10 jersey by default, but FFS a test 10 should not miss touch from a penalty as often as you do.

I agree with the majority of this post but I do think McDuling is an adequate reserve second row- he made a couple of strong busts in general play.
One thing I can't fathom is how Naiyaravoro continually gets selected. The one try he scores per game from 20 metres out does not make up the for the 3 he normally lets in and genuine lack of nous/ understanding of the sport.

ReggieJackson

Frank Row (1)
The TMO decision, I'm not sure if there was a knock on or not, but I would argue that the Two Highlanders came straight in at the breakdown off their feet before the third came in to pick up the ball.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dan, as an Australian I find the continual and now habitual blaming of referees every time an Aussie team loses to be embarrassing.

(Notwithstanding the fact that there are some poor decisions - but the reality is our teams are losing because of poor coaching and development over a number of years at a number of levels)

I agree QH but I also believe we (the fans) should be able to call out poor refereeing performances. Not all criticism is warranted of course, as a lot of it is simply a matter of the fan(s) being a sore loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.