• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I certainly don't want my staff out in our relatively small community as the spokespeople for some extreme viewpoint, and watch one half or other of my clientele walk. Maybe fine for some of you highly principalled types (who aren't trying to run a small business), but I have to battle on out here in the real world.

By the way, that doiesn't mean I oppose his positions, in fact many of them I support.

I understand you're talking about the broader issue, as he also had the mining incident. How is it relevant here though? It's not an extreme position for him to want homophobia out of the game - it's the policy of his employer and he's an ambassador for the very issue. It's very different from being a private employee of a small business. I'd like my employees to speak up if something didn't meet the professional workplace standards that I'd defined, particularly if another employee was brining my reputation into disrepute by going around using those terms.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Why is this such a brave and principled stance by Pocock and Moore?

Homophobic slurs are not an acceptable part of the game. That is according to the laws and regulations, the IRB (or whatever), SANZAR, ARU, Brumbies, Waratahs and every player interviewed on the subject.

Is this a complete beat up off the back of an isolated incident by one player or is there a deeper problem where there is widespread homophobic abuse tolerated by most players except the Brumbies led by Pocock and Moore?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Do you really think those are the only two options? It's pretty undeniable that sport in Aus hasn't been particularly welcoming of gay people - can anyone name even one openly gay person playing pro rugby, league or AFL?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I don't know Godfrey, I thought of two in relation to the stance on using a slur and whether it was a brave and principled stance.

It is not fair to pick on Australia, gay players in professional sport not coming out is a global issue. It is their profession and livelihood and I would have thought that any reluctance in not coming out is more reflective of society and its attitude than that of other players. My recollections are that on the occasions that players do disclose their sexuality they have received strong support from team mates.

However a player coming out as gay would be a fine example of a brave and principled stance. You have to admire the guys who have driven gay rugby from the early days. Good on those players who have given their time and energy and reputation to support them and Pocock has been a leader and driving force.

The more I think about it the less I think that the "stand" taken on Sunday is that significant. Provided JP is an isolated offender then the grinding wheels have done the job and enforced the regulations. End of story.

T

TOCC

Why is this such a brave and principled stance by Pocock and Moore?

Homophobic slurs are not an acceptable part of the game. That is according to the laws and regulations, the IRB (or whatever), SANZAR, ARU, Brumbies, Waratahs and every player interviewed on the subject.

You only have to read through this thread and social media to see why, plenty of people have been highly critical of Pocock..

If every player agreed it wasn't acceptable then it wouldn't have occurred in the first place..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No I don't keep a list because I really don't give a shit who they are sleeping with and what sex they are.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyone remember that gossip column from Growden about a year ago when he tried to out two players?

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Just want to add my voice to the "good on ya Steve and Poey" group. This incident will have done more to educate people of the unintended consequences of ignorant, outdated language than a thousand quiet-words-over-beer.

I'm sure Poey especially will pay a hefty price for this and I'm sure he knows it. I'm just glad that players who, rightly or wrongly, are considered role-models by youngsters are choosing to be good ones. We have enough of the other sort. It's often too late to educate the older generation, but the younger ones should be made aware that certain "generic" slurs can have harmful effects far above and beyond what was intended, especially when they are condoned as harmless. For as long as ignorance is any kind of excuse we bear the responsibility of educating.

Yes it's stirred up a lot of controversy but surely that only underlines how necessary a conversation this is to have in rugby? Relegating the discussion to the realm of politics is essentially banishing it to a medium which can be conveniently ignored and dismissed as biased, irrelevant squabbling.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Jacques Potgieter deserves a good pasting in. The press... Dumb dumb dumb, try being a sportsman Jacques...
Good on Pocock calling him to account on the field... Good example to young footballers too

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The prospect of Pocock captaining the Wallabies is very very slim.

He probably has at least 3 blokes ahead of him. , maybe 23. He's gotta make the team first and the way Hooper has played and is playing injury free puts him squarely in the leftovers after the 23 has taken the pitch.

I still remember the Scottish game in which I lay the blame squarely on his shoulders for the loss. Captaincy decisions shithouse.

Then you have the question of respect of the players. Probably as a player yes, as a man with certain views then no. Personally I would think ( but probably wrong) that. Cheika being the sort of bloke he is would never have Poey as captain in 1000 years ( for all sorts of reasons - that would never be made public due to political correctness)

Looking forward to some good responses to my post

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You know, brown people.

imgendofthread.gif
Literally cried with laughter. It's a concern your sense of humour appeals to me.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Firstly, let me say that I agree with what Pocock said and did, I think the ARU have taken appropriate action, I accept that JP said what he said in the heat of the moment and that he does feel genuine remorse.

On the broader issue being raised here, of Pocock's 'principaled stands', I for one would be pretty happy if he didn't use his position in rugby to push his agenda while he is a player. Once he retires, if he wants to use his notoriety as a rugby player to further his political ambitions, that's fine. There are people with a broad range of political and moral views in rugby, playing, administering and fans, and while they are paying for his liveliehood his political views should be something he discusses in private.

I certainly don't want my staff out in our relatively small community as the spokespeople for some extreme viewpoint, and watch one half or other of my clientele walk. Maybe fine for some of you highly principalled types (who aren't trying to run a small business), but I have to battle on out here in the real world.

By the way, that doiesn't mean I oppose his positions, in fact many of them I support.
I think this is a straw man argument. As a fellow small business owner I'm very conscious of how my employees present to my clients. But I don't think it is in any way comparable to Pococks employment by the ARU.

Mainly because the ARU enjoy a monopoly we do not. They are the only sanctioned body who can provide a team to IRB events. They do not need to compete for the privilege and therefore do not carry equivalentN risk.

I'm also amazed that people who are saying it should have been dealt with behind close doors to protect the games image haven't cottoned on to the fact that this story is being seen as significantly more positive than negative for the image of the game.

The mug punters are smart enough to know this goes on in every code. So far ours has been the only one with a calibre of player/s to stand up publicly and make a stand when it actually matters. It's easy enough to stand together in your shiny shirts at cross code organised function to make a stand against homophobia. To actually do it in the heat of the battle when the important business of "sports" is happening is a whole level of commitment we are yet to see from any rival code.

In have twice heard Pocock praised in non traditional media today, where Rugby would likely never get coverage.

I guess as my final point I would make is that it does not matter the context in which it was said. There is every chance Potgeiter isn't homophobic, but purely used the word as societally it is understood to mean an inferior person. AND THIS IS THE MAIN ISSUE.

My younger brother is gay. I shudder to think the damage I may have caused to his value of self worth as a 13 year old when the most popular insult amongst my social group as a teenager was the word fag. Thankfully over the years I have had cause to stand in his corner and prove my support for him. He is a healthy, well adjusted, happy young man. But unfortunately the opposite is true for many gay people who have been vilified just for being who they are.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Please note I didn't say this should be handled behind closed doors, I actually said I agreed with his stance and the way it was handled. I was referring to Pocock's use of his position to promote his wider agenda, and I raised it because others here have been discussing it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe not in this case but Pocock has to be careful, his protest incident crossed the line, especially with the way he used his rugby profile on twitter to promote it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
ESPNscrum lists Moore coming off in the 66th minute.

The SMH article says Pocock spoke to Joubert in the 67th and again in the 72nd minute. He would have been captain at that time.

The footage from ref cam shows Moore standing beside Pocock when at least one exchange took place with Joubert.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The footage from ref cam shows Moore standing beside Pocock when at least one exchange took place with Joubert.

Yes. The espnscrum timing is wrong. The first exchange happened around the 64 minute mark.

I'm only part way through watching the replay so haven't seen the full footage yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.