• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

All of you who are drawing comparisons to this and been called a "wuss" or a "bastard" and asking where the line will be drawn obviously still don't get it..

Calling someone a faggot or calling someone gay as an intended insult is basically saying that you think gay people are of a lower form and that being gay is something to be ashamed of. That's where you draw the line.

If Potgeiter calls someone a faggot on the field and a gay 15yr old 'Joe Blog' is on the sidelines or watching it on TV and hears it, damage is also been done to him.

A direct insult like calling someone a wuss or bastard on the field starts and stops with the players on the field, it doesn't have repercussions with a wider demographic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

They will be put in sensitivity training about their bullying nature

Gay Australians are 6 times more likely to take their lives then heterosexual Australians.

I understand your comment was in reference to someone been called a wuss but people have to begin realising that respecting race, sexual orientation, sex etc isn't about "sensitivity" or purely protecting someone's feelings from been hurt, there are tangible social issue with homophobia which can cause depression and suicide.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gay Australians are 6 times more likely to take their lives then heterosexual Australians.

I understand your comment was in reference to someone been called a wuss but people have to begin realising that respecting race, sexual orientation, sex etc isn't about "sensitivity" or purely protecting someone's feelings from been hurt, there are tangible social issue with homophobia which can cause depression and suicide.

Mate, I appreciate that stat, but being a Sydneysider inner city human, I see no discrimination of gays, I same sex couples holding hands and kissing every week.

And just no one cares

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
I think Moore's point that the main issue is that it could have been picked up on the ref's mike and broadcast out is the most valid made, even if he is backfilling a bit. As I posted before I won't be lamenting if all of the pointless slurs and insults are removed from the game and we can be spared from hearing them. Not even a decent comedian amongst them.

As far as homophobia being an important issue to confront in the game I only see two reasons for immediate concern:

1 That this form of sledging is widespread which would turn out to be a bit disappointing
2 There is actually a gay Brumby player and the sledge was directed at him. If that was the case I would reverse my position and be massively supportive of Moore and Pocock's on field protest and extraordinarily disappointed in JP and the Waratahs

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
barbarian said:
I don't think we cite Emmanuel Kant enough on these forums. He had some really interesting theories about backline play as well.

Good effort. You would have got 10/10 if you managed to fit "Kant" and "backline" in the same sentence

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
All of you who are drawing comparisons to this and been called a "wuss" or a "bastard" and asking where the line will be drawn obviously still don't get it..

Calling someone a faggot or calling someone gay as an intended insult is basically saying that you think gay people are of a lower form and that being gay is something to be ashamed of. That's where you draw the line.

If Potgeiter calls someone a faggot on the field and a gay 15yr old 'Joe Blog' is on the sidelines or watching it on TV and hears it, damage is also been done to him.

A direct insult like calling someone a wuss or bastard on the field starts and stops with the players on the field, it doesn't have repercussions with a wider demographic.

TOCC

All in or all out.
It seems that you cannot call anybody anything. A bastard by definition may be just as offended as someone being called a fag. Therefore if players want to sledge then call the player by his name only. You cannot even call him a girl.

The world is a crazy place

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
s I posted before I won't be lamenting if all of the pointless slurs and insults are removed from the game

TOCC

All in or all out.
It seems that you cannot call anybody anything. A bastard by definition may be just as offended as someone being called a fag. Therefore if players want to sledge then call the player by his name only. You cannot even call him a girl.

Sums it up for me

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We should also get rid of that old saying and edit it as follows:

"Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will always hurt me"

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
TOCC

All in or all out.

Their certainly is a fine line. If you call them a bastard and they are indeed a bastard it could be highly offensive. Likewise calling a player a girl would be considered sexist.

However for a professional rugby player it should be easy to sledge, Just don't cross the line of personal off-field issues, racist, sexism, homophobic etc. And if you don't know where the line is then don't do it at all.

I can think of hundreds of sledges that don't cross the line. I might start a thread for some! ;)

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
Mate, I appreciate that stat, but being a Sydneysider inner city human, I see no discrimination of gays, I same sex couples holding hands and kissing every week.

And just no one cares

The problem is this is not an issue which concerns just inner city Sydney, where in my experience homophobia is minimal. It concerns rugby players and spectators everywhere and society as a whole. These words impact on people, particularly young people coming to terms with their sexuality. The word is denegrating and should be rubbed out.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
TOCC

All in or all out.

Sums it up for me

You guys are crazy (at the risk of offending crazy people).

If you guys don't understand the difference, in this day and age, between calling some a 'faggot' or a 'bastard' then I don't know what more can be said.

T

TOCC

And just no one cares

Maybe we're neighbours, I live in Randwick...

Inner city Sydney is one of the more progressive regions in the country, yet unfortunately FP just because you don't see the discrimination doesn't mean it doesn't exist... Potgeiters comments are evidence of this...

T

TOCC

TOCC

All in or all out.

It really is quite simple, do you think Faggot is an appropriate term to be used? Alternately you have sledges like "4 more years"..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You guys are crazy (at the risk of offending crazy people).

If you guys don't understand the difference, in this day and age, between calling some a 'faggot' or a 'bastard' then I don't know what more can be said.

No - you are just looking at from from a single perspective - that is the Homosexual one,

Inside Shoulder and I (well me at least) appear to be looking at the issue on a "global" basis,

In years past being a "bastard" often meant terrible things, It hurt, Nowdays the world has changed and there are heaps and heaps of bastards running around. Im sure that if you called a chap who was, by definition, a bastard, he would be greatly offended. It is also a word that probably be deleted from the English language

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Their certainly is a fine line. If you call them a bastard and they are indeed a bastard it could be highly offensive. Likewise calling a player a girl would be considered sexist.

However for a professional rugby player it should be easy to sledge, Just don't cross the line of personal off-field issues, racist, sexism, homophobic etc. And if you don't know where the line is then don't do it at all.

I can think of hundreds of sledges that don't cross the line. I might start a thread for some! ;)

Seb

I racked my small brain but only can come up with inappropriate ones.

All the ones I used as a young bloke have been deleted from my mind.

What about:
"Golly gosh Jacques you are a long hair "or

"William, You are not playing well today, at least that is my subjective opinion and if you canvass the rest of the guys out here they would, objectively, arrive, in my opinion, to the same conclusion"

I reckon those types of modern sledges would terrify the opposition.:)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In years past being a "bastard" often meant terrible things, It hurt, Nowdays the world has changed and there are heaps and heaps of bastards running around. Im sure that if you called a chap who was, by definition, a bastard, he would be greatly offended. It is also a word that probably be deleted from the English language

You've said it yourself. Times have changed.

Just because something was more meaningful and hurtful in the past because of various social norms (being called a bastard) doesn't mean it is the same as another form of insult now.

We have come to realise the damage caused by homophobia and our society has decided that it is unacceptable in this day and age. The ARU and rugby union in general has jumped on board and agreed that it is unacceptable in the game.

Just because they're both insults doesn't make them equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.