• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes V Brumbies Semi-Final, Sat 27th June

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moore is a pretty safe bet as captain given Hooper is 50-50 at best to even be in the side.

Not in a Cheika coached side he isn't. Also Moore doesn't play 80 nor should he which would hurt his chances, if Hooper is selected in the XV he will play 80.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty disappointing really. I thought after last week the brumbies had been foxing all year and really did have an attack. but no i was mistaken, and probably didn't assesses really how poor the Stormers were. The Brumbies were never in that game after 1 minute and the first penalty. The defensive line was passive and conceded ground at every attempted tackle and the attack " if it can be called that was slow, telegraphed and easily defended.I had hoped that the Brumbies could evolve away from the limited White plan under Larkham, but that hasn't happened. I certainly hope he has something significantly better to offer the Wallabies.

Well done to the canes demolished what was put in front of them.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Not in a Cheika coached side he isn't. Also Moore doesn't play 80 nor should he which would hurt his chances, if Hooper is selected in the XV he will play 80.

Bingo! Absolutely in the Wallatahs. In every other team on the planet outside of NSW no chance. I think the Cheika -Tah allegiance will dilute the moment the Soup season is over. It will be a harsh rude shock for some.

I was sceptical of the decisions to kick for points at the time but it did start to chip away at the lead and get the scoreboard going.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bingo! Absolutely in the Wallatahs. In every other team on the planet outside of NSW no chance. I think the Cheika -Tah allegiance will dilute the moment the Soup season is over. It will be a harsh rude shock for some.

You just contradicted yourself.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
One difference that stood out to me was the Canes were going through the line at every chance, where the Brumbies were going to the line.......

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ how so? Hooper is your incumbent captain & there's been no indication that Cheika is of a mind to change that (I mean, seriously, who changes their captain this close to a RWC unless they have to... oh, yeah, I remember there was this one guy, Dingo they called him, who tried it once. Didn't work out too well, or so I recall).

On t'other hand, why does your captain HAVE to play the full 80? Pretty much everyone now has a "leadership group" of up to six guys who can do the job(s) of an old-school captain. No reason Moore couldn't start as captain & Hooper take over at ~55 min in...................

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
They're a side built on rock solid defence. That was always going to be tested after the return trip to South Africa against easily the best side in Super Rugby.

Their attack is based on very fast recycle and catching opponents unawares. They didn't seem to have the energy for that tonight and spent the whole game tackling. Hard to get guys like Kuridrani and Tomane into the game enough. I'm surprised they finished as close as they did.

The Canes look basically unbeatable to me next week. They weren't at their best tonight but still a level above the rest. About to find out who gets the honour of finishing runner up at the Cake Tin?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Um, no, most of us consider the Wallitahs one in the same atm.

Well the first part you said I was correct that Cheika will pick Hooper and then you said you actually think Cheika won't be biased to the Tahs. So you're picking Hooper on merit?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hurricanes too good and whoever plays them next week will need to be spot on.

The work from the wingers in the 5m channel is exceptional and will give opposition backlines plenty to think about.

The missed tackle count from the Brumbies killed them and I don't think even the travel factor would have mattered since the Hurricanes were on fire tonight.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One difference that stood out to me was the Canes were going through the line at every chance, where the Brumbies were going to the line...
They were very lucky to get to the line. In one sequence they maintained the ball for about 7 phases and lost over 25 meets before turning the ball over.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Pretty disappointing really. I thought after last week the brumbies had been foxing all year and really did have an attack. but no i was mistaken, and probably didn't assesses really how poor the Stormers were. The Brumbies were never in that game after 1 minute and the first penalty. The defensive line was passive and conceded ground at every attempted tackle and the attack " if it can be called that was slow, telegraphed and easily defended.I had hoped that the Brumbies could evolve away from the limited White plan under Larkham, but that hasn't happened. I certainly hope he has something significantly better to offer the Wallabies.

Well done to the canes demolished what was put in front of them.
The Brumbies apparently had the best defensive record and least line breaks against them during the whole competition. Perhaps today's lapses were aberrations caused by the travel factor and tiredness. They never really looked in the game in terms of enthusiasm or focus.

Congratulations to the Canes. They've been the best team all year and deserve to be in the final.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hurricanes too good and whoever plays them next week will need to be spot on.

The work from the wingers in the 5m channel is exceptional and will give opposition backlines plenty to think about.

The missed tackle count from the Brumbies killed them and I don't think even the travel factor would have mattered since the Hurricanes were on fire tonight.

The attack by the Canes down Milner-Skudder's wing and then the inside pass to TJP running in support was presented exactly by Kafe on Rugby HQ this week. Pity the Brumbies hadn't planned to counter it in some fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.