• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Illawarra Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Vikings vs. Shamrocks rescheduled for August 4th @ Vikings Oval ( provided there is not a heavy dew! ).

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Illawarra Rugby Union - Results – Round 10

Tech-Waratahs vs Vikings
1st Grade
Vikings 23 def Tech-Waratahs 21
2nd Grade
Tech-Waratahs 28 def Vikings 13
3rd Grade
Tech-Waratahs 21 def Vikings 11

Avondale vs Bowral
1st Grade
Avondale 122 def Bowral 5
2nd Grade
Avondale 53 def Bowral 0
3rd Grade
Avondale 26 def Wollondilly 12

Camden vs Shoalhaven
1st Grade
Camden 14 def Shoalhaven 13
2nd Grade
Shoalhaven 17 def Camden 12
3rd Grade
Vincentia 17 def Camden 10

University vs Shamrocks
1st Grade
University 38 def Shamrocks 17
2nd Grade
Shamrocks 62 def University 12
3rd Grade
Shamrocks 26 def University 15

Kiama vs Engadine
2nd Grade
Kiama 45 def Engadine 19
3rd Grade
Kiama 22 def Engadine 12

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
What's happened to the (formerly) mighty Bowral Blacks?

No longer "mighty"! :( There are some comments further back in this thread ( see posts #27, 36, 40 & 43 on pages 2 & 3 ).

Hats off to the Bowral boys who turn up week in and week out and probably play both 1st & 2nd grade games! I'm tipping that most ( if not all ) of them played in the 2nd's before doubling up in the 1st's and getting flogged.

The problem is that every year Bowral are wildly optimistic about finding the depth and strength to field competitive teams and every year the IDRU listens to them and they invariably fall short. The opportunity arose this year to field a "highlands" franchise in one of the club slots in the draw which would have had the added benefit of eliminating a bye and allowing for an even 12 team competition. This would have seen competitive teams across 3 grades for Bowral ( 1st's ), Bundanoon ( 2nds ) and Wollondilly ( 3rd's ) or some arrangement of the 3 clubs like that. But no - Bowral insisted on standing alone and that they would be competitive and the district caved in! Scores like this weeks are the result.

Let's hope that the junior success that has been reported in this thread kicks in and that the seniors can fulfill that potential! Also that the current crop of senior players can get some respite and aren't too disillusioned!

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
No longer "mighty"! :( There are some comments further back in this thread ( see posts #27, 36, 40 & 43 on pages 2 & 3 ).

Hats off to the Bowral boys who turn up week in and week out and probably play both 1st & 2nd grade games! I'm tipping that most ( if not all ) of them played in the 2nd's before doubling up in the 1st's and getting flogged.

The problem is that every year Bowral are wildly optimistic about finding the depth and strength to field competitive teams and every year the IDRU listens to them and they invariably fall short. The opportunity arose this year to field a "highlands" franchise in one of the club slots in the draw which would have had the added benefit of eliminating a bye and allowing for an even 12 team competition. This would have seen competitive teams across 3 grades for Bowral ( 1st's ), Bundanoon ( 2nds ) and Wollondilly ( 3rd's ) or some arrangement of the 3 clubs like that. But no - Bowral insisted on standing alone and that they would be competitive and the district caved in! Scores like this weeks are the result.

Let's hope that the junior success that has been reported in this thread kicks in and that the seniors can fulfill that potential! Also that the current crop of senior players can get some respite and aren't too disillusioned!

I think the decision by the IDRU to do away with the U/19's competition some years ago has had an impact on Bowral - with no colts or U/19 comp in the IDRU many younger players will look to playing U/18 league with one of four rugby league clubs in the district.

The geography of having Wollondilly / Bundanoon and Bowral merged doesn't work and is further evidence of the IDRU ignorance of anything at an altitude higher than sea level.... really the drive from Wollondilly to Bundanoon would be around 90 km.....with Bowral about 30km's from Bundanoon and 60 km's from Wollondilly..... it just doesn't work...

The blacks will be back one day but I suspect they will have to consider throwing their lot in with the ACT Brumbies and a Southern competition with the like of Crookwell and Goulburn etc .... as they cant compete with the population numbers enjoyed by most of the IDRU clubs.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The geography of having Wollondilly / Bundanoon and Bowral merged doesn't work and is further evidence of the IDRU ignorance of anything at an altitude higher than sea level.. really the drive from Wollondilly to Bundanoon would be around 90 km...with Bowral about 30km's from Bundanoon and 60 km's from Wollondilly... it just doesn't work.

Geographically true SM - point well noted! Not suggesting a merger but rather some cooperation between the clubs concerned to eliminate the bye and streamline the competition, similar to what has been done with Shoalies and Vincentia.

None of these clubs can field 3 grades and if you don't combine their games at one of the 3 venues on a rotation basis then the visiting teams have to spread all over that geographical area. This has an impact on the reserves standing by and the spectators as well. The clubs fielding 3 grades shouldn't be penalised in favour of the disparate highland clubs - it's the tail wagging the dog!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
IDRU Results Round 11 30th June 2012

Vikings v Avondale

1st Grade
Avondale 31 def Vikings 13
2nd Grade
Avondale 39 def Vikings 12
3rd Grade
Viking 29 def Avondale 27
----------------------------------------------------

Tech Waratahs v Camden

1st Grade
Tech Waratahs 52 def Camden 20
2nd Grade
Tech Waratahs 28 def Camden 3
3rd Grade
Tech Waratahs 52 def Camden 20

------------------------------------------------------

University v Engadine

2nd Grade
University 7 draw Engadine 7
3rd Grade
University 15 def Engadine 12

-------------------------------------------------------

Shamrocks v Shoalhaven

1st Grade
Shoalhaven 27 def Shamrocks 26
2nd Grade
Shamrocks 24 def Shoalhaven 9
3rd Grade
Vincentia 38 def Shamrocks 7

---------------------------------------------------------

Kiama v Bowral

1st Grade
Kiama 34 def Bowral 29
2nd Grade
Kiama 35 def Bowral 12
3rd Grade
Wollondilly 5 def Kiama 3

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The geography of having Wollondilly/Bundanoon and Bowral merged doesn't work and is further evidence of the IDRU ignorance of anything at an altitude higher than sea level.....really the drive from Wollondilly to Bundanoon would be around 90km.....with Bowral about 30km from Bundanoon and 60km from Wollondilly.....it just doesn't work.

90km from Wollondilly to Bundanoon, pphh. When Riverina Army's seconds folded this year Hay stepped in to take their place. To those Highlands softies, please take note: Hay is 170 MILES from Wagga Wagga. The Hay Cutters do it willingly to get in a game of rugby. And all the other clubs make a point of putting on a good show when it's their turn to play at Hay. Now how far is it from Cootamundra to Hay? Or Albury? There'd be a few games in north-west New South Wales with distances even greater than that.

90km too far? Grow a pair.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
90km from Wollondilly to Bundanoon, pphh. When Riverina Army's seconds folded this year Hay stepped in to take their place. To those Highlands softies, please take note: Hay is 170 MILES from Wagga Wagga. The Hay Cutters do it willingly to get in a game of rugby. And all the other clubs make a point of putting on a good show when it's their turn to play at Hay. Now how far is it from Cootamundra to Hay? Or Albury? There'd be a few games in
north-west New South Wales with distances even greater than that.

90km too far? Grow a pair.

I guess that is your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions like arseholes everyones got one!

I think you missed the point that the IDRU was asking the three clubs to potentially play together each week so the Wollongong clubs would have it a little easier.... Notwithstanding that Bundanoon exited on masse and crossed over to Rugby League...

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
IDRU results - 7 July, 2012

Tech - Waratahs v University

1st grade
Tech Waratahs 47 def University 22
2nd grade
Tech Waratahs 78 def University 5
3rd grade
Tech Waratahs 27 def University 19

Shamrocks v Kiama

1st grade
Shamrocks 48 def Kiama 11
2nd grade
Shamrocks 53 def Kiama 5
3rd grade
Kiama 26 def Shamrocks 11

Vikings v Bowral

1st grade
Vikings 71 def Bowral 7
2nd grade
Vikings 39 def Bowral 7
3rd grade
Vikings 8 def Wollondilly 7

Avondale v Shoalhaven

1st grade
Avondale 27 def Shoalhaven 15
2nd grade
Avondale 21 def Shoalhaven 18
3rd grade
Vincentia 36 def Avondale 0

V

Vic Arious

The last year I coached Shamrock Firsts, perhaps 1982, we had a Pommie prop named Tony Crewe, IIRR. One game played at Nicholson Park the ref - I don't recall anything about him except for his pigeon-toed run - had had an absolute shocker. Shamrock crowds are always very hard markers when it comes to referees but this bloke was disgraceful and certainly cost us the game. He endured abuse the whole game and then had to do the walk of shame, trudging off without a friend in the world.

To my surprise Tony Crewe stepped out of the crowd with a big smile on his face and proceeded to vigorously shake the referee's hand while talking to him. Eventually it could be seen that the ref wanted to withdraw his hand but Tony continued to shake it as if he was greeting a long lost friend.

Afterwards I asked Tony what the conversation was about. He told me he went up to the ref and said: "Ref, I just want to say I've been playing rugby for fifteen years; juniors and seniors; in England and Australia; and I just want you to know that is the most disgraceful exhibition of refereeing I have ever seen." Pure class.

I was coached in juniours by Tony Crewe at Shamrocks and can say that he was always an absolute gentleman and easily my favourite coach I ever had.

Great yarn Bruce

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Guys I heard a rummor last night that the IDRU wants to start a Colts comp next season (lots of people fell about laughing). Has anyone else heard this?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Guys I heard a rummor last night that the IDRU wants to start a Colts comp next season (lots of people fell about laughing). Has anyone else heard this?

Given that they've been playing 3 grades in the 'Gong for over 40 years it might be almost time to expand.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)

The IDRU committed to an U/19's competition this year but it fell over for lack of teams. They then came up with the idea of playing 10-a-side games on Friday nights - no takers! The U/19's was always going to be problematic as there are only 3 or 4 clubs fielding teams in the U/17's competition and many of the guys eligible for U/19's want to, and are, playing senior rugby for their Club.

The latest rumour I heard was that YES - the IDRU would go to 1st & 2nd Grade + Colts next year, effectively getting rid of 3rd Grade! Another way to reduce the numbers playing rugby in the Illawarra! There will be plenty of guys who aren't interested in playing higher grades and ineligible for Colts who will be forced to hang up the boots!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Illawarra Rugby Union - Results – Round 13
Saturday 14th July

Bowral v Camden
1st Bowral 0 Camden 78

2nd Bowral 12 Camden 51

3rd Wollondilly 0 Camden 40

2nd Avondale 10 Tech Waratahs 6

3rd Avondale 27 Tech Waratahs 33

2nd Kiama 0 Shoalhaven 22

3RD Kiama 22 Vincentia 36

Shamrocks v Engadine
2nd Shamrocks 48 Engadine 15
3rd Shamrocks 21 Engadine 10

Vikings V University.

1st Vikings 29 University 50

2nd Vikings 65 University 10

3rd Vikings 14 University 22

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Illawarra Rugby Union - Results – Round 14
TECH/TAHS v BOWRAL1st Grade
Tech Waratahs 102 def Bowral 0
2nd Grade
Tech Waratahs 36 def Bowral 0
3rd Grade
Wollondilly 21 def Tech Waratahs 20

SHAMROCKS v CAMDEN
1st Grade
Shamrocks 17 def Camden 11
2nd Grade
Shamrocks 17 def Camden 6
3rd Grade
Camden 40 def Shamrocks 12

SHOALHAVEN v VIKINGS
1st Grade
Shoalhaven 31 def Vikings 17
2nd Grade
Shoalhaven 24 def Vikings 0
3rd Grade
Vincentia 36 def Vikings 25

AVONDALE v ENGADINE
2nd Grade
Avondale 40 def Engadine 0
3rd Grade
Avondale 33 def Engadine 19

UNIVERSITY v KIAMA
1st Grade
University 37 def Kiama 21
2nd Grade
University 43 def Kiama 19
3rd Grade
University 26 def Kiama 10

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Bowral looks like a dying club with the senior results :( but the Juniors are going great guns. Played Vikings today in the Under 17's at Bowral and won 38-17. Heated game too. Since Shoalhaven have pulled out of the comp we are now reduced to 4 teams but we are playing to get first and second spot to have chance of going traight through to the Grand Final. Bowral were on top of the ladder but the IDRU took all the points that each team had got from the Shoalhaven game and as Bowral had played Shoalhaven the most we lost the most amount of points and are now coming third. Could be coming second after today and couldve gone back to first if we had agreed to Vikings proposal for double points. However Vikings have more to gain then us so we thought better of it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.