• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Re: Oz U20 squad

AussieDominance said:
Does this make them eligible for Australia(underage & the Wallabies) in future seasons or not?

They wouldn't be eligible. It's sad but it's important to keep these policies to prevent international rugger becoming a joke like international league.

That being said the rules could do with some relaxing, I sure would of liked to see some (i.e. Tuquiri) go and represent their country of heritage once they are done with their Tier 1 nation.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

AussieDominance said:
Does this make them eligible for Australia(underage & the Wallabies) in future seasons or not?

i thought the deal was age group caps don't matter, it's only full international and A squad caps that bind you to a country. so i think they'd still be eligible for australia.

in NZ i think junior AB's is their official A squad which is why even their maori tour this year doesn't bind the players to NZ.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member

Newb said:
AussieDominance said:

i thought the deal was age group caps don't matter, it's only full international and A squad caps that bind you to a country. so i think they'd still be eligible for australia.

in NZ i think junior AB's is their official A squad which is why even their maori tour this year doesn't bind the players to NZ.

Yeah that is the case. if it wasn't a lot of these guys wouldn't make themselves available. Someone like David Feao would be looking at a Super 15 contract in the coming years but he can play for Tonga U20's and have a great experience and if he doesn't make it at Super 15 level can still go on to play for Tonga at senior level.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Fair enough I'm wrong then.

Could of sworn I read somewhere that U20,A,7s and Full Caps bind you too a country.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

AussieDominance said:

Thanks - though it doesn't explain why he played for the Junior Waratahs v the Oz Barbarians side at Knox on 6 Feb 2010 - though maybe he was on the team list and didn't actually play. The rain was going sideways and most of the time I couldn't even recognise guys from my Rats team whose form I was trying to assess.

spectator said:
NSW posters - Also noticed a Kotoni Ale in the Tongan team list. Wasn't he a gun NSW schools forward a couple of years ago?

Yeah - he was in Oz Schools too in 2008 from St. Augustines. He was an outstanding prospect for senior rugby if he grew enough, and was in the Tahs amateur in 2009 but didn't play a lot of footie that year. He suffered from back splint injuries similar to the problem that Justin Turner had the year after leaving school.

He plays for my local club, the Rats, and he came on a couple of times from the bench last year when he was able to play. He must have been looking forward to playing 1st grade this year but Michael Lipman, who has played for England, returned to the club and Beau Robinson is in the team too.

Lipman was injured for the Sydney Uni game last week and had to pull out and late replacement Ale had a stormer by this account.

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ale-told-to-hop-it/

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

PS - On those U20 profiles:

1. Salesi Manu is listed as 123 kgs so he hasn't put on a lot of weight since school 2 years ago.

3. PAE is 120kgs as we knew.

That's a couple of largish props.

Liam Gill is listed at 90kgs now - up from 86kgs last year.

Luke Jones was purportedly 200cms but they're listing him at 197cms now.

Lock Greg Peterson is 120kgs now and at 204cms he's the right physical package. Can't wait to see him locking with Douglas down the track for the Tahs. Can I say, you heard it here first? No I won't - I leave that to the wankers but take credit for it later.

Scott Sio - forget his weight and height - they're listing him as a prop/hooker. Woo-hoo -the ARU must be reading my mail. As I said in an earlier post he is a natural for the hooking role though to my knowledge he hasn't played there before - just 1 and 8.

I'm thinking TPN MarkII.

T

tranquility

Who is this Phoenix bloke? he is massive.

The Reds might need him.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)

tranquility said:
Who is this Phoenix bloke? he is massive.

The Reds might need him.

Any reason for Tahs letting him go last year? (aside from his supporting the Brumbies....)

unsub god

Herbert Moran (7)

In the Trophy, Nigel Genia (GPS) and Allen Weller (Sunnybank) are representing PNG.

Nigel Genia is at wests champ.

T

TOCC

i thought Norths had a strong PNG connection, should be a few over there as well

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

unsub god said:
In the Trophy, Nigel Genia (GPS) and Allen Weller (Sunnybank) are representing PNG.

Nigel Genia is at wests champ.
Sorry, that info was lifted off the IRB page.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

TOCC said:
i thought Norths had a strong PNG connection, should be a few over there as well
They do, with Will Genia and his brother Frank there, as well as two or three others, however they are too old for the 20's.

T

TOCC

well at least this side isnt lacking in size, they have the size in there forwards to outweigh a few super14 packs

1. PAE - 180cm/120kg
2. Sio - 187cm/112kg
3. Manu - 180cm/123kg
4. Jones - 197cm/112kg
5. Peterson -204cm/120kg
6. Quirk - 191cm/104kg
7. Fainga'a - 193cm/95kg
8. Shatz - 190cm/103kg

Total = 892kg
Average = 111kg

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)

Jake Schatz has been named as captain of the Under 20's, adding to what has already been a stellar year for him. Matt To'omua has been named as his deputy.

T

TOCC

I regularly forgot that shatz was only 19 throughout the season, he plays with much more composure

T

tranquility

someone in another thread was saying they could not see the potential in Shatz.

I just could not understand what more they could have expected from a 19 year old bloke, playing in the backrow - who was still only in the academy.

huge future in the game.

T

TOCC

tranquility said:
someone in another thread was saying they could not see the potential in Shatz.

I just could not understand what more they could have expected from a 19 year old bloke, playing in the backrow - who was still only in the academy.

huge future in the game.
someone said he would become the best in Australia, I debated that whilst he is good and workmanlike I think there were quite a few others still ahead of him.. His similar to Richard Brown

T

tranquility

It is highly likely that QLD will have all 9 representatives in the XV come the pointy end of the comp.

7 of which are almost assured.

Gill has a fight to get the 7, but I would not be surprised at all if he comes out on top - even though the other two have had super 14 experience.

Shipperley is the other, but I think he could easily be the 13 by the end of the comp.

Time will tell I guess.

edited: my side notes were ridiculous.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

tranquility said:
It is highly likely that QLD will have all 9 representatives in the XV come the pointy end of the comp.

7 of which are almost assured.

Gill has a fight to get the 7, but I would not be surprised at all if he comes out on top - even though the other two have had super 14 experience.

Shipperley is the other, but I think he could easily be the 13 by the end of the comp.

Time will tell I guess.

Other random thoughts. Justin Turner and To'omua is an electric halves combo. Young tight 5, however massive and probably the best group of tight forwards we have taken to an U20s tournament. If they can neck up, could be reasonable outcome.

If not, definitely in the top 3

Status
Not open for further replies.