• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure why you need both PGS & Papali'i on the bench.
I think that both PGS and Papali'i are on bench because if you get lock injury Barrett moves in and PGS or Dalton come on, well how I would read it anyway, and it's a way of introducing PGS onto field later to get a feel for test rugby. If Akira not injured or sick also indication that PGS has overtaken him in pecking order after super rugby.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Surprised Healy is named, thought his injury looked pretty bad.

Earls starting is interesting, he did defend quite well last night. But to play a full 80 mid week and start on the weekend is a big ask. No wing cover on the bench either.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In a zoom media conference Fozzie said Akira has a sore foot; that Papali'i "isn't quite there" after his recent surgery; and that ScoBar is "probably our most effective lock/ ball-carrier at the moment". Interesting thoughts...

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
In a zoom media conference Fozzie said Akira has a sore foot; that Papali'i "isn't quite there" after his recent surgery; and that ScoBar is "probably our most effective lock/ ball-carrier at the moment". Interesting thoughts...

That doesn't explain why Dalton is on the bench, why they couldn't just start Barrett at lock or where Vaai or Sotutu are?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
poop-baby.gif

The youth of today react at seeing Scrote Barrett's name penciled in at #6.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Having Mo'unga on the bench speaks volumes about the quality of squad. Damn.

Good looking side

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Beaugan was the form 10 pretty much all season (apart from the Final) so it would've been a major surprise if Mo'unga got the start.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Really looking forward to this game.

I wouldn't really read too much into Wednesday nights contest.

Ireland with a very settled team. Interesting that NZ are picking Barret at 6 again - hasn't really worked in the past against Ireland.

Ireland are quite experienced/old/miles on the clock in a few positions. That can go both ways. Either the experience makes them great or they start to go over the hill and the team becomes flat (as we saw at the last world cup).

In terms of the 'big names', Sexton's form has belied his age this season and he's been superb. If the pack can get on top then he's the man to take advantage. Even if the pack aren't getting superiority he can keep a team in the game.

One area of small concern is the front row/tight five for Ireland. Over the past 4-5 years this has been an area of strength when Ireland have been going well and Tadgh Furlong in particular has been in the conversation for best tight head in the world continuously.

Due to a number of factors Ireland have been flogging their starting props (Furlong and Porter) and unlike say France they don't have the impact players to come on at either prop position after 50 odd minutes. Healy is still a very solid prop but his best year's are behind him. He won't let anyone down but he's not coming on and tearing the place apart anymore so Ireland tend to leave Porter on for as long as possible. His injury on Wednesday night will likely have some impact on his performance this weekend.

On the other side of the scrum, Furlong is still a weapon but hasn't been as dominant this season. Many are putting this down to fatigue. There is a significant drop off in quality to his back up, Bealham.

Ireland are well stocked at hooker however two of their best three are injured. Sheehan is a fine (if inexperienced) hooker however once again Heffernan on the bench is in the servicable mode rather than impact.

In the second row, Ireland have once again been hit by injury to their Lion Iain Henderson however can still start the excellent James Ryan and Tadgh Beirne. The small caveat here is Beirne has come off an injury so may take a while to get up to pace and Ryan needs to hit his best form. Once again the bench option - Treadwell is servicable but not brilliant. would be much better with Henderson available.

In writing this, the key is going to be Ireland getting a very good start and keeping their starting tight five out there for as long as possible.

Obviously there are a whole heap of other factors like NZ steaming for seven months after losing that last match, the Eden Park factor etc.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep Kevin, not a lot to be read from Wednesday's game, as differnt teams on field tomorrow. I guessing Irish will have their defence from phase ball worked out quite a bit better etc, ABs got a few injuries and covid cases, but not seeing that as making too many differences, certainly not suggesting any excuses or anything, so I am incredibly interested how they start game, as players have ended up taking the reins a lot in training this week with almost whole coaching group operating via zoom, which really mainly only makes a difference early in week.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Eye Of The Goddamn CRUCIBLE will be on the AB pack today.

Incredibly, astonishingly, it is virtually the same AB pack that was manshamed out of RWC2019 three motherf****** whole years ago. Creaky Cane comes back in to continue his unquestioned and highly unimpressive tenured captaincy and a couple of shitty test loser props belly up instead of Moody and pudding pants Nepo

This just in, Fozzie; those creaky tenured fat loser pricks aint gotten any younger or better in the interim since 2019 ffs.

A packed roaring Eden Park could get the shitty pack of out-of-position babies home but it would be nice to see just an inkling of a semblance of an actual plan or strategy from Failureface Fozzie that differs from the last 3 years of clueless "ok guys just truck it up in the forward pods then once we make zero inroads there, spin it wide and pray Will Jordan does something" garbage.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Some hints from Rettalick the penny might have finally dropped about the game plan needing change:

"We played our same game plan for a number of years and it started to get picked off, especially around our forwards and through the middle of the park. It's the same with anything in life. Businesses, people, evolve. Skillsets evolve. I don't want to give away too much, but hopefully it'll start to show on Saturday."

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Some hints from Rettalick the penny might have finally dropped about the game plan needing change:
The kind of shit teams say right before getting absolutely fucking mullered.

Particularly the very super secret game strategy he can't give away lol.

Its allll coming together.

Status
Not open for further replies.