• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland NZ Tour 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
What is conservative about this selection?

Scott Barrett at 6.

Ennor in 23.

Barrett at 6 failed miserably in the RWC 2019 semi final. Of all the options at 6 it was the most conservative. They could have started Sowakula at 6 (he's on the bench so why not start him) - they could have started Papalii at 6 (see Sowakula) - now potentially all of Vaai, Hoskins Sotutu or Akira have covid but any of those 3 could have played 6.

The two best number 8s in the country are Sotutu and Grace (who are both excellent lineout operators) and neither of them in are in the 23 - because they constantly have to shoe-horn a 7 into 8 they have to accommodate for it and it stuffs up their whole loose forward balance.

Ennor has never done anything at test level - or even that much at Super level - i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that Clarke's hamstring is not 100% and with Havili, Goodhue and Jordan not available it's last man standing for Ennor.

Taylor over Samisoni is conservative as well given Samisoni has been in far better form over the last 12 months but I understand the argument for combinations given the limited build up.

I'll stop there for now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Barrett has to play but he's not starting lock over Whitelock and Retallick. It makes sense to me. You don't rule something out with a sample size of 1. Came and Ardie were always going to play given their proven quality and experience at Test level.

Taylor was never going to be dropped. Ennor doesn't really deserve a spot but as you say with the covid outs he's last man standing.

I would've thought Laulala deserves to be in the 23.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Barrett has to play but he's not starting lock over Whitelock and Retallick. It makes sense to me. You don't rule something out with a sample size of 1. Came and Ardie were always going to play given their proven quality and experience at Test level.

Taylor was never going to be dropped. Ennor doesn't really deserve a spot but as you say with the covid outs he's last man standing.

I would've thought Laulala deserves to be in the 23.

Laulala has a neck issue (Lomax has come in as cover).

Taylor was never going to be dropped because they are conservative. You are proving my point.

As for Barrett - "has to play" - based on what? His Super Rugby form? His tendancy to get carded? He's a good player but he's not so good that he's a nailed on test starter.

Cane I understand because he is captain.

Ardie has been a nailed on starter at 8 for the 3rd season now under Fozzie. As excellent of a player as he is he's not a traditional number 8 and given the problems the AB pack has had in the last 2 seasons they should be looking at different options. Ardie would be an absolute gun off the bench in the last 30 minutes which would allow the ABs to start a proper number 8. Look at the Maori loose forward trio last night which dominated - proper openside, big physical 6 and a hard working lineout gun at 8. Then you look at the ABs which has 2 7s and a lock in their starting trio.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If they want tall timber at 6 my backrow would probably be 6 Vaa'i 7 Papali'i 8 Sotutu.

Cane isn't all that IMO and Ardies strengths aren't so pronounced at test level.

But anyway - ultimately a good problem to have for the Darkness. 'wah look at all these amazing players we cant fit into the team'. Fuk u

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Scrum coach Greg Feek has now tested positive for Covid. Mike Cron who officially retired after RWC 2019 but has been doing some behind-the-scenes work this year will step in while Feek recovers.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
just to witness the meltdown a perverse part of me wants Fozzie to send this team out:

1 Ofa
2 Codie Taylor "We trust him to play his way back into form"
Nepo "We trust him to play his way back into form"
4 Brodie Retallick "We trust him to play his way back into form even though he hasn't fired a shot since 2018"
5 Samuel Whitelock "We trust him to play his way back into form even though he's 82 years old"
6 Scott Barrett "Isn't it amazing, 3 brothers in the same All Black team, what an accomplishment"
7 Sam Cane (captain) "We trust him to play his way back into form even though injuries have completely wrecked his body"
8 Ardie Savea
"Ardie is the most exciting rugby player in the world"
Ofa Tuungafasi
Codie Taylor
Nepo George Bower.
Brodie Retallick
Sam Whitelock
Scott Barrett
Sam Cane (captain)
Ardie Savea
80bb58cd-07e3-4876-a06c-e60851997845_zps85f8e163.jpg

giphy.gif

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
KiwiM has outlined my thoughts exactly. 4/6 tweener penalty-magnate Scrote Barrett, the fuckheaded cowardly "senior contracted" aspect of the loosies makeup, ffs, fuck this, i need to repair to my painstakingly-sculted Zen sand garden and kick sand in its own face now. If Zen buddhisms key tenet is that life is silent, sombre suffering then Fozzie is motherfucking Buddha's Dayglo Cock Eternally Aflame.

Un fucking beleievable

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
KiwiM has outlined my thoughts exactly. 4/6 tweener penalty-magnate Scrote Barrett, the fuckheaded cowardly "senior contracted" aspect of the loosies makeup, ffs, fuck this, i need to repair to my painstakingly-sculted Zen sand garden and kick sand in its own face now. If Zen buddhisms key tenet is that life is silent, sombre suffering then Fozzie is motherfucking Buddha's Dayglo Cock Eternally Aflame.

Un fucking beleievable
Doesn't really matter too much, though. Coming up against a pack that go dismantled by Skelton ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.