• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Saturday 26 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
You'd imagine Foley drops for Morahan, in that scenario.

And, in that scenario, I'd play Morahan as a shooter on defensive first phase in order to use his speed to trouble the playmaker.

The others settle in behind him and Folau + Foley play sweeper with Genia
Without even discussing Morahan's DHPesque defense, if Morahan isn't going to be at the back for kick returns with time and space I it worth it?

Don't get me wrong, if Izzy or DHP were out he's straight in, but I don't think you can play them all together with NGs system.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
PK I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that the seven players who were rested will be starting, therefore Hooper will be at 7. That's for this game at least, as others have stated if Cheika elects to go with Mumm or Fardy at 6 and bench Pocock then he could well start at 7 v England. Personally I think he will stick with Pooper v2 for both games though.

I did say it was my team.

Cheika will go with Pooper, Pocock won't be benched.

He has missed a lot of games this year and does not need a break.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Our under utilization of McMahon is kind of annoying. So much energy and such a handfull. We should be using him the same way the all-blacks use Ardie. Off the bench with 25 - 30 minutes to burn.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No Hooper should be used like Ardie off the bench with Pocock starting like Cane / Todd.

McMahon can wait until next year or if only 3 jumpers are selected for Ireland / England then Pooper can start with McMahon on the bench.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Without even discussing Morahan's DHPesque defense, if Morahan isn't going to be at the back for kick returns with time and space I it worth it?

Don't get me wrong, if Izzy or DHP were out he's straight in, but I don't think you can play them all together with NGs system.

Then play Naivalu instead of Speight if Morahan can't defend well.

In super rugby the various tackle success rates
Morahan - 76%
DHP - 70%
Naivalu 78%
Speight - 95%

In tests
DHP - 70%
Speight - 71%

I hate picking wingers like Horne so they can defend in the line and their attack is not good enough.

Speight should be replaced.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^^ another demonstration of the unreliability of statistics.
IMO DHP is a much superior defender than Morahan.
And as many have stated,the problem with Speight s not falling off tackles,it's his decision making.

Anyway, the camp will really get a boost from the dirt trackers rising to the challenge v the French.
It might prove to be a defining moment of the tour.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sio
Moore
Kepu
Simmins
Douglas
Pocock
Hooper
Timani
Genia
Foley
DHP
Hodge
TK
Morahan
Folau

Res:
Latu
Robertson
AA
Douglas
Fardy
Phipps
Cooper
Naivalu

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
McMahon for Fardy on the bench if he's fit
Godwin for Cooper if Cooper's not fit
Pretty much agree except you've included Douglas in the starting team by accident and omitted Arnold.

I expect Mumm will be on the bench. I haven't seen the French test yet as I'm away but unless Fardy did something dramatic he won't have pushed ahead of Mumm.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sorry, that was meant to be Arnold starting, Douglas not fit enough to start and come off the bench :)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Which was exactly the same as mumm last week. Neither have offered much in attack but an in form Fardy is superior to an in form mumm. Mumm offers the advantage of being able to pack in the row satisfactorily if we get a card or something and that is what gets him over the line. For the bench that is.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
No Hooper should be used like Ardie off the bench with Pocock starting like Cane / Todd.

McMahon can wait until next year or if only 3 jumpers are selected for Ireland / England then Pooper can start with McMahon on the bench.
I mean, let's just put the hooper v pocock argument aside because everyone knows they both start atm.

Cover Timani with McMahon so we have different but equally strong ball running 8s. Timani can expend more energy in a shorter space which should help his effectiveness. He's good but hes definitely not great yet.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
I mean, let's just put the hooper v pocock argument aside because everyone knows they both start atm.

Cover Timani with McMahon so we have different but equally strong ball running 8s. Timani can expend more energy in a shorter space which should help his effectiveness. He's good but hes definitely not great yet.

That would mean the back 3 is Pooper, Hooper, McMahon.

Too light, too small, too short.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
After watching Ireland play All Blacks in Dublin have to say Ireland still raging favourites, so will need our best side and best side on their game.

Yes I think Fardy better option than Mumm. More back on Fardy bandwagon after recent performances. Question whether to start with Poey or fardy. Hard one....but still probably lean with Poey.

Like to see speight replaced with either Morohan or Naivalu. Morohan probably most deserves it. Either could be good bench option with positions they cover.

Latu definitely deserves bench spot as gees after early shaky start had a blinder for French game.

We are definitely going to miss Coleman for Ireland game. Simmons should partner Arnold but Simmons and Coleman so chalk and cheese.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fardy was solid in the lineout and very good at the breakdown.
I agree, MC will start Mumm, just not my preference

Fardy was also exceptionally strong defending the blind side of the scrum. Shut down the blind side play on a couple of occasions at least, and in one play he covered Picamoles, the next player in the line (No 15 I think) and then put the winger into touch. He does a lot of work that someone like Mumm could never do.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nathan Grey will probably have the biggest say in who plays on the wing against Ireland. His defensive plan requires a winger who can slot into No 13 in defense, and so far he has opted for Speight in that role. Based on the tackle counts and breakdown involvements today, there is little reason to look elsewhere. But if there is a concern about making ground with the ball, then just hark back to the Scotland test where Speight had the second highest run metres in the Wallabies' backs.

Naivalu has shown indications that he could also perform those tasks as well, but his missed tackles will no doubt be of some concern to the coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.