• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Saturday 26 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
So, let's just suppose he decides to keep 6 players on the bench in Paris who will also be required either to start or be on the bench gainst Ireland. Do you think it would be wise (and that Cheika really knows how best to manage the situation) if those 6 players are not in Dublin preparing for the Irish (not a very important game, of course) but are stuck in Gay Paree and are only able to travel over to Dublin on Friday for a Saturday test. Seems the potential issues with such an approach are simply evading a lot of posters on these match threads.

I don't understand what the problem is.

Why can't the entire squad practice in Paris in preparation for the Ireland match? I don't see how the change of scenery would do much to help them better prepare, especially when you're talking about cutting the squad down so much that they'd be unable to run opposed sessions.

The flight from Paris to Dublin is barely 90 minutes. I think the boys will survive, somehow.

Something about mountains and molehills

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't understand what the problem is.

Why can't the entire squad practice in Paris in preparation for the Ireland match? I don't see how the change of scenery would do much to help them better prepare, especially when you're talking about cutting the squad down so much that they'd be unable to run opposed sessions.

The flight from Paris to Dublin is barely 90 minutes. I think the boys will survive, somehow.

Something about mountains and molehills

I agree with you in general but it should be noted that Thursday's game is in Bordeaux, which is 523km away from Paris.

However, young Scoey played the role of travel agent last week and had our boys boarding a flight in Bordeaux at 6.15am on Friday morning and in Dublin by 10.40am IIRC.

BR seems to have a bee in his bonnet for the past week about this, it's continuing over on the other thread as well, that no-one at the ARU has considered the logistics. Presumably because there haven't been any media headlines about the travel plans and/or no-one from the ARU has responded to his posts with the solution. :rolleyes:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought Henry had a good game last night. He always makes himself available in support, hits the breakdown, tackles and chases like a mad man. I've enjoyed his footy on this tour.

Yeah speight is looking better and I expect him to be on one wing, he is the closest to that big blind side winger we have

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah speight is looking better and I expect him to be on one wing, he is the closest to that big blind side winger we have

In other words, we don't have one.

We've got a big blindside in Naiyaravoro. And then we've got a few wingers.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They've arrived in Dublin. Going off last week's schedule Thursday will be a rest day, so any overlap for the bench will presumably travel to Bordeaux on Wednesday afternoon and then return to Dublin on Friday morning for the captain's run in the afternoon. Don't worry BR, I'm sure they've got it sorted :)

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Speight hasn't looked like breaking a tackle this entire tour and his hesitation in defence is alarming. I think Naivalu will offer a lot more around the park with a slightly lower workrate Morahan would similiarly offer more with ball in hand with a kicking game but I'm slightly worried about his physicality in defence (not known for his love of contact).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They've arrived in Dublin. Going off last week's schedule Thursday will be a rest day, so any overlap for the bench will presumably travel to Bordeaux on Wednesday afternoon and then return to Dublin on Friday morning for the captain's run in the afternoon. Don't worry BR, I'm sure they've got it sorted :)

It is what it is KOB. I just didn't realise that they had cobbled together the perfect preparation for the test against Ireland. Obviously, I must be losing it.;)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just a follow up KOB, and a genuine one. Do you know if the whole squad has gone to Dublin, or who has been left in France for Thursday's match if that's the case? Any news on the coaching situation?

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
My preference for this game would definitely be for Henry to play the BaaBaa's and naivalu to start on the wing with Morahan off the bench. Everything else to remain mostly constant from Scotland, with the exception of Fardy forcing his way onto the bench for Mumm.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just a follow up KOB, and a genuine one. Do you know if the whole squad has gone to Dublin, or who has been left in France for Thursday's match if that's the case? Any news on the coaching situation?

No I don't know the answer to any of those.

I was trying to get some insight from the video in the tweet below. There certainly aren't a plethora of the B graders in it (Koroibete is one) but it may not necessarily mean anything. I'm guessing the bulk of them would have stayed in France but a few may have travelled to Ireland for whatever reason and will then go back.

Qantas Wallabies@qantaswallabies 8h8 hours ago
Stop four on the Spring Tour. We've arrived in balmy Dublin! #StrongerAsOne

Edit: the video didn't show for whatever reason, but just take my word for it :) Larkham is in it too so presumably he's not the coach.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Agree entirely with the notion of starting one of Hooper and Pocock with the other on the bench, and it would be sensible for Pocock to start against England. Hope the coaching staff are catching on - better late than never.

Similarly, if Robertson and Ala'alatoa are to share the reserve THP spot, then I'd keep AA for the England test as well. Not sure though that it is necessary for them to share as I think Tom is playing better than James Slipper atm (at set piece if not in the open where Slipper had some good touches this morning).

I don't think Roberson has showed anything really at all, either at set piece and certainly not around the field.

Alan A went Ok but just as well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think speight has improved has time gone on but prefer morohan with his recent form or naivalu based on my view he played better than speight in French game. Just not seen speight threatening and making the breaks like morohan did in last test. Morohan improved the most imo out of the three and definitely deserves a call up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think we are more likely to go a 5-3 bench, and given the photo of cooper's ankle last week I think he is more likely going to be in a suit in the stands this weekend. macmahon to sit with him.

The squads for the first two wins will probably be a good guide as to who sits out (looking at you skelton) with injury replacements only.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think speight has improved has time gone on but prefer morohan with his recent form or naivalu based on my view he played better than speight in French game. Just not seen speight threatening and making the breaks like morohan did in last test. Morohan improved the most imo out of the three and definitely deserves a call up

Pretty sure Speight will play. The only reason he played on the weekend was so he could be the 3rd back in the defensive line with Godwin and TK. If the coaches weren't comfortable playing Morahan or Naivalu up in the line v France then they won't be this weekend either.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pretty sure Speight will play. The only reason he played on the weekend was so he could be the 3rd back in the defensive line with Godwin and TK. If the coaches weren't comfortable playing Morahan or Naivalu up in the line v France then they won't be this weekend either.
I am ok if they play speight as he is improving. Not convinced he is long term option but happy to be proved wrong. Depending on what mc does with bench morohan might be in with a shot.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Very dicey going in without a No 10 backup if Cooper isn't fit to play, as I suspect looking at his ankle. Godwin, as the only other player with some No 10 experience, would be likely to come onto the bench, unless of course Cheika is prepared to run Hodge at 10 and then I think Godwin would also fill a backline spot on the bench to play 12 if Hodge moves in.

Status
Not open for further replies.