• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Saturday 26 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
6-2 does seem likely to me. 23 jersey could be either Cooper or Morahan - Morahan would seem to offer more flexibility, but Cheika does tend to stick with his previous picks in situations like this so Cooper is probably more likely.

The extra forward would presumably be either Fardy or McMahon.

Re: Ireland, massive loss Sexton and Henshaw, and if they lose Stander, Kearney and potentially Zebo as well things suddenly start to look pretty favourable for us.

If you could pick five Irish players from the ABs match that you wanted wearing suits this weekend, it's hard to think of any you'd swap with those five other than SOB, and the ABs roughed them all up for us. Luck of the Irish indeed.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^
Ireland now have impressive depth

CJ Stander will be replaced by O'Mahony - Still coming back after WRC2015
Sexton by Jackson - Waiting in the wings a long time now
Kearney by O'Halloran - Was great against Canada
Zebo by Earls - Was great against Canada
Henshaw - Marshall or Ringrose, biggest lose

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
6-2 does seem likely to me. 23 jersey could be either Cooper or Morahan - Morahan would seem to offer more flexibility, but Cheika does tend to stick with his previous picks in situations like this so Cooper is probably more likely.

The extra forward would presumably be either Fardy or McMahon.

My bet is Cheika will revert to 5:3. Simmons will be asked to play 80 as will Pocock and Hooper.

Douglas replaces Arnold and Mumm/Fardy replaces Timani.

I don't think Cheika will go in without a backup 10 so Cooper will be on the bench.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My bet is Cheika will revert to 5:3. Simmons will be asked to play 80 as will Pocock and Hooper.

Douglas replaces Arnold and Mumm/Fardy replaces Timani.

I don't think Cheika will go in without a backup 10 so Cooper will be on the bench.

This game will be a torid game won or lost by the tight 5 (of either side).

Reckon Chek will therefore go with the pretty standard 6:2 bench

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Regardless of whether it ends up 5-3 or 6-2, I bet we see a classic Cheika "extended bench" of 6-3 and the final team not named til the morning of the game...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd guess this is the game where that won't happen because the extra players will go to France to play the Thursday game.

If anything, Cheika is likely to announce his team earlier than normal this week to facilitate the Wallaby XV game.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I sense some hammer-time!

Back to the thread, will be interesting to see how the Irish back up from the All Blacks, and how the week off for the "A-Team" effects the team.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think the Irish game plan would need to change too greatly. Defending our lineouts in our own 22 is not what i would call a strength so you can expect them to put a lot of pressure on us, possibly opting for territory over 3 points particularly early on.

They'll probably try and get the ball wider than they did against the All Blacks though. Our outside backs (and TK at times) have looked vulnerable.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think the Irish game plan would need to change too greatly. Defending our lineouts in our own 22 is not what i would call a strength so you can expect them to put a lot of pressure on us, possibly opting for territory over 3 points particularly early on.

They'll probably try and get the ball wider than they did against the All Blacks though. Our outside backs (and TK at times) have looked vulnerable.

So have Foley Folau and Phipps, at differing times.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I thought, when Sexton was planned to play, they would have kicked and chased us out of the game

Now I think they will attempt to suffocate us and give us f*ck all opportunities.

If we win, I expect it to be off scraps

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
This is going to be such an interesting game. Ireland have it all over the Australian's in the forwards - the IRE front row is outstanding, Toner is playing at world class level at the moment, OBrien is a beast and Heaslip is maybe the best 8 in the world at the moment. The Aussies are lacking some punch, set-piece chops and balance. The backs possibly have Australia in front but it's tight. Were Sexton, Kearney, Zebo and Henshaw all 100% it'd be tighter again.
Very tough game. This is only broadcast on BeIN sports right?

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
for me anyway - I just love his all round game - big defence, big attack, great skills, goes at full tilt... I think Read's game has regressed a little since taking over captaincy.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Funny to see the kiwis supporting the Wallabies all of a sudden. That must be doing their heads in.

The Irish were ferocious in the rucks in both games, we'll really need to work hard there. Poey will be in harm's way trying to pilfer with those Irish bodies flying in. We'll also need to watch out for their mauls, from choke-tackles and the lineout. The ABs dodged that bullet to an extent with their own superior lineout, which we don't have. Should be a really good game. The Irish will certainly fancy their chances, even with their injuries.

I don't think world rugby really knows what to think of this wallabies resurgence yet. Wales are a mess and always start their autumns slowly, the Scottish win was too damned close and a victory against France is not what it was.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I think Ireland will be pulling out all the stops for this game, in spite of their injuries.
They want to give something to their fans, and what better way than a scalp of the second best team from the southern hemisphere.
This game will also indicate if the Wallabies have improved under Cheika, in that Wales were woeful against us ( a run in the park for our boys), Scotland way down the order very nearly tossed us, and we had a largely different team that played France.
If Ireland toss us big time, & then England who will surely be salivating to get at us, then Cheika might well be looking at the rag trade for career opportunities.
Sleepless nights.
Ireland 26 V Wallabies 8

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hodge played all his junior footy at 10,up to and including oz schools & Oz 20's.
So he's clearly the best back up IMO

I would not agree with that. Lance was absolutely excellent for the Force till his injury and led them round the park very impressively. Then for mine he was a standout at NRC. Even if he plays 80 in Bordeaux he should be the back-up 10 on Saturday if Cooper is not fit. And from the look of the picture he posted, he won't be fit this weekend.

There is an assumption that there is a huge gap between Cooper/ Foley and Lance. If it was ever there before its certainly not there now. He just needs a chance to prove it.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Last week Lance looked like more of a fit our Wallaby 12 role than Godwin, though a solid debut rationalised Chiek's investment there.

I still think Lance would be good at 12, but he's undoubtedly being looked at as a 10 where he is handy, having played far more high-level rugby there than Hodge or Godwin. IMO, Hodge's short passing game, kicking, and physicality have looked great but he's never stood out as a distributor at test level.

I'dd love to see us breed Lance as a utility 10, 12, and 15 (a starter at one if he impresses enough). He's damn solid, and he'd allow us to name those 6-2 benches Cheika loves with confidence (knowing Phipps covers wing pretty reasonably).

Anyway, not my decision. But I quite like Lance (he also defends in the line well, more than we can say for our current 10s).

Status
Not open for further replies.