• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia, Saturday 26 November

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was also wondering before that if we go i with:

22. Cooper
23. Naivalu/Morahan

that it's a bit light on defensively. So I wonder if Godwin is a better choice for 22 for these games anyway. This isn't a slight on Quade at all, I just think these games are going to have a high defensive component built into the game plan.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
I was also wondering before that if we go i with:

22. Cooper
23. Naivalu/Morahan

that it's a bit light on defensively. So I wonder if Godwin is a better choice for 22 for these games anyway. This isn't a slight on Quade at all, I just think these games are going to have a high defensive component built into the game plan.

If QC (Quade Cooper) is only going to get 5 mins then Godwin is the better choice because he covers more positions and for his defence.

If QC (Quade Cooper) was there in case the wallabies got way behind that would be another thing however against NZ he wasn't brought in with that situation.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am ok if they play speight as he is improving. Not convinced he is long term option but happy to be proved wrong. Depending on what mc does with bench morohan might be in with a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
from what i remember he was one of the chief kick chasers... something we have been recently horrible at.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
from what i remember he was one of the chief kick chasers. something we have been recently horrible at.

What is the deal with that anyway. Seems like fundamental rugby shit. How often did we get fucked by a killer kick return from the All Blacks. Stupid kicks that aren't chased and then poor defense out wide makes for some easy tries.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
from what i remember he was one of the chief kick chasers. something we have been recently horrible at.

Was one of the better chasers but not as effective as DHP or Folau in challenging for the ball in the air. Apparently, though, he didn't miss any tackles on his chase. That's a plus.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hooper will start with Pocock, that is guaranteed

Correct
But that doesn't mean everyone on this forum agrees.
It's not a prediction of the starting lineup - it's the armchair experts voicing their own preferred lineups.
The pooper was found wanting against NZ and England and suddenly after a few narrow wins against the 7th and 9th ranked teams in the world we think we have the answer.
I can't see that the pooper or foley will be any more effective against the top tier sides than they were earlier this year.
But I won't bother posting my team as it's not going to happen and it's just going to open the same can of worms that's been done to death.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was one of the better chasers but not as effective as DHP or Folau in challenging for the ball in the air. Apparently, though, he didn't miss any tackles on his chase. That's a plus.
100%. no point in sprint flat chat then being beaten with a sidestep everytime

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Correct
But that doesn't mean everyone on this forum agrees.
It's not a prediction of the starting lineup - it's the armchair experts voicing their own preferred lineups.
The pooper was found wanting against NZ and England and suddenly after a few narrow wins against the 7th and 9th ranked teams in the world we think we have the answer.

Aus was found wanting, not just the "pooper" and Foley; and we have no better backrow options (or 10s) than than them.

I can't see that the pooper or foley will be any more effective against the top tier sides than they were earlier this year.

I agree, but for different reasons, the tight five is the issue, has been for years, if it finds some angry, we may do something

But I won't bother posting my team as it's not going to happen and it's just going to open the same can of worms that's been done to death.

Fine, I don't find them particularly illuminating, I find it more useful to think about how I expect the realistic team to come up with solutions, than a fantasy side that won't happen

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
I don't expect many surprises in the Wallabies starting 15, and I expect we'll see at least Mumm on the bench, and I'm terrified if it's a 6-2 bench we'll get Skelton as well.

But full credit to Cheika for the gamble paying off, our only casualty of the possible 23 for Ireland seems to be Cooper.

By contrast the Ireland couldn't afford such a luxury against the ABs, and they got hammered, so their side is going to be interesting. Sexton, Stander, Henshaw and R Kearney all potentially out, depending on concussion tests.

If they were all fit Ireland would have to be overwhelming favourites, having beaten the ABs once and matched them pretty well a second time, in contrast the butchering the ABs gave us and the Boks.

But Sexton especially is a massive loss and he seems to be the most likely to miss out. Might be a glimmer of hope there, but by God, we'll have to be on our game against this team with a hostile crowd against us. Hostile crowds tend to lead to hostile refs too.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Big two weeks coming up and they will be a true test of how far we've come as a team and squad. I reckon Morahan should be in the 23 this week on the strength of his performance on the weekend and in the Barbarians games, but other than that the squad I would expect will be the same as for Wales and Scotland. I think we can win on the weekend but by hell it's going to be a huge test for the boys. This Ireland team are very, very good and playing at home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So how many players have travelled to Dublin?

Props: Sio, Kepu, Slipper, Ala'alatoa
Hookers: Moore, Latu
Locks: Arnold, Simmons, Douglas
Backrow: Hooper, Pocock, Fardy, Mumm, Timani, McMahon

Halfback: Genia, Phipps
Fly half: Foley, Cooper
Centre: Hodge, Kuridrani, Godwin
Wing/Fullback: Folau, Haylett-Petty, Speight, Morahan, Naivalu

Is that it? That's 27 players.

The starting team will almost certainly be:

Sio, Moore, Kepu
Arnold, Simmons
Pocock, Hooper, Timani
Genia, Foley
Speight, Hodge, Kuridrani, DHP, Folau

I'd guess the bench will be: Latu, Slipper, Ala'alatoa, Douglas, Mumm, Phipps, Cooper, Morahan

Fardy, McMahon, Godwin, Naivalu will fly to Bordeaux on the rest day this week to play for the Wallaby XV.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A la McMahon's miss which then resulted in a try to France iirc.

McMahon was crocked from about minute 3 of the France game. Was hobbling the whole time. Remarkable he played on (and managed to be effective), but he should have been subbed.

There were a few instances where he missed tackles/was slow in cover that cost us.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Slipper should be dropped, a 6 - 2 split also seems more likely, backs being Phipps and Cooper. McMahon will probably be thrown onto the bench if he's deemed fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.