• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ireland v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If TK is out next week, I'd like to see Godwin get his chance at 13. He also has the ability to break the line, tackles hard and can off load to supports. I fully expect to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) there, but think Godwin would be a better option, especially with RWC in mind. Plan for the future now.

Matt To'omua had an excellent game, save for a poorly executed grubber. Played as much at 10 as 12 and added variety to the attack and starch to the defense.

Phipps' passing was atrocious. Good game otherwise. Like Lindomer, I'd like to see White on the bench next week.

Henry showed glimpses of his immense talent but isn't yet fully fit. How he tip toes along the side line is mind boggling; equalled only by Cory Jane imo. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) needs to move to the bench as outside back/FB cover.

McCalman played the best I've seen him and is looking safer each game for the Wallabies.

I'd persevere with Jones at 6. He did get caught out running too high and that needs to be corrected. He is a good lineout option, seemed to keep his head down at the scrum and injected some aggression at ruck and maul time (sometimes a little too much according to Jackson - but really what would he know).

The locks are the best we have atm, but I still wouldn't have Skelton on the bench. Sure, he made a very good 8 - 10 m run across the gain line early on and offloaded a couple of times in traffic, but his general play doesn't turn the game around and his set piece still is inadequate. He packed at LH lock in the last scrum (which I think might have been his only scrum) but that resulted in a penalty for folding on the LH side. Instead, I'd run with McMahon on the bench with Schtz and for either Jones or McCalman to go to lock if either Simmons or Carter come off late in the game.

Faulkner didn't get to do much in his time on the ground but showed a good turn of speed on one carry. Keep him on the bench and maybe alternate Robbo and Alexander with him there.

Mt team for next week would be :

Slipper, Fainga'a, Kepu, Carter, Simmons, Jones, Hooper, McCalman, Phipps, Cooper, Tomane, To'omua, Godwin, Speight, Folau.

Bench would be Hanson, Faulkner, Alexander, McMahon, Schatz, White, Lealiifano, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).
Honestly some posters provincial bias' have become so dominant they cannot really be taken seriously. Not just you BR, but others who blamed Foley for the loss due to place kicking amongst other rubbish.

Really since the politics and rubbish surrounding the resignation of Link and the farcical nature of the whole Beale saga, ending in the woeful decision to select the bloke (who in 50 something tests has performed in under a handful ) Australian fandom has become even more insular and parochial. The management of the ARU really are inept, the game was already on its last legs and we throw in the whole complex process of "investigating" the Beale saga just to give the few fans left confidence. We enter the end game now. I wonder what the comparative viewer rating are in comparison with the same tour last year and before/after the re-inclusion of Beale. The figures that I have seen are not good.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
First off... what a great game of rugby to watch!

How much better does our attack look with Cooper on the field! Foley needs to go to the bench next game.

To'omua stepped up. I really want to see a Phipps/Cooper/To'omua backline.

Phipps done well but needs to cut off those horrible 2-3 passes each game that puts us under a heap of pressure.

Beale showed he didn't deserve to be in the team.

Our backrow is getting outplayed too often.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
For 80mins our forwards were adequate and the backs looked a class above. Our set piece had a points win.
For 80mins the paddys did not look threatening and had little more that midfield hail marys (which to their credit were very well placed and executed)
That game was ours to win. Shame we have forgotten how.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Second half watched. Aus structure got worse, Ireland defence was excellent. We were too lateral with a lot of our attack without the fast-moving straight runner at times to bust it open. Scrum OK until subs then the familiar problems. Lineout mostly good.
I watched To'omua closely all game - he interchanged well with Foley in the first half, and as noted elsewhere, took a lot of first receiver, which he continued to do when Cooper came on. He mostly just moved it on without doing anything out of the ordinary. He was solid - couple of nice inside balls including the one leading to Phipps' second try. He just got forward on the one to Beale, where Beale ran a great line, but the timing was off. Shame, as that was a real chance. I think To'omua is better playing 12 and coming in to 10 at times, rather than 10 all the time.
I really would like to see Phipps / Cooper / To'omua next week. I though Foley did OK, obviously scored one, put Phipps' away for one, had a couple of other nice runs and the lovely kick cross-field to Speight. He was getting better distance on his kicks from hand than previous weeks, but not getting touch. I'd love to know if Cheika wants the ball in touch or not. I don't know. If he does, it's a problem, if he doesn't then maybe the kicking is to plan. We have to be careful looking at first 50minutes and last 20 minutes and drawing analogies between the two. The structure of the game is different, but you cannot fault Cooper in the times he has had, so I would like to see him start now. We know what Foley can do.
I disagree with Brumby Runner that To'omua is now our next best 10 because he took first receiver a bit - you cannot infer that on the evidence seen when he is switching around necessarily, and I think his value is far higher at 12. I would like to see him threaten the line a bit more too - he's good at it.
Forwards - Fainga'a continues his renaissance with another great effort - nice defence especially. Slipper and Kepu good again. The locks did well I thought, so kudos to them. McCalman is taking his extended run at 8 with both hands too, and Hooper was industrious as ever, involved in a couple of crucial turnovers / maul creations in defence. Jones got better after a shaky start - need to see more to know.
Ireland played it simple - a lot of kicking, good chase, clever and effective defence and good mauling. They're solid, but attack a bit one-dimensional. This, as we have seen, is effective Test rugby.

I thought the major difference in the Australian attack in the second half was the drop in work rate of the backs off the ball. In the first three tries breaks were made by having multiple runners and getting Dwyer's oft mentioned multiple touches. For me that isn't just the multiple touches of the ball but involvements, as in the Speight tip toe down the touch line to get up from the offload and get involved in the next ruck straight away. That dropped off in the second half.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Before the match I questioned the Wallabies set piece, in particular the scrumbut the consensus (or at least the volume posters) asserted that the Irish scrum was the weakest on tour. I think the Wallabies just held on to their own ball and didn't really pressure the Irish at all. After half time the Wallabies struggled to get their own ball back even before Skelton came on. The lineout went as expected with the Irish Hooker to get a lot of throwing practice.

All up I still struggle to see what improvements Blades has wrought on the Australian scrum in his entire time in the position, regardless of who has been Head Coach. He has had largely the same tight five to work with minus Douglas and Moore (as TPN has been injured more than not).

P

Paradox

Honestly some posters provincial bias' have become so dominant they cannot really be taken seriously. Not just you BR, but others who blamed Foley for the loss due to place kicking amongst other rubbish.

Ahh what? Where did BR mention Foley in what you've quoted? It's a bit rich call BR parochial on that post as it seems balanced. Why personally attack BR over other supporters? I think you owe him an apology.

We've seen Alexander blame for last week's loss, Giteau blamed for his goal kicking, Nick White blamed for kicking the ball back against NZ. It's hardly a new thing. I also don't understand why Hooper, the player, gets so some much hate for his performances. He gives it spades each week.

Really since the politics and rubbish surrounding the resignation of Link and the farcical nature of the whole Beale saga, ending in the woeful decision to select the bloke (who in 50 something tests has performed in under a handful ) Australian fandom has become even more insular and parochial.

I'd agree with that though. It seems to have brought up a lot of simmering resentment.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Jones worked hard after getting caught out early. As ever, should be taken with the usual handful of salt, but through 52 minutes his rough statline looks something like: 10 tackles, none missed, 7 runs for 21m, 7 rucks hit, 2 lineout wins and 3 penalties conceded.

By comparison Schatz in his 20 minutes made 3 tackles with 1 miss, 1 run for 5m, 1 ruck hit, no lineout takes or penalties conceded.

Hooper and McCalman put up comparable numbers, but they had an extra half hour to do so. Not saying it was a great performance or anything, but he put in a decent shift in tight. Worth another shot.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think the Wallabies just held on to their own ball and didn't really pressure the Irish at all.

Thats pretty harsh. Will have to watch the game again but the wallabies won a tight head and pulled off a couple of dominant wheels on the Irish feed where the paddys were lucky to get fast ball out or it could have gone the other way.
I though the scrum was pretty even but our line out was a clear winner.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ahh what? Where did BR mention Foley in what you've quoted? It's a bit rich call BR parochial on that post as it seems balanced. Why personally attack BR over other supporters? I think you owe him an apology.

We've seen Alexander blame for last week's loss, Giteau blamed for his goal kicking, Nick White blamed for kicking the ball back against NZ. It's hardly a new thing. I also don't understand why Hooper, the player, gets so some much hate for his performances. He gives it spades each week.

I'd agree with that though. It seems to have brought up a lot of simmering resentment.

"Not only you BR"

read the post.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Jones worked hard after getting caught out early. As ever, should be taken with the usual handful of salt, but through 52 minutes his rough statline looks something like: 10 tackles, none missed, 7 runs for 21m, 7 rucks hit, 2 lineout wins and 3 penalties conceded.

By comparison Schatz in his 20 minutes made 3 tackles with 1 miss, 1 run for 5m, 1 ruck hit, no lineout takes or penalties conceded.

Hooper and McCalman put up comparable numbers, but they had an extra half hour to do so. Not saying it was a great performance or anything, but he put in a decent shift in tight. Worth another shot.
He took one.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hooper was taken out of the game illegally a heap as well. Ireland pushed the laws to the limit not releasing in the tackle plenty of times.

Yep - saw that happen on at least two or three occasions and I hadn't really been looking out for it. Might have been more than that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thats pretty harsh. Will have to watch the game again but the wallabies won a tight head and pulled off a couple of dominant wheels on the Irish feed where the paddys were lucky to get fast ball out or it could have gone the other way.
I agree. Before subs, we pressured them on their feed, they didn't really pressure us on ours, and we got a couple of good shoulders on. After subs, not so good. It pissed me off that Greg Clark, as soon as we conceded a scrum penalty, started braying about "our scrum woes once again", without any credit to what went before. Good to see the refs got the Irish flanker coming forward and getting in and under Slipper to disrupt at one point - we see this tactic often from a few teams and it largely gets ignored.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Not really, one tighthead against two lost and penalties conceded against one penalty won. They got quick ball even when wheeled, so the wheel was ineffective/inconsequential. Remember as I said the consensus (or at least the volume posters assertions) were that this was the weakest scrum on the NH tour and the best the Wallabies could do is at my best assessment a close loss in that set piece.

As I said the Lineout was a different matter and the Irish hooker would be getting some intensive throwing practice after his performances against the Wallabies and Bok.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yep - saw that happen on at least two or three occasions and I hadn't really been looking out for it. Might have been more than that.
Yeah, I was looking at that. It was at least 3 times. Usually a little wrestling hold / throw. Less Kiss all over it. He's coached the Irish defence well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Second half watched. Aus structure got worse, Ireland defence was excellent. We were too lateral with a lot of our attack without the fast-moving straight runner at times to bust it open. Scrum OK until subs then the familiar problems. Lineout mostly good.
I watched To'omua closely all game - he interchanged well with Foley in the first half, and as noted elsewhere, took a lot of first receiver, which he continued to do when Cooper came on. He mostly just moved it on without doing anything out of the ordinary. He was solid - couple of nice inside balls including the one leading to Phipps' second try. He just got forward on the one to Beale, where Beale ran a great line, but the timing was off. Shame, as that was a real chance. I think To'omua is better playing 12 and coming in to 10 at times, rather than 10 all the time.
I really would like to see Phipps / Cooper / To'omua next week. I though Foley did OK, obviously scored one, put Phipps' away for one, had a couple of other nice runs and the lovely kick cross-field to Speight. He was getting better distance on his kicks from hand than previous weeks, but not getting touch. I'd love to know if Cheika wants the ball in touch or not. I don't know. If he does, it's a problem, if he doesn't then maybe the kicking is to plan. We have to be careful looking at first 50minutes and last 20 minutes and drawing analogies between the two. The structure of the game is different, but you cannot fault Cooper in the times he has had, so I would like to see him start now. We know what Foley can do.
I disagree with Brumby Runner that To'omua is now our next best 10 because he took first receiver a bit - you cannot infer that on the evidence seen when he is switching around necessarily, and I think his value is far higher at 12. I would like to see him threaten the line a bit more too - he's good at it.
Forwards - Fainga'a continues his renaissance with another great effort - nice defence especially. Slipper and Kepu good again. The locks did well I thought, so kudos to them. McCalman is taking his extended run at 8 with both hands too, and Hooper was industrious as ever, involved in a couple of crucial turnovers / maul creations in defence. Jones got better after a shaky start - need to see more to know.
Ireland played it simple - a lot of kicking, good chase, clever and effective defence and good mauling. They're solid, but attack a bit one-dimensional. This, as we have seen, is effective Test rugby.

I don't disagree that To'omua should play 12 to Cooper's 10. Worked a treat last year and we haven't been able to get a stable 10/12 platform since. But I do stick with my view that if required at 10, based on last night's game and Foley's recent matches, To'omua is playing a more rounded and better game than Foley atm. He takes the ball shallow as Foley does, he has more variation in his play and his defense is more than a step up from Foley's. Foley is next best for sure.

But yes, I would really like to see Phipps, Cooper, To'omua next week at 9, 10, 12.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't disagree that To'omua should play 12 to Cooper's 10. Worked a treat last year and we haven't been able to get a stable 10/12 platform since. But I do stick with my view that if required at 10, based on last night's game and Foley's recent matches, To'omua is playing a more rounded and better game than Foley atm. He takes the ball shallow as Foley does, he has more variation in his play and his defense is more than a step up from Foley's. Foley is next best for sure.

But yes, I would really like to see Phipps, Cooper, To'omua next week at 9, 10, 12.
I'll just have to agree to disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.