• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IS OUR GAME GROWING?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I noted that one of JON's indicators of the health of Rugby in Aus is that there is an increase of approximately 25,000 players over the last few(?) years.

I am curious to know how many NEW junior rugby clubs have started up in say the last three years.

Can anyone point me to where I can find this information please?

I think it would give a better indication of our progress.

Discuss

T

TOCC

Those 'indicators' need to be taken with a grain of salt..
Participation or 'player numbers' in a rugby union event can be anything from a one-off school carnival or even those new 'Rookies to Reds' programs which are weekend events.

Im not necessarily sure that 'NEW' junior rugby clubs are a much better indicator either, however i was reading the other day that some of the Brisbane Junior Rugby clubs are experiencing massive growth in the U6/U7 age groups, some clubs around 20% increase on previous years.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Didn't Winston Churchill say "lies, damned lies, and statistics"?

What is the definition of a player?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not showing in subbies. Seems many teams are struggling to get four grades outwhenonce they did so easily, with a colts side

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In Brisbane, there have been no new ones of late. But the growth has been massive at the existing clubs. Particularly around that U6, U7, U8 age group. Its all very positive. In saying that, its a (re)new(ed) strategic imperative of the QRU to identify potential new club sites throughout the state, either through population growth or to support over subscribed existing clubs

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
The chocolate ration keeps going up and up as well.

Long live Big Brother John O'Neil

happyjack

Sydney Middleton (9)
There are more people sampling Rugby but less people playing regular Rugby. Playing numbers in Brisane seniors are down 10% for the 2nd year in a row with teams numbers significantly down. The U17 & U16 BJRU comps had to be combined because there were not enough teams for discreet competitions in Div 1.
Country used to have a round robin regional competition but this year saw regions such as Sunshine Coast forfeit in a scaled down competition.
Major counts come from school based sampling programs. The QRU have commercial sponsor KPIs for Rookies2Reds.
The game was at its peak for serious competitive Rugby from 1999-2002 when we had the benefit of large revenue injections to development budgets and a coordinated national participation program focusing on regular Rugby.
The reality is that there is no money in people playing the game but heaps in people watching on TV, buying tickets or merchandise.

T

TOCC

There are more people sampling Rugby but less people playing regular Rugby. Playing numbers in Brisane seniors are down 10% for the 2nd year in a row with teams numbers significantly down. The U17 & U16 BJRU comps had to be combined because there were not enough teams for discreet competitions in Div 1.
Country used to have a round robin regional competition but this year saw regions such as Sunshine Coast forfeit in a scaled down competition.
Major counts come from school based sampling programs. The QRU have commercial sponsor KPIs for Rookies2Reds.
The game was at its peak for serious competitive Rugby from 1999-2002 when we had the benefit of large revenue injections to development budgets and a coordinated national participation program focusing on regular Rugby.
The reality is that there is no money in people playing the game but heaps in people watching on TV, buying tickets or merchandise.

Playing numbers in Brisbane seniors are down 10% for the 2nd year in a row: is this a fact or just hearsay?stats indicate that senior numbers have remained static rather then shrinking

Country round robin: No offence but this seems like a budget issue rather then a players numbers... Sunshine Coast have more then enough players to put together teams

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
A good barometer is Subbies rugby in Sydney, some areas are weaker than they used to be but total club number appear to be the same with a slight growth in colts teams. I would say things are fairly stable in the last 5 years, juniors I reckon have grown.
Spectators and general interest/media has dropped right off

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Spectators and general interest/media has dropped right off
Gagger, MrTimms and Moses have seen the same so that's why we are going into the #3rdtier stuff so heavily. That's why there is now a #3rdtier and Schoolboys section on the front page. Have a look it's pretty awesome. We're still looking for help filling these sections with content. 100 words about a game you've been to will make all the difference. Remember MrTimms's catch phrase. If you come, they will build it.

R

ripper868

e.
Not really sure about the 'Commercial KPIs" bit - have a look at http://www.rookies2reds.com.au/ - I'm not seeing any sponsor logos or anything splashed everywhere, all just Reds Branding from what I can see. Same deal at the clinics it's all Reds branding.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Our junior club in north-west Sydney has seen an absolute boom in the U6/U7 age-groups, I think about a 50% increase total over the past 2 seasons. No doubt largely due to demographics, but also lots of community engagement.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think if senior mens clubs were to introduce an under 80kg grade to the competition it would boost playing numbers significantly. Lots of players quit after colts as they just get too knocked around in grade rugby and the injuries impact on their day job.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think if senior mens clubs were to introduce an under 80kg grade to the competition it would boost playing numbers significantly. Lots of players quit after colts as they just get too knocked around in grade rugby and the injuries impact on their day job.

Sydney subbies has an under 85s comp. Only 6 teams play in it though.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not showing in subbies. Seems many teams are struggling to get four grades outwhenonce they did so easily, with a colts side

Sydney subbies tends to be pretty fluid.

Some sides are certainly struggling for numbers at the moment, eg. Hornsby as was said before. However there are issues that are specific to each club that also explain that a bit (ie they are losing every game, poor club culture etc, not that I am saying that about Hornsby although the former certainly applies to some extent).

However others are booming- Colleagues, Balmain, Mosman, Petersham, UNSW. All very well stocked and some having to turn blokes away. Again there are situational factors (they are winning every game) at play here.

So I'm not sure you can really judge Subbies as an overall bellwether of where the game is at.

Status
Not open for further replies.