• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA 2023

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
Geez they'll have no time to catch their breath hey! They could reasonably finish with 5 from 6 and maybe - who knows - a clean sweep! You'll hear the crowing from Castle Hill for weeks :)
They will be very much battle hardened, shows the confidence the coaches have in the team. I've heard Auggies are well into their season with a 7s comp a couple weeks back against Knox and a trial against Rats Colts today to which they won. Then they have Daramalan and Eddies after their camp in Term 1 holidays. Unsure of rest of season. Anyone know anyone else?

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
They will be very much battle hardened, shows the confidence the coaches have in the team. I've heard Auggies are well into their season with a 7s comp a couple weeks back against Knox and a trial against Rats Colts today to which they won. Then they have Daramalan and Eddies after their camp in Term 1 holidays. Unsure of rest of season. Anyone know anyone else?
Pats are very much focussed on the Japan trip for now and I havent been able to get any trial game news from them. I suspect, as is usualluy the case, we'll have to look at the CAS/GPS schedules and work it out from there.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Apparently Oakhill will be taking 70 of their 'Opens Age' players on their NZ tour. How amazing will it be for someone who might be a Year 12 student playing 4th XV and still get the chance to go on a rugby tour with his school mates ? That probably explains why Oakhill has so many of their Year 11s and 12s playing rugby every year, considering sport is not compulsory there.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Apparently Oakhill will be taking 70 of their 'Opens Age' players on their NZ tour. How amazing will it be for someone who might be a Year 12 student playing 4th XV and still get the chance to go on a rugby tour with his school mates ? That probably explains why Oakhill has so many of their Year 11s and 12s playing rugby every year, considering sport is not compulsory there.
Yes agreed - amazing experience for a group that probably wouldnt get a look in elsewhere. There's a lot to be said for a non compulsory sports program. You really do get to guage the health of sport in the school via rates of participation.

Last edited:

Mikal Jordan

Stan Wickham (3)
Auggies got pumped in every game they played at the sevens
Gonna be another tough year for the boys in green and gold

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
Auggies got pumped in every game they played at the sevens
Gonna be another tough year for the boys in green and gold
In the year 11 team (striped jerseys) they only lost by 1 or 2 tries every game, the year 12s weren't as lucky. Considering they didn't have their best players playing, I figured they held out pretty well against the Knox boys who pulled their players out of their Harold Mats and SG Ball cup sides to play in the comp. I think it will be a great game to watch when Auggies vs Knox this year.

BigBoppa

Frank Row (1)
Auggies play against Daramalan and Eddies before their camp then they play trials against Trinity, Kings, Joeys, Knox, Waverly, and Cranbrook. The boys in the green and gold will be the ones to watch heading into the ISA season.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
As always, the CAS/GPS websites are helpful:

Pats Schedule as follows -
29/4 : v Trinity (away)
6/5 : v Cranbrook (home) (also listed as playing View Thirds so not sure what team will play them)
13/5 : v Barker (home)
20/4 : a bit unclear here but it is either High or Grammar (both away). Listed as playing both so it might be 1sts taking on Grammar and 2nds taking High
27/4 : v Knox (home)

Would have liked to see a game against Waverley or another GPS team but I think there's enough starch in that trial program to prepare them for Round 1. Having both Knox and Barker at home will be great fun. I'll make sure I get down to Old Boys corner and offer my impartial and nuanced opinions on how the visitors are playing should they come near :)

Mikal Jordan

Stan Wickham (3)
I’ve heard Pius are coming up against some pretty strong outfits in
Waverley 1st
Scots and Barker 2nds
While also playing Aloys twice (which should be an easy win for the pbs)
Any thoughts on how pius go this year
I have them having a pretty decent year, definitely see them beating Kinross and Greg’s and Stannies and Pats at home

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
Waverley 1st
Scots and Barker 2nds
I have them having a pretty decent year, definitely see them beating Kinross and Greg’s and Stannies and Pats at home
They most likely won't beat Pats, I believe Pats have a very solid chance of winning the comp this year. Stannies maybe but they always have a decent side.

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Waverley 1st
Scots and Barker 2nds
I'd agree that any team that takes then lightly at home does so at their peril. Pius will need to show a fair bit more through their forward pack if they are to knock off Pats. I thought their forwards were the difference between winning and losing last year to Black. But that's applying reason and logic to a Pats Pius game and we all know that neither of those metrics holds any water for this match. Both teams will beat the snot out of each other and I think we all like it that way :)

Last edited:

JamesPapallo

Stan Wickham (3)
I've heard of some young talent from the Auggies side a young man named Luke Duffel. Playing 16 A's last year on top of Warringah rats and also played for the fiji U 17's in the international cup. I would assume he would be the starting number 2 for St Augs and he will be one to watch throughout the 2023 ISA season.

Does anybody else know of any other potential players to look out for from the Auggies camp as I think they could be a real contender for the premiership?

BigBoppa

Frank Row (1)
I've heard of some young talent from the Auggies side a young man named Luke Duffel. Playing 16 A's last year on top of Warringah rats and also played for the fiji U 17's in the international cup. I would assume he would be the starting number 2 for St Augs and he will be one to watch throughout the 2023 ISA season.

Does anybody else know of any other potential players to look out for from the Auggies camp as I think they could be a real contender for the premiership?
Yes, I've also heard of a young talent from Auggies called Hugo Perez, it's his first year playing but he seems to have a natural talent for rugby. He may even be able to work his way up into firsts by the start of the ISA season

loudnproudscotsdaddy

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, I've also heard of a young talent from Auggies called Hugo Perez, it's his first year playing but he seems to have a natural talent for rugby. He may even be able to work his way up into firsts by the start of the ISA season
Yes I have heard of him, I've also heard of a young gun prospect Oliver "John Boy" Joyce. Kid is a generational talent coming out of the fearless and deadly "Sick Pups"

JackJill

Chris McKivat (8)
As some schools are playing their first trial this weekend I thought I'd give my final prediction for the ISA competition in the 1sts and 2nds sides.

1ST XV

1. Oakhill - I have Oaks coming first this year purely based off last years performances and depth. Consistently putting on strong 1st XV outfits every year have placed them at the top of my list. Their year 12 Cohort seems to be the best across ISA judging off their 2nds scores last year, and the year 11s have some very fine talent across their age group as well. Definitely not unbeatable though, they will have some close games.

2/3. Pats - Conti and Woods have been amongst some of the best players in the Harold Matthews comp this year. I'm putting them at 2/3 because they do not hold the depth that Oakhill does, especially in the forwards, and 2 freak players won't beat a side of 15 solid men. I can still see them finishing first though, if their forwards are going to show up and match the tenacity and speed Conti and Woods thrive in, I can see them taking out Oaks and Auggies.

2/3. Auggies - A dark horse runner for me. Has a very well rounded backline now and has a very solid and underrated forward pack. They will finish anywhere in the top 3 I'm sure, Walsh will impact this team massively with his play-style and the craftiness of Blank at 9 and Berryman at 15 will definitely assist him. I can see this squad beating Oaks and Pats and I'm sure both those games will be nail biters. Pats and Auggies are interchangeable at 2 and 3, I can also see both teams taking that top spot.

4. Stannies - Another question mark for me. Don't really know how well they are this year. They always show a good fight though and will not back down against the top 3 teams. A lot of passion as well and will be hard to beat at home.

5. Pius - Again, don't really know how well they are, there have been talks on this forum about their promising hooker which could tighten up their forward and I know they have some good back row defenders and some fast shifty backs. Could see them fairing well up against the teams above them.

6. Gregs - Again, another throw up. Could be good when a good team comes along and did beat the 16A champions, Auggies, last year. Hopefully competitive but still a prominent league school over union.

7. Kinross - I hope Kinross go well this year but I can't really see this happening. They did not look too promising last year in the 1sts or 2nds so it might be a tough year, please prove me wrong though.

And now for the 2nds.

2ND XV
1. Auggies - A lot of talent at Auggies, can see them beating some 1st teams.
2. Oakhill - So much depth.
3. Stannies - Pure grit from the boys in Bathurst, can see them getting up as the passion for rugby is unmatched.
4. Pats - Should have a solid team, 1st XV should challenge them to be good.
5. Pius - A decent 2nd XV team last year as well as a good 16A team should leave some good players.
6. Kinross - Hopefully since rugby is their main sport they have a few players to choose from which will make them competitive.
7. Gregs - Not too much depth over at Gregs with most boys playing league.

JamesPapallo

Stan Wickham (3)
As some schools are playing their first trial this weekend I thought I'd give my final prediction for the ISA competition in the 1sts and 2nds sides.

1ST XV

1. Oakhill - I have Oaks coming first this year purely based off last years performances and depth. Consistently putting on strong 1st XV outfits every year have placed them at the top of my list. Their year 12 Cohort seems to be the best across ISA judging off their 2nds scores last year, and the year 11s have some very fine talent across their age group as well. Definitely not unbeatable though, they will have some close games.

2/3. Pats - Conti and Woods have been amongst some of the best players in the Harold Matthews comp this year. I'm putting them at 2/3 because they do not hold the depth that Oakhill does, especially in the forwards, and 2 freak players won't beat a side of 15 solid men. I can still see them finishing first though, if their forwards are going to show up and match the tenacity and speed Conti and Woods thrive in, I can see them taking out Oaks and Auggies.

2/3. Auggies - A dark horse runner for me. Has a very well rounded backline now and has a very solid and underrated forward pack. They will finish anywhere in the top 3 I'm sure, Walsh will impact this team massively with his play-style and the craftiness of Blank at 9 and Berryman at 15 will definitely assist him. I can see this squad beating Oaks and Pats and I'm sure both those games will be nail biters. Pats and Auggies are interchangeable at 2 and 3, I can also see both teams taking that top spot.

4. Stannies - Another question mark for me. Don't really know how well they are this year. They always show a good fight though and will not back down against the top 3 teams. A lot of passion as well and will be hard to beat at home.

5. Pius - Again, don't really know how well they are, there have been talks on this forum about their promising hooker which could tighten up their forward and I know they have some good back row defenders and some fast shifty backs. Could see them fairing well up against the teams above them.

6. Gregs - Again, another throw up. Could be good when a good team comes along and did beat the 16A champions, Auggies, last year. Hopefully competitive but still a prominent league school over union.

7. Kinross - I hope Kinross go well this year but I can't really see this happening. They did not look too promising last year in the 1sts or 2nds so it might be a tough year, please prove me wrong though.

And now for the 2nds.

2ND XV
3. Stannies - Pure grit from the boys in Bathurst, can see them getting up as the passion for rugby is unmatched.
5. Pius - A decent 2nd XV team last year as well as a good 16A team should leave some good players.
6. Kinross - Hopefully since rugby is their main sport they have a few players to choose from which will make them competitive.

I don't think you could of said it better, really great analysing in depth of the ISA teams. For me my vote would be Oakhill coming in at first following closely behind them would be Auggies and then pats etc. However this could definitely change because overall it comes down to who wants it more on the day.

Hankspank

Larry Dwyer (12)

1ST XV

And now for the 2nds.

2ND XV
Half of Oakhills team either played the whole season in firsts last year or got a lot of game time. The step up shouldn't be a problem for those that didn't as 16 A's & 2nds was also very strong.

Gutho12

Frank Row (1)
I'd agree that any team that takes then lightly at home does so at their peril. Pius will need to show a fair bit more through their forward pack if they are to knock off Pats. I thought their forwards were the difference between winning and losing last year to Black. But that's applying reason and logic to a Pats Pius game and we all know that neither of those metrics holds any water for this match. Both teams will beat the snot out of each other and I think we all like it that way :)
Last years Pius forward pack consisted of 6 year 11s and 10s, meaning only two new forwards are required. If all stay healthy their forwards could put up a strong fight along with some pace in the backs

DaSchmooze

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Half of Oakhills team either played the whole season in firsts last year or got a lot of game time. The step up shouldn't be a problem for those that didn't as 16 A's & 2nds was also very strong.
Hank will you be back providing us the inside running on Oakhill this year?