• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sadly, I think you are right about the prospects of The Bye, but I love to champion the underdog.

You have to admire their consistency, and impeccable discipline record. Despite a history of predictable negative results, they front up week in week out to take their medicine. Never heard of The Bye forfeiting any match ever.

slay2play

Frank Row (1)
Just a regular update

ISA squad is looking very strong this year and i wish them all the best against CAS teams. I particularly like the selection of Jonnie Walker [black label] into the squad as a future AUS schoolboys talent.

In regards to some updates last round:

Pius is led by Jake Tysoe in an impressive performance once again. He is a very formiddable player and adds a certain "spark" to the field. However the rest of the team is poor in the breakdowns and cant handle the tough demands of ISA 1st division. I foresee them being dropped resulting in a double round ISA first competition.

SPC had a dissapointing game against Grammar, heard they are making soome changes to the squad as a result. Taking on John Gabor into the centres who will no doubt be solid with his current form in 2nds. The 4th XV still remain undefeated beating Riverview 7th XV on the weekend. They have an immense backline headed by the great Tom Burt and Jono Maree who can kick the full length.

Oakhill are looking like they could win this year. BenCotton is doing an amazing jump at fullback with a number of great clearance kick, and looks to have the ISA 1st XV spot since the O'bryson is out. I love oakhill lineout have a number of set plays that have been effective. Oakhill over the years have shaped up into a great rugby school. The clash with St pats should be good, however St PAts need to have a full team at full strength to win, including the Liam O'brien and Joshua Taweel, SG Ball and NSW club players respectively.

As for Augustines, I refuse to give them praise as they continue to give scholarships out whenever they are behind. Its disgraceful, this is seen in Basketball as well. They lose to Pius before the summer break and come back with 2 new "yr 10" players both over 6ft 6in who both happen to make ISA firsts. Same thing probably happens in rugby but not as obvious. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, please do.

I just thought I had to get those thoughts off my chest

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
"As for Augustines, I refuse to give them praise as they continue to give scholarships out whenever they are behind. Its disgraceful, this is seen in Basketball as well. They lose to Pius before the summer break and come back with 2 new "yr 10" players both over 6ft 6in who both happen to make ISA firsts. Same thing probably happens in rugby but not as obvious. "

are those "uformidabble????" players why you 6'5" friend chose to rip it up in St pats 3rd grade. Ipersonally pretend the Australian Tax office isn't there. how do you think I'll go?

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just a regular update
In regards to some updates last round:

Pius is led by Jake Tysoe in an impressive performance once again. He is a very formiddable player and adds a certain "spark" to the field. However the rest of the team is poor in the breakdowns and cant handle the tough demands of ISA 1st division. I foresee them being dropped resulting in a double round ISA first competition.

A big call predicting that Pius will be dropped from ISA 1st division.
That would go well on the new coach's CV :) (actually I'm not sure what's on the CV regards coaching).
I doubt, and predict that they will not be dropped because Pius will be competitive (and hopefully win) against several of the other 1st Division teams.

I have watched every Pius trial and agree about the #8. He has been impressive against Grammar and High, but not as dominant against Aloys and Pats.
In fact that is the case for the entire team.

Pius had cricket scores against weak teams like Grammar and High, and there weaknesses were evident against bigger, stronger and better skilled teams.
The #1 and #3 muscle up in the set piece and the #5 has improved each game, and playing more like a tight 5 player.
Their lack of size is evident and too many loose forwards making up the rest of the pack.

So many loose forwards doesn't show up when you have weak opposition, but against Pats, Aloys and heaven forbid the Auggies pack on Saturday they will be going backwards all day, and when going backwards the backline will be similarly, backpedalling.
The result will be a canning.

Pius are keen, enthusiastic, and confident (short memories remembering only a 66-0 win last week), but they are too small, and need some size in the pack.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
"As for Augustines, I refuse to give them praise as they continue to give scholarships out whenever they are behind. Its disgraceful, this is seen in Basketball as well. They lose to Pius before the summer break and come back with 2 new "yr 10" players both over 6ft 6in who both happen to make ISA firsts. Same thing probably happens in rugby but not as obvious. "

Scholarships - they are a necessary evil.
Tall poppy syndrome ??
Someone has to be king of the castle, and what I have seen the past 8-10 years watching my son play rugby, basketball, cricket and other team sports (and I point out - never in a dominant team) is that they play to win, and more importantly they play for the enjoyment (win, lose or draw).
I have no problem in scholarships, as hopefully the recipients will be the next Andrew Bogut, Michael Hooper, or David Warner that we cheer for.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why is it so ??

Draw for St Pius vs St Augustines on Saturday

1.00pm 2nd XV

2.00pm 13A's

3.15pm 1st XV

Doesn't that make a lot of sense - NOT
The bench - the players from the 2nd XV, will have cooled down or gone home.
Young kids (13As) should play in the morning, not in the marque slot. They will have their day to shine soon enough.

Also makes it a very long day for parents.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Scholarships - they are a necessary evil.
Tall poppy syndrome ??
Someone has to be king of the castle, and what I have seen the past 8-10 years watching my son play rugby, basketball, cricket and other team sports (and I point out - never in a dominant team) is that they play to win, and more importantly they play for the enjoyment (win, lose or draw).
I have no problem in scholarships, as hopefully the recipients will be the next Andrew Bogut, Michael Hooper, or David Warner that we cheer for.
I have to get better a giving credit where it is due I was quoting Dorothes MacKellar Slay2Play which explains th "" "" but I didn't name her
This is not the thread for that which should not be named
There are schools within the ISA divisions that have a very proud rugby history. I would be interested to see how relevant this association and those schools would have remained, in the face of the behaviour of the two older associations, without the heavy lifting and soiling off the Brookvale school.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Why is it so ??

Draw for St Pius vs St Augustines on Saturday

1.00pm 2nd XV

2.00pm 13A's

3.15pm 1st XV

Doesn't that make a lot of sense - NOT
The bench - the players from the 2nd XV, will have cooled down or gone home.
Young kids (13As) should play in the morning, not in the marque slot. They will have their day to shine soon enough.

Also makes it a very long day for parents.
I believe Pius 2nds are playing St Augustine's 3rds st Augustines 2nd XV have a buy.
I dont know if this helps answer the question

rugbydownsouth

Stan Wickham (3)
A big call predicting that Pius will be dropped from ISA 1st division.
That would go well on the new coach's CV :) (actually I'm not sure what's on the CV regards coaching).
I doubt, and predict that they will not be dropped because Pius will be competitive (and hopefully win) against several of the other 1st Division teams.

I have watched every Pius trial and agree about the #8. He has been impressive against Grammar and High, but not as dominant against Aloys and Pats.
In fact that is the case for the entire team.

Pius had cricket scores against weak teams like Grammar and High, and there weaknesses were evident against bigger, stronger and better skilled teams.
The #1 and #3 muscle up in the set piece and the #5 has improved each game, and playing more like a tight 5 player.
Their lack of size is evident and too many loose forwards making up the rest of the pack.

So many loose forwards doesn't show up when you have weak opposition, but against Pats, Aloys and heaven forbid the Auggies pack on Saturday they will be going backwards all day, and when going backwards the backline will be similarly, backpedalling.
The result will be a canning.

Pius are keen, enthusiastic, and confident (short memories remembering only a 66-0 win last week), but they are too small, and need some size in the pack.

Realistically I think the entirety of the Pius forward pack will struggle greatly throughout the ISA. Yes they've had success against the unformmidable line ups of Grammar and High. Having seen the games against both St Pats and Grammar the only bright spot for the forwards was Jake Tysoe. Against Grammar, the forwards were very unstructured but played what was in front of them, which was an athletics squad free Grammar team, who were less than impressive. Against St Pats, the forwards were very average and Jake Tysoe couldn't carry the burden as effectively against a better more aggressive pack than grammar. Against St Pius, the tight 5 were horrible at the set piece, with St Pats going right over the top of the Pius scrum on numerous occasions, and the lineouts was probably worse. I agree that the Pius pack is very small but the big men up front will really struggle as well as the loosies when they continue to play tougher opposition beyond St Pats.

The real positive for Pius is the improvements in the backline, however I don't think they will be competitive in the ISA. Ten best that could happen for Pius is an upset win, but in all honestly I don't think they will win a game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like the patience of many of the posters on this thread.

In some threads I browse, a GPS 1 2013 squad was posted by an aspiring selector back in December 2012.

There has been a bit of discussion about the possible release of the ISA I and ISA II team players to some schools with posters expressing concern that the list hasn't been released to all.

Why doesn't someone have a last at putting up an ISA I team?

The squad of 38 has already been announced, so a lot of guesswork has been taken out of the equation, unlike the possible GPS selections.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
I believe Pius 2nds are playing St Augustine's 3rds st Augustines 2nd XV have a buy.
I dont know if this helps answer the question
Yes you are correct
Pius 2nd XV vs Auggies 3rd XV but at 1pm, and then the 13As at 2pm
Ridiculous !!
Have the 13As at pm and then the two senior games.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Realistically I think the entirety of the Pius forward pack will struggle greatly throughout the ISA. Yes they've had success against the unformmidable line ups of Grammar and High. Having seen the games against both St Pats and Grammar the only bright spot for the forwards was Jake Tysoe. Against Grammar, the forwards were very unstructured but played what was in front of them, which was an athletics squad free Grammar team, who were less than impressive. Against St Pats, the forwards were very average and Jake Tysoe couldn't carry the burden as effectively against a better more aggressive pack than grammar. Against St Pius, the tight 5 were horrible at the set piece, with St Pats going right over the top of the Pius scrum on numerous occasions, and the lineouts was probably worse. I agree that the Pius pack is very small but the big men up front will really struggle as well as the loosies when they continue to play tougher opposition beyond St Pats.

The real positive for Pius is the improvements in the backline, however I don't think they will be competitive in the ISA. Ten best that could happen for Pius is an upset win, but in all honestly I don't think they will win a game.

Well let's see who's a better judge !!
I say a victory is on the cards, but agree about their ability to control a game.
The backline looks good with time and room to move, and if and when the ball does get out to the wingers they are very quick with speed to burn. Let's hope Pius get the ball out there.
Regards the Pius scrum going backwards against Pats - half right. The scrum isn't going back as a whole. If you watch, they have been going back one side more than another. That is more the fault of the lack of size in the second row and the flanker not doing their job. Also the front row are very tired because they are doing excessive work because their aren't 5 tight forwards (or better put their are one or two players carrying a number 1-5 that are not "pigging" like they should.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
A question to everyone about coaches. :confused:
Where do your coaches position themselves to watch their teams play ??
Are they on the sideline close to play and reserves ??
Are they in the grandstand along the sideline with a better view ??
Are they at the end of the field (under the goal posts) ??
Are they perched up on high somewhere to see everything ??
Where do you think coaches should be during the game and why ??

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
A question to everyone about coaches. :confused:
Where do your coaches position themselves to watch their teams play ??
Are they on the sideline close to play and reserves ??
Are they in the grandstand along the sideline with a better view ??
Are they at the end of the field (under the goal posts) ??
Are they perched up on high somewhere to see everything ??
Where do you think coaches should be during the game and why ??

If possible elevated and behind the posts.

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rat Park. The perfect venue for you lily.
We are in a school boy forum, and you're suggesting Rat Park.
Unfortunately that are very few options for coaches to sit or stand behind the posts.
Never seen it done in Wallaby matches, never seen it done at Super matches, never seen it done at Shute Shield, never seen it done at Sub District, so why in God's earth would they do it at school boy level - my guess is not to incur the wrath of spectators.
Solution - sit on the sideline (close to players that you are supposed to be helping, close to the reserves that you are supposed to be helping, and close to the action).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
St Auggies play at Rat Park. Appropriate for a Schoolboy forum, especially an ISA forum.

I have noticed several Shute Shield coaching teams, (and colts) positioning themselves in "my Grandstand" behind the posts of late.

Quite a few Schoolboy coaches are also seen behind the posts in "my Grandstand".

There are ways to communicate with the reserves from "my grandstand".

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anyone know the results of Waratah shield fixtures played fro round 1. I know SPC won and that Oakhill, Stannies and Auggies had the round off, bot have St Andrews and Kinross faired??

BillyBlack

Allen Oxlade (6)
St Auggies play at Rat Park. Appropriate for a Schoolboy forum, especially an ISA forum.

I have noticed several Shute Shield coaching teams, (and colts) positioning themselves in "my Grandstand" behind the posts of late.

Quite a few Schoolboy coaches are also seen behind the posts in "my Grandstand".

There are ways to communicate with the reserves from "my grandstand".
Apologise. Didn't know that Auggies home games were played at Rat Park.
So there may be method in the madness after all.
Although the traditionalist in me says that the sideline is the place.
Just haven't seen enough "quality" coaches doing it from the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.