• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tah123

Herbert Moran (7)
1st XV - St Pats 22 defeated Trinity 7.
#12 and #6 from both teams were impressive. I'd go as far as to say the #12 from St Pats was outstanding - great defence and damaging in attack. #6 from St Pats is quite young I believe and is not the biggest forward going around, but his ability to pilfer and clean out is impressive. #6 from Trinity looks like a born rugby player and is a tremendous leader (as captain) on the field. #12 Trinity very classy.
Any news on the "Pius/St Gregs" situation?

schoolboyinsider

Frank Row (1)
@Tah123

Couldn't agree more. #12, goes by the name of J. Zubak. Son of V. Zubak, also a great Inside in his day with a memorable left foot shimmy that often left opponents dazed. However this day belonged to the son, with #12 getting my vote for best on ground. He would shoot up at the fly-half and inside-centre many a time during the game and was very effective when he did so. Also strong running the ball. #6 played very well, good in defense and with the ball-in-hand. I also thought that Pats #8 was a brick wall in defense, with no-one able to barge down the large unit. #7 (Captain) had a solid game as always, a short man in stature but makes up for it with his aggression and courage. I saw that St Pats have two monster kicks in their team, with #15 and #10. I'll tell you what these kids surely know how to kick a ball! Very fortunate having two players who can roost the ball 60m from the in-goal when under immense pressure. Honorable mentions must go to the two young-pups #15 and #16, oh boy can these fellas play! #15 with fire in his step when running the ball, and #16 like a wombat in the opposition ruck, going in and many a time coming out with the ball! A great sight to see these juniors making an impact. However, as previously mentioned, all eyes were on #12, making metres, bagging himself a meat pie, and putting on one of the largest hits I've seen in my long career in schoolboy rugby, leaving the opposition player down for the count. Truly one not to got unwatched. Very excited with what is to come with this team throughout the season.

I agree with you on #6 and #12 from Trinity, but my picks of the day from Trinity were #13 and #14. These two wipper-snappers made numerous damaging runs and had great hands. Two players who will surely be looked closely at for CAS selections in 2016. I'd also have to say that a few 1stXV Trinity players could be on the chopping block next week, after some impressive players lined up for their 2nd XV that are banging on the door of the 1stXV.

Special mention to the wonderful St Patricks ladies in the canteen. After setting up my Anaconda arm-chair, I got myself a freshly wrapped ham and cheese sambo and a steak-pie to enjoy while watching the game. By the time I finished I was as full as a centipede's sock drawer.

schoolboyinsider's 3, 2, 1:

3 points: Of course #12 from Pats
2 points: #13 and #14 from Trinity
1 point: Canteen ladies for the best spread I've seen in 20 years
-1 point: It was disappointing to see one touchie come in field to disallow a try that had been awarded with the kicker already lining up for goal. It spread confusion throughout the crowd. I believe in schoolboy rugby, touchies should keep to the line, and keep the controversial calls to themselves.

toomanytries

Frank Row (1)
@Tah123

Couldn't agree more. #12, goes by the name of J. Zubak. Son of V. Zubak, also a great Inside in his day with a memorable left foot shimmy that often left opponents dazed. However this day belonged to the son, with #12 getting my vote for best on ground. He would shoot up at the fly-half and inside-centre many a time during the game and was very effective when he did so. Also strong running the ball. #7 played very well, good in defense and with the ball-in-hand. I also thought that Pats #8 was a brick wall in defense, with no-one able to barge down the large unit. #7 (Captain) had a solid game as always, a short man in stature but makes up for it with his aggression and courage. I saw that St Pats have two monster kicks in their team, with #15 and #10. I'll tell you what these kids surely know how to kick a ball! Very fortunate having two players who can roost the ball 60m from the in-goal when under immense pressure. Honorable mentions must go to the two young-pups #15 and #16, oh boy can these fellas play! #15 with fire in his step when running the ball, and #16 like a wombat in the opposition ruck, going in and many a time coming out with the ball! A great sight to see these juniors making an impact. However, as previously mentioned, all eyes were on #12, making metres, bagging himself a meat pie, and putting on one of the largest hits I've seen in my long career in schoolboy rugby, leaving the opposition player down for the count. Truly one not to got unwatched. Very excited with what is to come with this team throughout the season.

I agree with you on #6 and #12 from Trinity, but my picks of the day from Trinity were #13 and #14. These two wipper-snappers made numerous damaging runs and had great hands. Two players who will surely be looked closely at for CAS selections in 2016. I'd also have to say that a few 1stXV Trinity players could be on the chopping block next week, after some impressive players lined up for their 2nd XV that are banging on the door of the 1stXV.

Special mention to the wonderful St Patricks ladies in the canteen. After setting up my Anaconda arm-chair, I got myself and freshly wrapped ham and cheese sambo and a steak-pie to enjoy while watching the game. By the time I finished I was as full as a centipede's sock drawer.

schoolboyinsider's 3, 2, 1:

3 points: Of course #12 from Pats
2 points: #13 and #14 from Trinity
1 point: Canteen ladies for the best spread I've seen in 20 years
-1 point: It was disappointing to see one touchie come in field to disallow a try that had been awarded with the kicker already lining up for goal. It spread confusion throughout the crowd. I believe in schoolboy rugby, touchies should keep to the line, and keep the controversial calls to themselves.

Right call from linesman to disallow, many saw stomping from Pats player.
Good game, Trinity lacked finishing touch. Both #12 played very well. Black and Green always a good contest

Tractor

Bob McCowan (2)
I think it was the wrong call. The player in question was the St Pat's captain and no.7, a whole-hearted and very fair player. He was clearly trying to have the opposition player on the ground release the ball for his halfback to pick up. Should have been a penalty to Black in the first instance. Because the ref did nothing about it, the St Pats no.7 had to ruck the ball out.
BTW - if the right call was made re: stomping, why wasn't the player yellow carded for foul play ??? I understood that ALL foul play required the use of the sin bin....

toomanytries

Frank Row (1)
I think it was the wrong call. The player in question was the St Pat's captain and no.7, a whole-hearted and very fair player. He was clearly trying to have the opposition player on the ground release the ball for his halfback to pick up. Should have been a penalty to Black in the first instance. Because the ref did nothing about it, the St Pats no.7 had to ruck the ball out.
BTW - if the right call was made re: stomping, why wasn't the player yellow carded for foul play ??? I understood that ALL foul play required the use of the sin bin..

I agree with you and I'm not sure of the referee's justification although I do not think it is acceptable in any case to stomp.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The full 2016 ISA Div 1 draw is included here:

http://www.schoolsrugby.com.au/2016/news/sydney-schools-rugby-draws-2016/

Interesting to see that The Bye has been kicked out of ISA, and Pius and Gregs have combined as a single Competition entity.
I'm guessing Pius 1st XV will play School 1st XV, while Gregs 1st XV will play School 2nd XV, Pius 2nd XV v School 3rd XV, Gregs 2nd XV v School 4th XV (or vice versa) and so on through the age groups.

My information is that Pius played Gregs to sort this out.

Pius won 13,s 14s and 16s and will take the A slot in those age groups. Gregs to take the A slot in 15s and 1sts. I assume teams to alternate down through age groups.

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
Really looking forward to the weekend in Orange, SPC v's Kinross. The rugby, the pubs, the culture. Getting an early start on Friday afternoon.How have Kinross faired in their trial games this season.

thebosscollins

Frank Row (1)
Really looking forward to the weekend in Orange, SPC v's Kinross. The rugby, the pubs, the culture. Getting an early start on Friday afternoon.How have Kinross faired in their trial games this season.

Kinross played a trial round against The Armidale School last week in Coonabarabran. I believe they won all games. Not sure if they have had any other hit out's this season.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Information received from over the mountains indicates the following:

1sts Augustines 17 def Stannies 14

16As Augustines lucky to win with a try after the bell after Stannies led all match

15A win to Stannies by less than a try

14A win to Augustine's by a cricket scorre

Falsepiety

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know of the results over in Orange against St Pat's? Could've been a close game - the home field advantage and strength of Kinross against the flair and dexterity of Pats

thebosscollins

Frank Row (1)
Anyone know of the results over in Orange against St Pat's? Could've been a close game - the home field advantage and strength of Kinross against the flair and dexterity of Pats

SPC won 18-15. Absolutely fantastic game of rugby. Kinross were up 15-11 with 5 to go. Two very evenly matched teams.

Pats also won 2nds, 3rds and 4ths. A great day for the opens.

R

Runpasstackle

Information received from over the mountains indicates the following:

1sts Augustines 17 def Stannies 14

16As Augustines lucky to win with a try after the bell after Stannies led all match

15A win to Stannies by less than a try

14A win to Augustine's by a cricket scorre

What happen to the superstar 16s?? People out??

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Penalty count very high against 16A Auggies

Auggies 1st played last 5 minutes with only 12 on pitch due to 3 yellow cards.

Steve Driscol

Bob McCowan (2)
Stannies V Auggies
A strong game, Auggies were lucky to run away with it in the end. With two missed stannies penalties from infront of goal. Auggies lacked discipline giving away penalty after penalty. Luckily the Stannies lineout is weak as is their scrum in comparison. Being that stannies only won 2 lineouts after about 10 kicks into touch taking pressure off completely.
Defence was not bad as a whole, it was a average but not bad for a season opener.
I thought the stannies backline would've been stronger carried by Jack Veitch and also a 19yr old Josh Hardie I believe, as he finished year 12 last year, (correct me if I'm wrong but it looked just like him). Hopoate and Jack Ongasio smashed the weak backline and made 15m per run. Auggies aren't a team I can see anyone beating this year. If they can sought their discipline and general play problems out. They really are formidable however at the set piece.
Yellow cards were justified, and stannies cheering was creative once again to say the least. Lucky not to lose a player entirely I believe.
Cant wait for next week, always good to see Auggies beat pats at home!
And I believe Stannies put greys/pius in their place also.
Ye

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Penalty count very high against 16A Auggies

Auggies 1st played last 5 minutes with only 12 on pitch due to 3 yellow cards.

But apparently their winning try came from a knock-on (missed by the ref).

Were the yellow cards in 16As or 1sts?

Status
Not open for further replies.