• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Italy v Australia, Sunday Nov 10 2013, Stadio Olimpico

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
My team

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Fardy (he better be ok, Douglas if not)
6. Mowen
7. Hooper
8. McCalman
9. White
10-15. No change

16. TPN
17. Slipper
18. Ryan
19. Horwill (on the pine for the rest of the tour)
20. Gill
21. Genia
22. Lilo
23. Foley

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Robinson
Moore
Slipper
Timani
Horwill
Fardy
Gill
Mowen
Genia
Cooper
Tomane
To'omua
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau

There is not much scope for improvement in the forward pack given the squad. Shuffling deck chairs.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Gill
8. Mowen
9. White
10-15 no change

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd pick:

Robinson
Fainga'a
Kepu
Simmons
Douglas
Mowen
Gill
McCalman
White
10-15 no change

TPN, Ryan, Slipper, Horwill, Dennis, Phipps, Foley, Leali'ifano

Hooper was one of our better forwards but Gill has to get a start on this tour and there's no reason it shouldn't be the Italy game.

I'm giving Fardy the week off after getting knocked out. With everyone on tour needing to get some game time, there's no reason why he should be backing up next week after getting knocked out cold and stretchered off.

Moore was easily the best of our tight five, but it's time to give him a rest. Fainga'a has been playing well and deserves a start.

I was tempted to start Phipps. White was barely better than Genia when he came on and Genia was the worst player on the park from either side.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What I'd like to see?

Bench every forward after that performance -- and Mowen would only escape because we can't just change the captaincy again. Moore and Hooper were okay, but both need a rest anyway.

Drop Genia altogether.

What I think we'll see?

The same team, with Simmons in for Timani and McCalman for Fardy.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Genia not performing. Backline is otherwise OK. No way Fardy will be able to play. Gill needs a start. Want to give Foley one too. Need best props on the pitch.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. McCalman
9. White
10. Cooper
11. Honey-Badger
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Folau
15. Foley

16. Fa'ainga
17. Slipper
18. Ryan
19. TImani
20. Hooper
21. Phipps
22. Lilo
23. Kurdrani

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Not sure that dropping Kuridrani is the way to go. He is on the up and every chance he has now will hopefully bring big benefits in the next couple of years. The same applies to Folau at 15. Unfortunately that means less chances for Foley but he is rightfully behind the others and if Beale returns well he may not be there in the future.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
After last nights performance, I wouldn't even have Timani running the water or looking after the mascot, let alone riding the pine preventing another player getting a possible test cap.

While he didn't really go missing like some other piggies do, what he did was ineffectual.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I still don't understand how or why people would select Timani, the guy is a passenger most of the game. He can put on a big hit, but carrying he doesn't use his weight, and he slipped or missed more tackles than he made from my viewing. Useless in the lineout as well. Make him get the bread and butter of his position (lineout, rucks) at provincial level before letting him go close to the national team again.

With Simmons out, I'd start Douglas with Horwill. Fardy is likely out, so that means Mowen at 6, McCalman at 8. I'd be tempted to give Hooper a rest and put Gill at 7 with Hooper on the bench. Sadly, this means that Timani makes the bench, unless you want to carry Dennis as the spare lock.

I'd also rotate the props, at the very least start Kepu over Alexander, but also Robinson over Slipper.

I'd like to drop Genia, but I'd pick Phipps if that were the case. White just kicks too much. The only other change in the backline I'd make is Tomane for Cummins.

One thing: too much aimless kicking. Folau and To'omua had good games otherwise, but they kicked too much and too often let them English return with interest. Genia falls in here too, but his game otherwise was pretty poor.

Why did we revert to a Deans style kick everything for the English game after doing it differently in the RC? I would hate to see that sort of aimless play for the Italy game.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'll have a go at picking a side, and I'm also assuming that Simmons and Fardy are not available.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Douglas (Fardy if fit)
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Gill
8. McCalman
9. White
10. QC (Quade Cooper)
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
11. Cummins
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16. Fainga'a
17. Ryan
18. Slipper
19. Dennis
20. Hooper
21. Foley
22. Lilo
23. Phipps

Game plan changes are fundamental.

1. The Wallabies will commit to the ruck with more than just the tackler and assistant tackler or the first arriving supporter of the ball carrier. Hence the selection of Gill. IMO Hooper has been selected precisely because the Wallabies are avoiding the breakdown.
2. The halfback will pass the ball with pace from the ground. No half step shuffle across field before hand. I have no problem with running the ball or the odd kick (as long as Genia doesn't do it.) However running and kicking from the ruck base by the 9 is to be the exception and not the rule. The 9 will be the 2nd or at latest the 3rd arriving player to each breakdown.
3. The Wallaby forwards must show far more effort, application and aggression. If players walk or faux jog away from set pieces it will be marked and those players not selected again, until they show consistency of application in these areas at Super level. If that means topped up players do not get selected so be it. I honestly believe that should a complete team of rookies be sent out they would not play as badly as the rubbish that was served up last night or in every game this year bar Arg. and aspects of Bled3.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
........I'd like to drop Genia, but I'd pick Phipps if that were the case. White just kicks too much. The only other change in the backline I'd make is Tomane for Cummins.

One thing: too much aimless kicking. Folau and To'omua had good games otherwise, but they kicked too much and too often let them English return with interest. Genia falls in here too, but his game otherwise was pretty poor.

Why did we revert to a Deans style kick everything for the English game after doing it differently in the RC? I would hate to see that sort of aimless play for the Italy game.
Every back except Kuiridriani kicked at least twice last night.
Too many cooks?

hughbert

Herbert Moran (7)
You're on the some pretty good gear if you think we should drop Kuridriani. He's fast turning into an absolute stud centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.