• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Italy v Australia, Sunday Nov 10 2013, Stadio Olimpico

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's the right instruction. The execution is what was wrong sadly.
Disagree,they were just kicking it in a vaguely downfield direction.
Kicking for territory only works if it goes out.
Contest able kicks actually requires us to provide a contestant.
Having every fucker in the backline just lashing at the ball is not a plan,or at least it's not a plan that will win many games in any grade.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If you have any credit with your god / deity / spiritual ancestors, use it now.

Its Glen Jackson. The only thing that might work is if the IRB tell him he'll never get selected again if he's as bad as George Clancy. Even then its not a guarantee. All we do know is that the ruck will be anything goes. Since we do not compete at the ruck, Italy is the only team likely to get any advantage at all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Its Glen Jackson. The only thing that might work is if the IRB tell him he'll never get selected again if he's as bad as George Clancy. Even then its not a guarantee. All we do know is that the ruck will be anything goes. Since we do not compete at the ruck, Italy is the only team likely to get any advantage at all.
But the IRB consider Clancy to be one of their top 9 elite referees :confused: and therefore a potential RWC 15 final referee. (Only the IRB could have a top 9) Jackson obviously has a patron (Paddy O'Brien) as his Super performances have varied between barely competent and woeful. He goes ok in one sided matches where there's no pressure and he can be a spectator with a whistle, but when the players put the heat on him in a pressure match he's hopeless and yet he is appointed to a Tier 1 test match. Talk about bizarro world:eek:.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Disagree,they were just kicking it in a vaguely downfield direction.
Kicking for territory only works if it goes out.
Contest able kicks actually requires us to provide a contestant.
Having every fucker in the backline just lashing at the ball is not a plan,or at least it's not a plan that will win many games in any grade.
The "plan" seemed to be to hope the opposition dropped it:confused:

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)

What the hell happened to this? We can talk about how we 'don't have the cattle' but at the end of the day, these boys have shown they can walk over the best scrummaging nations in the world with consummate ease.

This video reinforces, for me anyway, that the blokes taking care of defence and the forwards are simply not good enough to do their job. Dwyer has made the comment in his article about getting more from the same people. These guys have all shown they CAN do the job, but they aren't at the moment and for me that comes down to coaching technique.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)

What the hell happened to this? We can talk about how we 'don't have the cattle' but at the end of the day, these boys have shown they can walk over the best scrummaging nations in the world with consummate ease.

This video reinforces, for me anyway, that the blokes taking care of defence and the forwards are simply not good enough to do their job. Dwyer has made the comment in his article about getting more from the same people. These guys have all shown they CAN do the job, but they aren't at the moment and for me that comes down to coaching technique.

Well the first thing that struck me was the shove from the backrow and virtually no meerkating

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)

What the hell happened to this? .

is it just me or do 1-8 all look bigger, stronger and fitter in that vid compared to now? And god damn it is depressing watching that compared to the shite they're serving up these days.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
All the comments we're making are to do with technique. This is stuff that the assistant coach should be identifying and noting at trainings. And if the players do it in the game then they get crucified, instead we're seeing the same shit every game, no improvement. Same crap happened under Deans during the Lions tour, its not the head coach at fault in that situation, there needs to be accountability for what is evidently substandard coaching from scrivener and blades.

I suspect the only reason they havent been moved on is because they would call for huge remuneration packets and the ARU are too shortsighted to be willing to cough up.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think our scrum is infinitely better than what it was at the start of the RC. We couldn't win a scrum of our own, let alone hold off one of the oppositions. Our 2nd row was setting up on their feet with their butt in the air and all sorts of shite.

It is still shite, but is improving a lot. The setup is at least a better looking animal now than what it was, and how hookers seem to now know how to hook for their own ball at least.

(and to be honest - that video shows quite a few penalties awarded that would just be awarded the opposite way based on perception alone)

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I think our scrum is infinitely better than what it was at the start of the RC. We couldn't win a scrum of our own, let alone hold off one of the oppositions. Our 2nd row was setting up on their feet with their butt in the air and all sorts of shite.

It is still shite, but is improving a lot. The setup is at least a better looking animal now than what it was, and how hookers seem to now know how to hook for their own ball at least.

(and to be honest - that video shows quite a few penalties awarded that would just be awarded the opposite way based on perception alone)

I agree but it shouldn't have taken this long for them to be "satisfactory".

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
A few thoughts.

- Against SA in the video Robinson is against a makeshift prop in Jon Smit.

- Secondly, the way we are now scrummaging is very passive compared to the video above. I'm not sure whether its due to the loss of the engagement but our back 5 seem to just keep their feet on the deck after the hit call waiting for the ball to leave the scrum. There was a few scrums against England where the 8 held the ball and the back and the England back 5 dug in and simply outworked us transferring weight to their props.

- In those scrums above Baxter & Alexander are doing a great job at keeping the pressure on the opposition LHPs neck. Recently Alexander has been caught standing up, that's the result of scrummaging heading into the hooker and not doing what his done above.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Not sure that dropping Kuridrani is the way to go. He is on the up and every chance he has now will hopefully bring big benefits in the next couple of years. The same applies to Folau at 15. Unfortunately that means less chances for Foley but he is rightfully behind the others and if Beale returns well he may not be there in the future.

Foley could easily find his own place. If the current team isn't good enough then we mustn't hesitate to make replacements.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
After the last game coming and off good Performance against the AB's

Wallabies to Struggle,

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Why do we not employ some AFL blokes to run kicking clinics for our designated kickers?

Due to the lack of time the Wallaby coaches get with the players, shouldn't we be pushing the ARU to have more involvement/pressure on the Super Clubs to bring this type of training in? I imagine by adopting this approach, you'll help facilitate all players developing these skills ie the Nick Frisby's, the Matt Lucas's as well as our "top" players such as Genia, White, Cooper etc.

The NZRU seem to have an influence on the direction the super clubs go towards, but I can't imagine our super teams taking too kindly to being told what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.