• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Italy vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rothschild

from my source Slipper akso topped the tackle count so by any measure he had a very good game for his debut run on.
By the way FC got penalised in Slippers absence when he was blood binned with a brokennose, I would say that Slipper is our new No1 prop for the time being. FC is bleeding too many penalties and doesn't come close to Slippers work rate around the paddock.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
from my source Slipper akso topped the tackle count so by any measure he had a very good game for his debut run on.
By the way FC got penalised in Slippers absence when he was blood binned with a brokennose, I would say that Slipper is our new No1 prop for the time being. FC is bleeding too many penalties and doesn't come close to Slippers work rate around the paddock.

I wouldn't write Fat Cat off so quickly. Only just this time last year most of us were calling him the best LH in the world. He's had a major injury this year, I'll back him to regain his top form next year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I wouldn't write Fat Cat off so quickly. Only just this time last year most of us were calling him the best LH in the world. He's had a major injury this year, I'll back him to regain his top form next year.

No one is writing him off. This time last year we were talking about him as possibly our only World XV player.

It is just that Slipper is clearly better at the moment. If Slipper keeps improving and Robinson gets his old form back we could have a couple of cracking props going for the same spot next year.

T

TheTruth

No one is writing him off. This time last year we were talking about him as possibly our only World XV player.

It is just that Slipper is clearly better at the moment. If Slipper keeps improving and Robinson gets his old form back we could have a couple of cracking props going for the same spot next year.

Agree Scotty.
It nearly seems that youth talent and enthusiasm is slippper (not that Fatcat is old) and FC seems demotivated (it was a broken bone - he has been back for long enough) hear Slipper topped tackle count , 2 more than Pocock (15) both with no misses. having said that FC just needs to be fitter (for some reason) to regain his world class spot. The question is that when FC gets back to his best then we'll have 2 top LHP's - maybe Slipper should also being "blooded" at THP - gives the Wallabies a lot more options then.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I'm hoping that Link will use Slipper at TH, which is highly likely with Daley available for LH.

The reds just need to find a decent set piece hooker and they would have a very strong pack.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
With Slipper at LH we can go for a pure scrummager at TH, and TH lock.

Robbo on the bench with Slipper to slip across if BA comes off.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I wonder if the Daley/Fainga'a/Slipper tripod and scrum will look better under Link than Deans/Noriega. Maybe coaching can make a difference - though the nihilist in me struggles to explain how......

T

TheTruth

I wonder if the Daley/Fainga'a/Slipper tripod and scrum will look better under Link than Deans/Noriega. Maybe coaching can make a difference - though the nihilist in me struggles to explain how......

What about Greg Holmes and Shep - put them into the mix and becomes very interesting

T

TheTruth

With Slipper at LH we can go for a pure scrummager at TH, and TH lock.

Robbo on the bench with Slipper to slip across if BA comes off.

Scarfman,
who would be the best pure scrummager at THP and TH Lock - maybe Weekes at THP

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think they may get a shed load of pressure put on the LH side if Daley starts.

R

Rothschild

Im not up to date on this one but what about Blake - isn't he returning as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think they may get a shed load of pressure put on the LH side if Daley starts.

Daley did well against the Bulls and Stormers, although they probably didn't target the scrum that much.

Daley/Finger/Slipper combo is definately for an up tempo game plan though. Much more mobile than most other S15 front rows, which will allow the Reds to play more on the fringes and wider. Add to that the speed of Higginbotham and one of Gill or Schatz at openside with Simmons and Horwill at lock, it is a quick pack.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SMH Rugby "Journalism"?

From the comments to todays story on Rugby Heaven by Meat Pies Growden.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/barnes-boots-wallabies-back-onto-winners-list-20101121-1824e.html
Geez.

Greg Growden, you remind me of Peter Roebuck. Very good at telling us tomorrow, what happened yesterday. I don't think you have an original or useful insight into where the Wallabies are headed. You seem to just write about the Wallabies's current flaws. You have not an optimistic bone in your body

Rest assured at least one genuine & dedicated rugby watcher can see your column is coloured by your personal & unexplainable vendetta.

Any chance the Guardian or Independent need an anti-Wallaby scribe?

Cammie Chow | Surrey, UK - November 21, 2010, 7:20AM

Kinda sums it up doesn't it? Thanks Cammie.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

By the time Slipper is 25 he will be the best in the world. He will be able to drive in at 45 degrees and win penalties on reputation alone

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
From the comments to todays story on Rugby Heaven by Meat Pies Growden.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/barnes-boots-wallabies-back-onto-winners-list-20101121-1824e.html

Kinda sums it up doesn't it? Thanks Cammie.

Why bother reading Growden? Or the comments? I've bookmarked RugbyHeaven in my internet browser but I rarely visit it, and usually just to scan through the headlines to see if there's anything worth taking a cursory glance at.

Meanwhile, over at Scrum.com, Gordon Bray is making some good articles like this one. He makes a good point in this one that the Wallabies took better options than in Scotland; instead of running useless backline moves with no result, they sensibly took the points and field position. And he's right, the scrum was quite strong, and not just by "Australian Standards".

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ta for that Konze. Bray nails it here:

Italy had to slow the tempo and they did it via an injury parade just before scrums were due to be set. As an Italian player received attention, his forwards regrouped in a huddle for the next eight man assault on the young Slipper. Assisted by his awesome reputation as a powerhouse scrum technician, Castrogiovanni won over the referee's mind and as a result, a spate of penalties against Slipper for taking the scrum down, altered the course of the match.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Meanwhile, over at Scrum.com, Gordon Bray is making some good articles like this one. He makes a good point in this one that the Wallabies took better options than in Scotland; instead of running useless backline moves with no result, they sensibly took the points and field position. And he's right, the scrum was quite strong, and not just by "Australian Standards".

Konze usually writes quite judicious comments and I have always liked Gordon Bray, although I would not consider him an authority on the scrum, so I went to the link with considerable interest. Here are Gordon's comments on the scrum contest:

"The pivotal moment of Australia's match against Italy in Florence loomed squarely on the shoulders of rookie prop James Slipper. Under the referee's nose, would he hold firm or buckle against scrum behemoth Martin Castrogiovanni?

"In the sixth minute of the second half, Australian rugby fans held their collective breath. Another scrum penalty could help reduce Italy's deficit to one point. Would this be a re-run of the horror show against Scotland twelve months earlier? No sir. Penalty Australia! The Italian strongman eventually forced to 'bore in' as Slipper and his seven scrum pals withstood the eight man shove as though their lives were on the line.

"Italy had to slow the tempo and they did it via an injury parade just before scrums were due to be set. As an Italian player received attention, his forwards regrouped in a huddle for the next eight man assault on the young Slipper. Assisted by his awesome reputation as a powerhouse scrum technician, Castrogiovanni won over the referee's mind and as a result, a spate of penalties against Slipper for taking the scrum down, altered the course of the match.

"This alleged practice only transpired on Italy's feed because they wanted to engage the Australian scrum in a prolonged wrestle. Curiously, there was no such collapse on the Wallaby scrum feed which was more solid than at any stage on tour."

Obviously watching games after midnight is becoming a problem for me as I wake up with an entirely different perspective on games than other people. Gordon tells us that in the first scrum of the second half "The Italian strongman [was] eventually forced to 'bore in' as Slipper and his seven scrum pals withstood the eight man shove." Eventually? My perception was that was what he had been doing all through the first half, which was when we TV viewers got to see the contest between Castrogiovanni and Slipper. Our man didn't seem to have a clue as to what to do about it.

Gordon makes no mention whatever of the number of times the Italians walked our scrum backwards, seemingly at will. It is true that there were a few scrums where we managed to hold our ground, but there can't have been many once you subtract from the total number the scrums where Castrogiovanni split our loose head and hooker asunder and those where we roller skated backwards.

I can't remember the last time I disagreed with The Konze but his comment that "the scrum was quite strong, and not just by 'Australian Standards'" suggests that it is time I had my medication reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.