• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Italy vs Wallabies, EOYT 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
One technique is to grow your hair long, never wash it and breed lice, mushrooms and fleas in it. Unfortunately Martin Castrogiovanni beat Slipper to it.

T

trophyhunter

Oh come on guys.... our scrum wasn't that bad, it only sucked ass in about 90% of the scrums this week. Better than being crap 100% of the time. Lets be positive.

I am not a front rower, and I could see there was props playing funny buggers.

Maybe Kearnsy should be be an advisor to pato, He was commentating, and He was outlinging some of the tricks being played. He could see it, surely more people should have.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
As someone who has never played in the front row, out of interest, how does one combat their opposition prop from boring in?

I would have thought that the first essential for the loose head is to have a tight bind with his hooker with heads close together, and fight to maintain that. That may mean that you also fold in with the result that it is unclear who is boring in but it largely negates the benefit of what the opposition tight head is trying to achieve.

The worst possible situation is for the bind between the loose head and his hooker to be effectively ruptured, which is what appeared to be happening in this game.

A strong and experienced loose head can get across the gap quickly and forcefully enough to fully engage his opponent's outside shoulder so that the attempted boring in is negated. Rather than driving in on the hooker the tight head's arse swings out, de-powering his own scrum.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oh come on guys.... our scrum wasn't that bad, it only sucked ass in about 90% of the scrums this week. Better than being crap 100% of the time. Lets be positive.

I am not a front rower, and I could see there was props playing funny buggers.

Maybe Kearnsy should be be an advisor to pato, He was commentating, and He was outlinging some of the tricks being played. He could see it, surely more people should have.

Good call, TH. However, I think it was Canno rather than Kearnsy commenting on the scrums. If not, it was the first time I have heard Kearnsy say anything useful about scrummaging. What we normally get is his side-splittingly amusing and endlessly repetitive line about "the 100 Greatest Scrums".

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Bruce,

I am no expert, but I didn't see the bind between slipper and moore getting ruptured. Yes Slipper would have learnt a lesson from what happened, but I also suspect that the referee did as well. It appeared that not only was Castro 'boring in' but he was also at the same time dropping his outside shoulder, causing slipper to well, slip off.

The thing that was particularly obvious, and most definately should have been picked up by the ref was that castro was lining up at moore even prior to engagement. Moore and slipper should have backed off and told the ref, but surely in refereeing 101 he should have learnt to check that both front rows were at least setting up square?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Has anyone got a clip of that tackle by QC (Quade Cooper) on Castrogiovanni (I think) in the open? Congrats on the commitment level, but wow, that technique looked like a recipe for having your head driven into the turf by 120kg of prop.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am pretty sure that QC (Quade Cooper) tackled Parisse in the open. Not sure if it is the same one you are talking about. Parisse didn't try and go over him though, just passed in the tackle.

T

TheTruth

Bruce,

I am no expert, but I didn't see the bind between slipper and moore getting ruptured. Yes Slipper would have learnt a lesson from what happened, but I also suspect that the referee did as well. It appeared that not only was Castro 'boring in' but he was also at the same time dropping his outside shoulder, causing slipper to well, slip off.

The thing that was particularly obvious, and most definately should have been picked up by the ref was that castro was lining up at moore even prior to engagement. Moore and slipper should have backed off and told the ref, but surely in refereeing 101 he should have learnt to check that both front rows were at least setting up square?

yeah, didn't look straight to me either

T

TOCC

As someone who has never played in the front row, out of interest, how does one combat their opposition prop from boring in?

There are a few different techniques, however most commonly as the loose head you want to be lower then the THP, you beat him to the hit and try and push your head up into his sternum and keep your right shoulder locked tight against his neck, it locks him in a uncomfortable position and prevents him from boring in.. From there you want to either bore in yourself or get even lower and aim for the LHP stomach and drive forward/up, technically this is called 'popping' another prop and is illegal, but rarely gets penalized. From there the opposition prop is practically standing up and you can drive forward and watch the scrum buckle..

However the battle is won and lost in the first 1sec of engagement, if you get a good hit and have your head and neck in the right position, then unless the other prop is far physically superior, you will win the scrum.. It is also why so many scrims go down in the first few seconds, props realize they missed the hit and want another go, Australia employed this technique extensively in the 2003RWC.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Shouldn't Slipper have poked him in the eye and told him that he'd knock his fuckin' block off the next time he did that?

Steve Finanne would have....

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I guess we all make mistakes. Did you notice the photo accompanying John Eales' article in the SMH today.

The caption read: "Australia's Rob Simmons tussles with Italy's Luciano Orquera in Florence. Photo: AFP"

Photo is of Simmons jumping in the lineout v the Italians. It's the first time I've seen a No 10 being lifted in a lineout?

What they meant to say was Quintin Geldenhuys.

Status
Not open for further replies.