• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
By all accounts they get awesome crowds in Moscow for Rugby games. The money is probably not quite as good as that in the South of France, but I'd reckon that Russia wouldn't have too much time for egos.

Either there or Georgia. Those boys in the Georgian team at RWC were not very pretty.

Good place to get inculcated with some humility and respect for the game.

What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

Send him to russia where nobody would fucken notice.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I liked JOC (James O'Connor)'s quote:

James O'Connor said:
"Everything I've done has been aired out in public and that's been tough, but I'm the first one to say I've stuffed up,"

I'm going to put it out there that he isn't. I'm betting pretty much everyone beat him to that punch.

Well, I guess technically he's correct. Everyone else has said you've stuffed up.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Did anyone read the story? It sounds as though he is pretty much going to the force. He will be back playing in the first test next year. No doubt

Could happen, but I'm not so sure. It reads to me that the Force are really not interested in signing him up just yet. If he takes a break (how long - 12 months?) and shows he is willing to get involved in the rugby community through the Force, they will consider re-opening negotiations. Doesn't sound to me that there is much chance of him playing Super rugby next year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Maybe it is my tin foil hat working, but I think along Brumby Runners lines.

The Force are saying IF he decides to behave, THEN they are OPEN to the PROSPECT of continuing discussions.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Could happen, but I'm not so sure. It reads to me that the Force are really not interested in signing him up just yet. If he takes a break (how long - 12 months?) and shows he is willing to get involved in the rugby community through the Force, they will consider re-opening negotiations. Doesn't sound to me that there is much chance of him playing Super rugby next year.
There's never been an issue with JOC (James O'Connor) getting involved with the rugby community.
He drinks with em, fights with em, has happy photos with em, argues with em, goes out all night with em.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Force CEO has been interview today and has basicaly said they Force want him if he is willing to adopt the club culture and rules.

Its simple if JOC (James O'Connor) wants to by in the Force will sign him up. Sinders said he expects an answer in the next month.

Balls in James court.

G

Gekko

Well, better late than never I guess. To be fair to all G&GR's I have never been a fan of this PR machine that parades as a rugby player, want to be upfront about that. Consider it my disclaimer.

As I have always said, the ARU should have turfed him in 2011 when he missed the RWC team announcement for their sponsor. Alarm bells should have rung at the ARU but why be surprised, the ARU is more clueless than the Labor party, maybe they were twins separated at birth!

And for all you deluded fans of JOC (James O'Connor) who say what a waste of talent and the like I say please, wake up to yourselves. The only things he is a waste of is space, time, money and hair gel. Blimey, my subbie team mates at the mighty Blakehurst in 1987 had more talent under their fingernails, and that's just the forwards.

The week before the Lion's series we had two rugby greats, and one mungo, all singing the praises of the homebrand(borrowing that one off a G&GR) in The Courier Mail. Being a rugby legend & megastar I knew these 3 Stooges were completely wrong. And my brother, who hasn't played since he was 15 but is a great coach, fully concurred.

Now that the dust has settled I would like to know, as would many others, how the machinations of the Wannabe's works because the hair gel'ed should never have gotten the 10 in the first place. I mean we all know the boy band front man has dibs on himself and always wanted to play there, but does he pulls so much weight that he talked his way in? Seriously, kicking goals in vitamin ads and catching a ball below the knee & falling over the tryline does not make a great player.

Anyone with some rugby talent can see that not only does the homebrand hair gel not know how to read a game(usually not being where he should be) but sometimes he looks like he's completely lost. And don't get me started on his defence which borders on atrocious.

Mr O'Connor may be a great athlete, nobody seems to deny this, but I'll take the football brain with less speed & athleticism any day. Instead of paying so much attention to stats & charts and Lord knows what other rubbish these professional coaches look at these days, maybe they should take more interest in IQ tests, school grades, and a players desire to seek higher learning while playing so they can plan for their future after rugby.

Even though I dislike the man I will offer some advice, free of charge, and to be frank, all Wallabies should pay attention to this one. A good Super 15 coach came up with this idea, in fact I think he may have coached hair gel, his name was John Mitchell. He was all about creative rugby, but because we all have to play to a book of plans an inch thick in Australia these days, he got the flick.

Mitchell proposed that players go play provincial rugby in NZ, and I think it's a brilliant idea. Mind you, with our status in world rugby slumping faster than homebrand's income, they probably wouldn't want Aussie players.

But, Mr O'Connor(and the rest of you Wannabe's) if you truly care about rugby, and being the best, then prove it. Go and live in freezing bloody NZ, offer your services for free, make hard sacrifices(eg maybe leave your girlfriend in Australia), HTFU, come back, and prove me wrong!

Sent from my iPad

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Does such a place exist. Me thinks France is the type of place has enjoys a good ego.

A stint at somewhere like Biarritz would be really good for him.They're one French team that I really admire for their rugby culture. They're Basques so not the typical French attitude. His ego wouldn't be tolerated in what is a very close squad and a club that is embedded in it's community. They're the closest thing to Munster in the rest of Europe.

Just don't expect him to be playing too much free flowing attacking Rugby as Biarritz is a club where forward play is worshiped to the high heavens.

Although it's more likely that teams like Toulon would splash the cash on someone like JOC (James O'Connor). In that case he'd be allowed his ego but he'd have to spend about every 2nd game polishing it in the stands due to squad rotation.

Would love to see him stick it out with the Force, take his medicine and really change his ways.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well, better late than never I guess. To be fair to all G&GR's I have never been a fan of this PR machine that parades as a rugby player, want to be upfront about that. Consider it my disclaimer.

As I have always said, the ARU should have turfed him in 2011 when he missed the RWC team announcement for their sponsor. Alarm bells should have rung at the ARU but why be surprised, the ARU is more clueless than the Labor party, maybe they were twins separated at birth!

And for all you deluded fans of JOC (James O'Connor) who say what a waste of talent and the like I say please, wake up to yourselves. The only things he is a waste of is space, time, money and hair gel. Blimey, my subbie team mates at the mighty Blakehurst in 1987 had more talent under their fingernails, and that's just the forwards.

The week before the Lion's series we had two rugby greats, and one mungo, all singing the praises of the homebrand(borrowing that one off a G&GR) in The Courier Mail. Being a rugby legend & megastar I knew these 3 Stooges were completely wrong. And my brother, who hasn't played since he was 15 but is a great coach, fully concurred.

Now that the dust has settled I would like to know, as would many others, how the machinations of the Wannabe's works because the hair gel'ed should never have gotten the 10 in the first place. I mean we all know the boy band front man has dibs on himself and always wanted to play there, but does he pulls so much weight that he talked his way in? Seriously, kicking goals in vitamin ads and catching a ball below the knee & falling over the tryline does not make a great player.

Anyone with some rugby talent can see that not only does the homebrand hair gel not know how to read a game(usually not being where he should be) but sometimes he looks like he's completely lost. And don't get me started on his defence which borders on atrocious.

Mr O'Connor may be a great athlete, nobody seems to deny this, but I'll take the football brain with less speed & athleticism any day. Instead of paying so much attention to stats & charts and Lord knows what other rubbish these professional coaches look at these days, maybe they should take more interest in IQ tests, school grades, and a players desire to seek higher learning while playing so they can plan for their future after rugby.

Even though I dislike the man I will offer some advice, free of charge, and to be frank, all Wallabies should pay attention to this one. A good Super 15 coach came up with this idea, in fact I think he may have coached hair gel, his name was John Mitchell. He was all about creative rugby, but because we all have to play to a book of plans an inch thick in Australia these days, he got the flick.

Mitchell proposed that players go play provincial rugby in NZ, and I think it's a brilliant idea. Mind you, with our status in world rugby slumping faster than homebrand's income, they probably wouldn't want Aussie players.

But, Mr O'Connor(and the rest of you Wannabe's) if you truly care about rugby, and being the best, then prove it. Go and live in freezing bloody NZ, offer your services for free, make hard sacrifices(eg maybe leave your girlfriend in Australia), HTFU, come back, and prove me wrong!

Sent from my iPad
Gekko at it again with his third absurd rant.

Jaimie

Frank Row (1)
How come the ARU did not wake up to the previous brain fart moments he and the fellow brat pack members had?

Where does the responsibility stop from there point of view?

Yes he is his own person but could it have been avoided?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
How come the ARU did not wake up to the previous brain fart moments he and the fellow brat pack members had?

Where does the responsibility stop from there point of view?

Yes he is his own person but could it have been avoided?

Rugby Unions the world over deal with difficult personalities who get in trouble off the field.

It is a catch-22 because whilst these players cause problems they are also good players that all other things excluded are good enough to play for their country.

The ARU could have made the incredibly harsh decision to never contract or select JOC (James O'Connor) again after he overslept for the Wallabies 2011 RWC launch but they didn't. They would have also been turning their back on their most marketable player.

People act as if these decisions are simple or obvious but the reality is far from that.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
A stint at somewhere like Biarritz would be really good for him.They're one French team that I really admire for their rugby culture.

Didn't a Hooker of theirs just get suspended for 20 weeks for abusing an official? Sounds like JOC (James O'Connor) will fit in nicely.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Rugby Unions the world over deal with difficult personalities who get in trouble off the field.

It is a catch-22 because whilst these players cause problems they are also good players that all other things excluded are good enough to play for their country.

The ARU could have made the incredibly harsh decision to never contract or select JOC (James O'Connor) again after he overslept for the Wallabies 2011 RWC launch but they didn't. They would have also been turning their back on their most marketable player.

People act as if these decisions are simple or obvious but the reality is far from that.
Absolutely nothing is black or white.
But the ARU was remiss in taking little or no action for years.Had they taken a hard line with QC (Quade Cooper),the very first time he offended, (because he was the first to be naughty)they would have set a standard.
Instead, the message they sent to the brat packers was that if you are important to us we will lash you with a feather.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
From everything I have read it sounds as though the force are getting an offer together or have already done so. It is probably a massive pay cut compared to his last super rugby contract. It's up to James. If he is being honest in the papers he will be playing for the force next year and with his talent as long as he is a good lad he will be playing for the wallabies next year.

It's all up to him....... No one else.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
From everything I have read it sounds as though the force are getting an offer together or have already done so. It is probably a massive pay cut compared to his last super rugby contract. It's up to James. If he is being honest in the papers he will be playing for the force next year and with his talent as long as he is a good lad he will be playing for the wallabies next year.

It's all up to him... No one else.
You underestimate the influence of 'others' in his life like managers.
The manager often looks at at it this way for himself;
6% of say $300K = $18K for me if he signs with the Force OR
10% of say $500K = $50K for me if he signs with a top French club.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You underestimate the influence of 'others' in his life like managers.
The manager often looks at at it this way for himself;
6% of say $300K = $18K for me if he signs with the Force OR
10% of say $500K = $50K for me if he signs with a top French club.

Absolutely. In the end it's still down to JOC (James O'Connor). If he really wants to get back into gold he'll have to take the harder road. If he decides he'd rather take the money then he and his manager will be happy but it closes that other door. Either is fine, but make a decision James.

Status
Not open for further replies.