• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo_jones

Frank Row (1)
By the way John I Dent (or 'stumpy' as we called him) was a pretty good bloke, can't think of anyone more deserving for the trophy to be named after.

Ah yes, he was, though I can't recall his nickname ever being 'stumpy', as you say.

I remember the night we put the plans in place for the creation of the John I Dent Cup. After a couple of quiet beers at the old Wests Rugby Club (which has since become the Southern Cross Club for all you youngsters out there) follwing a tough loss to University, we sketched some ideas for the trophy's design. It's no Bledisloe Cup, but I think what we see today is still a worthy prize for the grand final winners to hoist high above their heads.

jimbo_jones

Frank Row (1)
Just out of interest, does anyone know if and when the McDougall Medal night will be held? And does anyone have any predictions for the winner? I can't think of any standouts off the top of my head...

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ah yes, he was, though I can't recall his nickname ever being 'stumpy', as you say.

I remember the night we put the plans in place for the creation of the John I Dent Cup. After a couple of quiet beers at the old Wests Rugby Club (which has since become the Southern Cross Club for all you youngsters out there) follwing a tough loss to University, we sketched some ideas for the trophy's design. It's no Bledisloe Cup, but I think what we see today is still a worthy prize for the grand final winners to hoist high above their heads.

Ah well come on mate I don't think the moderators would like it if I posted Stumpy's other nicknames on here!

Those were the days, when every grand final everyone would chant "I'd rather be dead than RMC" , and "anyone but Norths".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some history on the John I Dent Cup in this Canberra Times article here:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/127247846?searchTerm=john I dent cup manuka&searchLimits=l-australian=y
First played for in 1938, the Cup was won by the Royal Military College, 27-6 over Norths, and it has been contested every year since except between 1942 and 1944 during World War II.

The Cup was a gift from John I. Dent, a wealthy Cootamundra grazier, who owned shops in Civic, Kingston and Manuka.

Dent was a personal friend of W. G. Woodger, the then President of the ACTRU, and he retired to live in Canberra and took up a grazing lease in the area that is now Weston.

Perhaps it was significant that Dent moved to Weston, the site of the Royals club.

Royals have appeared in 29 of the 52 grand finals, winning 16 and losing 13.

Clubs that have long since disappeared from the ACTRU competition, RAAF, Navy, Forestry School and Ainslie have all lined up in ACTRU grand finals but perhaps the one oddity that stands out in the winners' list is the 1950 victory by Royal Military College No 2 over Royal Military College No 1, 17-15.

RMC dominated possession of the Cup in the early years, taking it back to Duntroon on 14 occasions between 1938 and 1962.
Source: Canberra Times !7 September 1993, Sports Supplement Page 1

jimbo_jones

Frank Row (1)
Ah well come on mate I don't think the moderators would like it if I posted Stumpy's other nicknames on here!

Those were the days, when every grand final everyone would chant "I'd rather be dead than RMC" , and "anyone but Norths".

I'm sorry I think I may have given the wrong impression. John Dent was a friend of my late grandfather and he always spoke very highly of him, especially around grand final time - it's just that he always referred to him as 'Johnny' rather than 'Stumpy'....my apologies.

jimbo_jones

Frank Row (1)
I'm not sure I agree with the coining of the McDougall Medallist as the best player of the competition. Much like the Brownlow of the AFL, or Daly M of the NRL, potential winners can be a victim of playing in a quality side. I found this on the Brumbies website, which gives a good explanation of how it is awarded -

This award goes to the player, who has accumulated the most 3, 2, 1 votes over the regular season. A number of individuals from an independent selected panel attend all 1st Grade round matches and on that day they will select three outstanding players and awarded them points based on their influence and involvement in that game. (http://www.brumbies.com.au/CommunityRugby/ACTCompetitions/MacDougallMedalAwardsNight.aspx)

I know this may upset some people, but take Tuggeranong for instance. They probably have 8-10 players that could easily be argued as the best player in the competition, but because they are contesting for the same 3-2-1 points each week they will inevitably miss out because of the quality around them. On the other hand, and I'm sorry I don't mean to offend, Easts don't really have anyone that could be considered the best player in the comp - but will still receive points because there is no competition on the field for them.

jimbo_jones

Frank Row (1)
The McDougall Medal is a prestigious award and goes without saying that the winner has had a great season which deserves to be recognised, but do people understand what I mean?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
The McDougall Medal is a prestigious award and goes without saying that the winner has had a great season which deserves to be recognised, but do people understand what I mean?
Yeah I see your point, but not sure how else the medal could be awarded. In any case, looking back over past winners it is hard to argue against the merits of any of the winners over the last 20 years. There are some pretty handy players on the past winners list. I'm not sure there is a hot favourite this year?

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah I see your point, but not sure how else the medal could be awarded. In any case, looking back over past winners it is hard to argue against the merits of any of the winners over the last 20 years. There are some pretty handy players on the past winners list. I'm not sure there is a hot favourite this year?

I'll have a crack at throwing some odds together:
$1.01 - Jamie Kotz
$2.80 - Rodney Iona
$3 - Sok Tai
$3 - Steve Sione
$4.50 - Rocky
$5- Ratu Tagive

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some history on the John I Dent Cup in this Canberra Times article here:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/127247846?searchTerm=john I dent cup manuka&searchLimits=l-australian=y

Source: Canberra Times !7 September 1993, Sports Supplement Page 1

Someone with some technical know how should draft a wikipedia page on John I Dent using the Canberra Times article information and hyperlink that page to this wikipedia page --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACTRU_Premier_Division.
and the ACTRU Premier Division wiki page may benefit from a historical listing of former McDougall Medallists.

Any volunteers?

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
The point raised by Jimbo Jones re the Macdougall Medal is a valid one.
From 1984 to 1990 Royals & Daramalan contested every Grand Final yet not one of their players won a Macdougall Medal & to suggest the winners of the medal in those years were the best in the comp ahead of at least 10 players between those Royals & Dara sides is ludicrous. That said, it does seem to have corrected itself in recent years with the winners consistently coming from the best teams.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
This may end in tears, but hopefully not.

Anyone able to set aside tribal club loyalties and keen to nominate their John 1 Dent 2015 Merit Team of the Year?
Requirement: Must have played at least 7 games in any grade in John 1 Dent.

1. Lloyd, Harrison R
2. Mcinerney, Connal T
3. Lomax, Tyrel
4. O'Byrne, Connor R
5. Staniforth, Thomas J
6 .Tai, Soakai A
7. Ilolahia, Rutikha S
8. Leber, Brodie T
9. Ward, Mitchell J
10. Iona, Rodney
11. Finau, Maligi R
12. Rakic, Jake
13. Morgan, Keith R
14. Barrell, Andrew N
15. Kotz, Jamie J

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Trying to get some info on colts who played 1st grade this year and presumably may have a crack at the top grade next year. It could be argued of course, that the colts from Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals would walk into the top spot at the other clubs.
Any additions...thoughts?

1-Faaleli Sione R
2-Connal McInerey T
3-Tyrel Lomax T
4-
5-Callum Smith T
6-Iosua Tonga T
7- James Kazias T
8- Paragali R
9-
10-J Jackson-Hope T
11-Sam Ross R
12-Keith Morgan Q
13- Sam Giltrap T
14-
15-Jamie Kotz G

Reserves;
16- Suita Tai R
17-
18-
19- Tyron Sullivan Q
20-
21-Harry Burry R
22-

Twash

Frank Row (1)
I'd throw in Faaleli Sione at loose head, Suita Tai would be the back up hooker, I'd also slot in Paragali into the backrow

zv
Trying to get some info on colts who played 1st grade this year and presumably may have a crack at the top grade next year. It could be argued of course, that the colts from Tuggeranong, Queanbeyan and Royals would walk into the top spot at the other clubs.
Any additions.thoughts?

1-
2-Connal McInerey T
3-Tyrel Lomax T
4-
5-Callum Smith T
6-Iosua Tonga T
7- James Kazias T
8-
9-
10-J Jackson-Hope T
11-Sam Ross R