• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2016 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Eight John I Dent Cup players selected in the Australia Barbarians side to play the Australian U20's side in Sydney on Tuesday -

Brodie Leber (Wests)
Andrew Robinson (Tuggeranong)
Liam Berry (Uni-North Owls)
Tim Cornforth (Royals)
Neori Nadruku (Queanbeyan)
Max Pizzamiglio (Wests)
OJ Noa (Queanbeyan)
Edan Campbell-O’Brien (Uni-North Owls)

Full article/squad -

https://www.brumbies.com.au/2016/05/eight-john-dent-cup-players-named-barbarians/

Good to see some Canberra guys getting a run - What happened to Cornforth retiring last year? haha

Great to see Oj Noa and Nadruku in the side aswell!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Absolutely thrilled to see Robinson continuing to be recognised, he can't be far from a Brumbies spot, surely?

Have to agree mate - Looking in from an outside perspective the Vikings seem to under-rate Robinson i.e spending alot of time in 2nd grade over the last few years etc - but I honestly think he is one of their best players - and def one of the best if not the best back they have currently.

You would think he would have to make the Canberra NRC side this year - after last year spending a heap of time in 2nd grade and then starting nearly every game for the Sydney Stars (how the F does that work?)

It is surprising to me that such sides as the Western Force for example don't seem to be looking at the John I Dent as a feeding ground but prefer to look to South Africa for example to source players - maybe its closer? haha. . .

If Robinson is serious about becoming a contracted player maybe if something doesn't happen in the next 12-24 months - move on to another comp - be it in Aus or overseas. . .

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have to agree mate - Looking in from an outside perspective the Vikings seem to under-rate Robinson i.e spending alot of time in 2nd grade over the last few years etc - but I honestly think he is one of their best players - and def one of the best if not the best back they have currently.

You would think he would have to make the Canberra NRC side this year - after last year spending a heap of time in 2nd grade and then starting nearly every game for the Sydney Stars (how the F does that work?)

It is surprising to me that such sides as the Western Force for example don't seem to be looking at the John I Dent as a feeding ground but prefer to look to South Africa for example to source players - maybe its closer? haha.

If Robinson is serious about becoming a contracted player maybe if something doesn't happen in the next 12-24 months - move on to another comp - be it in Aus or overseas.

I think his time in 2nd grade was mostly a development thing. When he was 17, he was going to play for the Colts, but was a year too young, so instead has been playing in Seconds. No idea how he ended up at the Stars while we played Iona (no offence to the guy).

I thought that Pat Leafa going to the Rebels and Sam Windsor going to Ulster were the start of teams making use of our talent, but it's just faded away again.

yeah I agree. Has been outstanding for Tuggers this year and being shuffled from his preferred 13 to 12 hasn't stopped him

For the schoolboys, he was often playing wing or fullback! He could have fooled me into thinking 12 is his natural position, he plays it really well.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Quick shot at predictions;

Royals-Easts: Royals are a defensive juggernaut and Easts will struggle to break through. Since Royals like to counter-attack as soon as they get the ball, Easts lack of speed in the transition will be exploited. Royals by fifteen.

Owls-Whites: Owls have been surprisingly good, and may well match the Whites in the forward pack, but Whites will happily take their backline dominance and rack up a healthy scores. Whites by twenty.

Wests-Eagles: Wests have been the let down of the season, sadly, but can stick it to an Eagles side that know they can do better than they have been. Eagles are still under the shadow of their losses to Whites last month, and Royals two weeks ago. Eagles by two.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Premier Division

Wests v Gungahlin
1s Gungahlin 31 Wests 24
2s Gungahlin 37 Wests 22
Colts Gungahlin 25 Wests 17

Uni Norths v Queanbeyan
1s Queanbeyan 16 Uni Norths 8
2s Queanbeyan 43 Uni Norths 5
Colts Queanbeyan 45 Uni Norths 12

Royals v Easts
1s Royals 45 Easts 13
2s Royals 46 Easts 0
Colts Royals 82 Easts 5

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
First Division

Wests v Gungahlin
1s Gungahlin 32 Wests 12
2s Wests 52 Gungahlin 7

Uni Norths v Queanbeyan
1s Uni Norths 36 Queanbeyan 35
2s Queanbeyan 29 Uni Norths 24

Royals v Easts
1s Royals 36 Easts 5

Young v Goulburn
1s 15 all draw
2s Goulburn 20 Young 18

Tuggeranong v ADFA
1s Tuggeranong 24 ADFA 7
2s Tuggeranong 47 ADFA 10

Hall v Cooma
1s Hall 26 Cooma 8
2s Hall 29 Cooma 12

Women's Division
Royal 27 Uni Norths 5

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Went to the Uni V Whites game - not sure if both teams played badly or if it was a legit tough game - or a mix of both.

Uni took it to Whites again and in the 1st half Uni must of had 90% of the ball and were still down 7-3 at half time.

Again really not much to take from this game - I think the Whites are in need for the BYE (Next week) after a number of tough games in the 1st half of the season.

Uni prob could of won this game but totally lack any sort of finishing skills.

Whites def missed the likes of Barbaro, Makin, and Wells - Noa needs to move back to 8, Penca 7 and Wells/Ryan at 6.

Lets move onto next week for both sides - Whites get a much needed break and Uni can hopefully show some better finishing skills V the Eagles.

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
Went to the Uni V Whites game - not sure if both teams played badly or if it was a legit tough game - or a mix of both.

Uni took it to Whites again and in the 1st half Uni must of had 90% of the ball and were still down 7-3 at half time.

Again really not much to take from this game - I think the Whites are in need for the BYE (Next week) after a number of tough games in the 1st half of the season.

Uni prob could of won this game but totally lack any sort of finishing skills.

Whites def missed the likes of Barbaro, Makin, and Wells - Noa needs to move back to 8, Penca 7 and Wells/Ryan at 6.

Lets move onto next week for both sides - Whites get a much needed break and Uni can hopefully show some better finishing skills V the Eagles.

Yeah agree the forwards were a bit off but more importantly JR Morgan will come into the backline to add a bit of spark, I'd put young wells back onto the wing as well!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah agree the forwards were a bit off but more importantly JR Morgan will come into the backline to add a bit of spark, I'd put young wells back onto the wing as well!

You read my mind mate - I was going to say they have to bring JR back into the centres.

Also agree with Wells - he brings abit of extra on the wing - would def have him in the side.

As I said whites haven't really had an "easy" game in the 1st half of the season - so I think having a BYE next weekend / Game V Wests at home then another BYE (long weekend/short round) it will do them the world of good going into the 2nd half of the season - and I think they have the Vikings straight after that at home.

At the end of the day a win is a win and they are showing they can win these close games and have enough finishing power to close them out - which I guess you have to take something from.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was anyone at the Wests V Eagles game? Still no win for the Wests boys - making next weekend V Easts a cracker (of sorts) to see who can get their first 'W' and get off the bottom of the ladder - and possibly give them some motivation to move forward in the comp before the end of the year.

For Wests this must be one of their worst starts of a season in a long time. . .

bluebags

Larry Dwyer (12)
Eight John I Dent Cup players selected in the Australia Barbarians side to play the Australian U20's side in Sydney on Tuesday -

Brodie Leber (Wests)

Andrew Robinson (Tuggeranong)

Liam Berry (Uni-North Owls)

Tim Cornforth (Royals)

Neori Nadruku (Queanbeyan)

Max Pizzamiglio (Wests)

OJ Noa (Queanbeyan)

Edan Campbell-O’Brien (Uni-North Owls)

Full article/squad -

https://www.brumbies.com.au/2016/05/eight-john-dent-cup-players-named-barbarians/

Good to see some Canberra guys getting a run - What happened to Cornforth retiring last year? haha

Great to see Oj Noa and Nadruku in the side aswell!

Can anyone shed light on the actual criteria for selection. Excuse my ignorance, Is there any relationship between this team and the NRC Barbarian team as many of the names are from that team. However, many aren't and I haven't seen enough JID games to comment on all the local selections outside of the good form of Robinson and Noa.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can anyone shed light on the actual criteria for selection. Excuse my ignorance, Is there any relationship between this team and the NRC Barbarian team as many of the names are from that team. However, many aren't and I haven't seen enough JID games to comment on all the local selections outside of the good form of Robinson and Noa.

Honestly unsure of the connection/if any - I would say purely picked on current form? I am not sure to be honest - some of the guys from Canberra I have never seen play - but the guys I have seen play i.e Noa, Neori, Eden, Robinson - are some of the standouts in the comp in their positions - so no surprise they have been picked.

Playing a higher level of rugby though is only improving their chances to be picked in the NRC side later this year - the 4 guys I mentioned above though should hopefully walk into the side this year - as I said they have been standouts.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Round 9 -

Easts V Wests @ Griffith

Eagles V Uni @ Gungahlin Enclosed

Tuggers V Royals @ Vikings Park

Whites - BYE

Lets get in early for some predictions for this weekend. . . .

Easts V Wests - Wests to FINALLY have their 1st win - heard Easts had afew injuries over the weekend and their depth isn't great so any injuries could be very concerning to Easties - Wests I think will just of had enough of not getting the 'W' and will come out firing - Wests by 15

Eagles V Uni - 1st time these 2 sides have met this year - prob the 2 most matched sides in the comp at the moment - I am going to say Eagles at home will be too strong - Eagles by 8

Tuggers V Royals - Grand final re-match what will this game bring? Really not sure to be honest - picking this out of the air - Vikings by 5

Just on a side note - was anyone at the Easts V Royals game on the weekend - just reading a post on the Easts FB page about the game - basically the game "write-up" -

"Firsts were up against from the beginning, trying to match up against the bigger Royals pack which included Brumbies Tom Staniforth and Albert Alberta (can't remember his last name). Easts had the running for the first 20 minutes and lead 3 nil deep into the first half however the territory and possession did not provide more points. The last 20 minutes had Easts defending grimly and the set pieces (of which there were many) started to take its toll on our lads.
Easts cause was not helped by another woeful refereeing display. It is not good form to bag the refs and normally I don't but this guy is incompetent.....and blind.....Staniforth got a finger wagging for a coat hangar in the first half however this ref (and to be fare his blind mice masquerading as touchies) missed a whole wardrobe of them. "

There is more to the comment (more just about the day/1st grade game etc) - this is just a snip-it out of the write-up - If I was Easts I can understand their frustration as a club in the position they are in (even though they have been building slightly) - but for the president to bag the refs publicly prob isn't a good move to get supporters - official or not on board with the club.

I just hope as a club they are being honest with themselves and seeing they are simply not good enough at the moment - and the only people to help them improve are themselves at the moment - poor reffing or not they are simply not a good enough side at the moment to make an impact on the comp.

I know this is harsh but its true. I think Easts are a fantastic club but possibly need to keep somethings in house to not burn possible bridges.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Round 9 -

Easts V Wests @ Griffith

Eagles V Uni @ Gungahlin Enclosed

Tuggers V Royals @ Vikings Park

Whites - BYE

Lets get in early for some predictions for this weekend. .

Easts V Wests - Wests to FINALLY have their 1st win - heard Easts had afew injuries over the weekend and their depth isn't great so any injuries could be very concerning to Easties - Wests I think will just of had enough of not getting the 'W' and will come out firing - Wests by 15

Eagles V Uni - 1st time these 2 sides have met this year - prob the 2 most matched sides in the comp at the moment - I am going to say Eagles at home will be too strong - Eagles by 8

Tuggers V Royals - Grand final re-match what will this game bring? Really not sure to be honest - picking this out of the air - Vikings by 5

Just on a side note - was anyone at the Easts V Royals game on the weekend - just reading a post on the Easts FB page about the game - basically the game "write-up" -

"Firsts were up against from the beginning, trying to match up against the bigger Royals pack which included Brumbies Tom Staniforth and Albert Alberta (can't remember his last name). Easts had the running for the first 20 minutes and lead 3 nil deep into the first half however the territory and possession did not provide more points. The last 20 minutes had Easts defending grimly and the set pieces (of which there were many) started to take its toll on our lads.
Easts cause was not helped by another woeful refereeing display. It is not good form to bag the refs and normally I don't but this guy is incompetent...and blind...Staniforth got a finger wagging for a coat hangar in the first half however this ref (and to be fare his blind mice masquerading as touchies) missed a whole wardrobe of them. "

There is more to the comment (more just about the day/1st grade game etc) - this is just a snip-it out of the write-up - If I was Easts I can understand their frustration as a club in the position they are in (even though they have been building slightly) - but for the president to bag the refs publicly prob isn't a good move to get supporters - official or not on board with the club.

I just hope as a club they are being honest with themselves and seeing they are simply not good enough at the moment - and the only people to help them improve are themselves at the moment - poor reffing or not they are simply not a good enough side at the moment to make an impact on the comp.

I know this is harsh but its true. I think Easts are a fantastic club but possibly need to keep somethings in house to not burn possible bridges.

The Referees Assoc. has been in contact with the Club President and asked him to take it down. There a processes of review in place for all Premier Grade Referees and pathways that clubs can follow if they have issue. This is not a good look for a Club to have their President publicly slating Referees, it doesn't help to build bonds and work through issues. Pretty disappointing, Referees like players have poor games the only difference is there are not 14 other referees on the field to clean it up for them...

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
Was anyone at the Wests V Eagles game? Still no win for the Wests boys - making next weekend V Easts a cracker (of sorts) to see who can get their first 'W' and get off the bottom of the ladder - and possibly give them some motivation to move forward in the comp before the end of the year.

For Wests this must be one of their worst starts of a season in a long time.

I was at the Wests v Eagles game and it was a lovely afternoon for watching the rugby. Wests came out of the blocks firing and scored a couple of tries before Gungahlin got on the board. though that said after the first 20 minutes it was all the Eagles. Eagles led 14-10 at the break and then after a couple of tries down the left wing the Eagles led the game was out of reach of the Wests side. although the final score of 31-27 looks close it was 31-15 with about ten to go and it was 31-22 when the clock ran out so the Wests try after the bell got them a bonus point but the eagles were never in danger of losing.
That said the Eagles started slow like they did against Royals the week before their Bye. It cost them the game against Royals and it is a habit they will need to break if they want to go deep in the finals.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Easts cause was not helped by another woeful refereeing display. It is not good form to bag the refs and normally I don't but this guy is incompetent...and blind...Staniforth got a finger wagging for a coat hangar in the first half however this ref (and to be fare his blind mice masquerading as touchies) missed a whole wardrobe of them. "

Now that's just a bridge too far. The first thing to bring up is always rule 6.A.4:
- a.) The referee is the sole judge of fact and of Law during a match.
I think we, as fans, like to get caught up in the idea that refs have a bias that will decide the game one way or another, but when we sit down and think about it, they're not biased. A Saffa team might get a home ground advantage from a Saffa ref because that ref is used to the SARU game, but not because they're biased against the visiting team. And even when a ref calls the same penalty differently, they'll often explain why to the captain because they know how bad it might look; at the Brumbies-Crusaders game last year, Peyper gave Mogg a yellow card for deliberate knock down and later only penalised a Crusader for the same offence. I was mad when we were at the game live, but when I watched the replay, Peyper explained that "the other penalty was a yellow because it might have been a try, this one was on half way.".

I think that is part of why I got mad as a fan in the ground, and Moore accepted the call and moved on; he got to hear an explanation, I didn't. This is also why the reaction of fans is both more tolerable and less influential. Hell, even coaches have a hard time with these calls; Stiles basically shouted "f**king bulls**t" when the Blues got their penalty to tie the game, but he didn't go down to the press and say "We were robbed by the referee.", did he? So to see this coming from the team, a team I've liked watching this year, pisses me off.

That aside, I think I can speak for all of us when I say that the refs have been between okay and fantastic this season, usually just plain good. It's been a real pleasure, actually. Morris has been the real stand out as a fantastic referee, especially in the first Owls-Wests game and the cracker between Vikings and Whites. I saw Henshaw in the first week at Royals-Whites for the Seconds, and for Owls-Whites on the weekend, and he was good too.

I've only seen Nelson, the ref in the Royals-Easts game, at the first Eagles-Easts game and for either the Colts or Seconds at the Vikings-Whites game, and he's been good (I'm not going to claim he's great, but he's good). So not only do I think attacking him is intolerable even if he was bad, but all my experience says that he isn't, and people I've talked to who were at the game (admittedly, Royals fans too) say that he was encouraging an attacking game, and they didn't fault him.

I think it's disgraceful from Easts, and retracting it isn't good enough, active apology is needed.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

As a neutral, I thought it was a great game! Whites backline were dominant all game, and they caused absolute chaos the second they got behind the Owls defensive line.

The scrums were even, and for the first hour the lineouts were too, but then Whites caught on to the fact that Owls only through throw to their 8 and just competed with him.

The scrumhalf for Uni was fantastic, and their flyhalf was probably MotM. Stampede calls the Owls 11 "Twinkle-Toes", but he had some great power behind him too. For Queanbeyan, I thought Penca and Tiatia were their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.