• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2018 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Can someone tell me what happened in the uni v tuggies game today. Uni were obviously very very good in the first half (or tuggies were terrible?) but having only watched the second half I'm very confused. Did uni have a better scrum in the first half that tired in the second? Uni didn't look like scoring in the second half and in all honesty Tuggies had a lot of chances to win that game. Can someone tell me what I missed?

Would love to hear reports from the other two games as well.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Can someone tell me what happened in the uni v tuggies game today. Uni were obviously very very good in the first half (or tuggies were terrible?) but having only watched the second half I'm very confused. Did uni have a better scrum in the first half that tired in the second? Uni didn't look like scoring in the second half and in all honesty Tuggies had a lot of chances to win that game. Can someone tell me what I missed?

Would love to hear reports from the other two games as well.

Vikings were poor defensively in the first half, there appeared to be little communication in defence and they were falling off tackles. Uni did what they do, simple stuff that stuck. Vikings came back after the extended break and shut Uni out of the second half. Thoughts with the young bloke reportedly a dislocated hip on is starting debut (and dad's birthday).

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Thanks Monkey- that is dreadful news about the injury. I'm sure the Tuggies lads will get behind him and support him through what will no doubt be a tough road.

If you only watch the second half as I did the first half score makes no sense. Uni had two good back rowers that made yards with the ball in hand but otherwise Tuggies dominated every other part of the game. If they played again this weekend I'd tip Tuggies by 30 they looked that superior. Earnest made easy meters every time they went wide but Tuggies made a lot of unforced errors.

Really happy for uni and hope it continues but I can't get on the band wagon yet.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the first half, the Uni forwards were unstoppable. Their locks broke every first-time tackle they met, and then went another 5m after the next hit. Their backrowers were offloading like crazy. They couldn't lose a breakdown or a lineout. Meanwhile, the backline was gaining metres each run, and made some brilliant Ma'a-Nonu-style ugly-but-effective kicks that pinned Vikes in their own half. They didn't know how to deal with it and could have conceded 50 in the first half.

However, clearly the coaching staff did their job at half time, as they neutralised Uni. No idea how, but they did. I don't feel like it was a drop in Uni's performance, or that Vikes played any better per se, but they played in a way that shut Uni down. So well done to the coaching staff in Tuggeranong, but the dominance that Uni showed in the first half was simply too much; nobody overcomes a 24pt deficit.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
So based on that do you have uni sneaking in the 4 or do Easts get in or is it possible they both squeeze Qbn out after it's loss on the weekend?

Predictions on the final Placings - I'll go:
1 Vikes
2 Royals
3 Qbn
4 Easts
5 Unis
6 Darra
7 West

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If there’s any justice, it’ll be Vikes and Royals in the top 2, Uni and Easts the others in the finals. Amazingly, we have 5 teams that have a realistic chance of winning the whole thing, and four different play styles between them!

Edit: Expanding on what I mean by the styles: Royals and Easts are playing a similar low-possession, high-territory, kicking and interception based game; Queanbeyan are eager to spread the ball and retain possession, but still attack with reckless abandon; Uni are playing a very direct, pick-and-drive, kick to the corner team, that values possession and breakdown security; and Vikings, whose style seems to be more defined by how to counter the opposition than playing their own game.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Sorry. Should have posted earlier but I’m still recovering from many, many celebratory ales on the weekend. Blindsider a few weeks ago called the Uni-Norths club out on this forum recently, and I have to say, the past fortnight has been an absolute hoot!
Immensely proud of the team on Saturday, at 31-7 up, I was stunned. Best half of football I have ever seen, and that includes the second half of the 1992 GF against the blue baggers. It was a game of two halves, however, as Tuggeranong were insane in their comeback. Whatever Smith said to his troops at the break obviously hit home. This is a side that rallies around their main man, their leader. They nearly got the job done and stole it at the end.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Geez Greengrass- based on how hard you celebrate a home and away game, you better put in for annual leave for all of October in case your mob sneak into the finals! Some might say going off a bit early- I say good passion. Hope the students roll continues!

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry. Should have posted earlier but I’m still recovering from many, many celebratory ales on the weekend. Blindsider a few weeks ago called the Uni-Norths club out on this forum recently, and I have to say, the past fortnight has been an absolute hoot!
Immensely proud of the team on Saturday, at 31-7 up, I was stunned. Best half of football I have ever seen, and that includes the second half of the 1992 GF against the blue baggers. It was a game of two halves, however, as Tuggeranong were insane in their comeback. Whatever Smith said to his troops at the break obviously hit home. This is a side that rallies around their main man, their leader. They nearly got the job done and stole it at the end.

c u at Queanbeyan ;)

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
Was at the SFS watching the Wallabies on the weekend, so missed the game on the weekend. Very disappointing.
Dara and Wests are obviously having mid season resurgences. The Valley, Blue Baggers and Owls are lock ins, who is going to finish 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.