• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2018 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Gungahlin vs Easts- Easts by 9
Royals vs Queanbeyan - Queanbeyan by 4
Uni vs Wests - Uni by 16

Looking forward to tomorrow. If Uni get up, it is a changing of the guard. The 'powerhouse rugby club north of Mooseheads/Private Bin' title is up for grabs, and I'm confident we'll get the job done!
Revised top 4 predictions for the first weekend of the finals: Was last weekend at Phillip a Grand Final preview?
1. Royals
2. Uni-Norths
3. Tuggeranong
4. Queanbeyan
5. Easts
6. Wests
7. Gungahlin

I guess the guard didn't change for unis. Still see them finishing 2nd Greengrass?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Was at Queanbeyan; Whites scored four tries to the Royals three, but Pedro also kicked three penalties and two conversions, while the Queanbeyan fullback missed all four conversions and a penalty attempt. If everyone kicked their sticks, Queanbeyan would have won by 1.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
I guess the guard didn't change for unis. Still see them finishing 2nd Greengrass?

Red card to our tighthead prop 30 minutes into the game proved to be a fatal blow. Watching it live, there didn't appear to be a whole lot in it and looked like he was responding to something a Lions player did. Full credit to Wests.
Any reports from Gungahlin or Campese?

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Red card to our tighthead prop 30 minutes into the game proved to be a fatal blow. Watching it live, there didn't appear to be a whole lot in it and looked like he was responding to something a Lions player did. Full credit to Wests.

There seems to be a lot of send offs in Rugby lately almost like there has been an edict through all levels to stamp out any foul play. Been quite a few in the JID, one in the Tahs game and one in the Brumbies i believe. Happy for foul play to be addressed but as Green Grass says, an early send off in a game can pretty much seal the result which isn't ideal. Been a great JID this year and would be terrible if a player was red carded 10 minutes into a GF. Discipline is on the players but the refs also need to take a sensible view on things that are just timing or skill errors all be it with a bad outcome. I have an issue with the interpretation of intent. It might be a players intent to hit a guy hard in the chest or drive him backwards in a tackle. It generally a skill error that results in the shoulder hitting the jaw rather than the chest or a player being driven after going beyond the horizontal. Careless yes, yellow card yes - but did he intentionally try to make contact with the jaw - no. If a player intentionally throws an elbow or punch then yes that is a red.

The Blindsider

Frank Nicholson (4)

"Not a whole lot in it"?!?!? How one-eyed can you be? Bode completely takes the blokes legs out from behind in a total over reaction! He get a couple of weeks I bet and Uni has very poor depth in the front row to cover unless Benny A is there to save the day. No chance are Owls coming second in the JID with or without Bode, they can play really good rugby at times but never have the depth or class to pull a full season campaign together. It may seem harsh but the Uni club are stuck with a very cyclical talent pool and lose/gain players as the students come and go. Tough to build something there with the lack of stability they have...

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
"Not a whole lot in it"?!?!? How one-eyed can you be? Bode completely takes the blokes legs out from behind in a total over reaction! He get a couple of weeks I bet and Uni has very poor depth in the front row to cover unless Benny A is there to save the day. No chance are Owls coming second in the JID with or without Bode, they can play really good rugby at times but never have the depth or class to pull a full season campaign together. It may seem harsh but the Uni club are stuck with a very cyclical talent pool and lose/gain players as the students come and go. Tough to build something there with the lack of stability they have.

Can you explain the incident a bit more - I wouldn't think taking a players legs out = red card or suspension. Was it late, after play had stopped?

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Can you explain the incident a bit more - I wouldn't think taking a players legs out = red card or suspension. Was it late, after play had stopped?

Ruck completed, Bode holds west player in Ruck. Wests players swings arm to break the hold may have glancing contact with the head and runs off. Bode gets up follows Wests player and kicks him in the legs causing Wests player to fall over. A bit more force than you expect from the word "trip".

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Ruck completed, Bode holds west player in Ruck. Wests players swings arm to break the hold may have glancing contact with the head and runs off. Bode gets up follows Wests player and kicks him in the legs causing Wests player to fall over. A bit more force than you expect from the word "trip".

Seriously- I'll give him a 1 week suspension for being a dumb ass. If he shoved him or retaliated in more of a masculine way it would just be a yellow card, but for acting like a B grade South American soccer player I support the red and endorse a 1 week suspension!

macka_au

Allen Oxlade (6)

Judge for yourself, Happens at about 34 minutes. I wouldn't call this a trip I'd call it a pretty blatant kick. My gut tells me he'll be spending a fair bit of time on the sideline after this.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)

Judge for yourself, Happens at about 34 minutes. I wouldn't call this a trip I'd call it a pretty blatant kick. My gut tells me he'll be spending a fair bit of time on the sideline after this.

I can’t see this resulting in anything more than a week, 2 at worst. It’s dumb and fairly petulant but it’s not all that dirty. Minimal force, more of a sweep. Didn’t attack the head. Give him one for being a moron.
Coach Doc would be furious with this sort of silly overreaction I’d think.
Have seen far worse get off Scott free in this zone to be honest. I remember watching Ben coutts and Sam Taisini flog the shit out of each other and get a week each down from 2. Not all that long ago either.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Bit of a brain snap and definitely more a kick than a trip. Bizarre really. Be hard to see him coming back before 3 weeks and I wouldn't be shocked if he got a lot longer!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
That is a clear example of intent to commit foul play. I've go no drama with him copping a suspension for that. I struggle with the incidents that are more skill errors. Rory Arnold's high shot on the weekend had no intent in my view. He intended to hit him in the chest and his skills let him down. He didn't intend to hit him in the head. Doesn't mean there should be no consequence but it needs to be more proportional.

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
I personally think it will be graded low end kicking or mid range tripping. Same outcome either way 4 week start point with the ability to halve if clean record.

You’d assume uni will argue for a low range tripping and aim for 2 down to 1 weeks.

Must remember that law 9.12. Assuming that’s the law the report says was infringed, does not mention intent only action
“ A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm(including stiff-arm tackles), shoulder, head or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking”

Very silly either way.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
"Not a whole lot in it"?!?!? How one-eyed can you be? Bode completely takes the blokes legs out from behind in a total over reaction! He get a couple of weeks I bet and Uni has very poor depth in the front row to cover unless Benny A is there to save the day. No chance are Owls coming second in the JID with or without Bode, they can play really good rugby at times but never have the depth or class to pull a full season campaign together. It may seem harsh but the Uni club are stuck with a very cyclical talent pool and lose/gain players as the students come and go. Tough to build something there with the lack of stability they have.

Here’s a bloke who knows nothing about anything. His punishment should be buying his captain and other prop a beer.
Fair dinkum, as I continue to say, it isn’t Oztag out there.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I guess the judiciary will provide an answer for us about whether there was anything in it or not, but seriously Green Grass as an Owls supporter you must be a tad embarrassed that your front rower pulled such a girly soccer move. Who kicks like that?

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
My word! If you’re going to have a go at someone, do it properly!!!

On further review there was definitely intent = 1 week; came at the bloke from behind - man up, your a prop for heaven's sake = 2 weeks; and did it right next to the ref = idiot = minimum 1 week. The last one should be imposed by the coach if the judiciary doesn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.