• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I. Dent Cup 2018 - ACT Premier Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only changes between the Uni team that beat Royals 26-25 and the team that lost to the Eagles on the weekend is one of the locks and the number 8. We've seen them collapse before (Easts rd1, Wests rd7, Whites rd12). I still reckon they pull it off this weekend.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Just read in the Canberra Times about the drama around Darra's use of fresh reserves last week. What are people's thoughts on this? Darra out, Qbn back in? Qbn might get two mad Mondays in one year!

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I don't have an interest either way here and don't envy the ACTRU folks needing to make a call, but, I think I'm leaning towards Darra out Qbn in. It's a terrible situation but rules are there for a reason. I don't suggest there was intent on Darras behalf, and I agree the impact on the result was minor but I'm not sure you can look the other way and maintain integrity on this one.

I won't be screaming from the rooftops if they go the other way - it's a tough one.

What do others think?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The rules exist to prevent club rugby from becoming too professional. It's fine to have your 1st grade starters that you haven't used in other games, we want you to have some 1st graders who came from your lower grades. It's basically impossible to be without an option, either, as you'll probably have somewhere between 40 and 70 players who have played in lower grades that day.

There must be some punishment. A week suspension for the players in question? A points deduction (functionally removing them from the finals)? A fine to the club? I don't know, but something.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree - rules are there for a reason. I don't think it is practical to fine clubs as most are not flushed with cash. I would probably be most comfortable with them missing finals this year. Your option of suspending the players involved is a neat middle ground.

Uni would have to be loving this. Either way they will face a side coming off a very disruptive week. I think uni stand a better chance against Darra than a whites team who would be playing without the pressure of expectations.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Would there be much variation in the way a club would prepare to face Darra as opposed to facing Qbn or do both play a similar game?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Expanding on what I mean by the styles: Royals and Easts are playing a similar low-possession, high-territory, kicking and interception based game; Queanbeyan are eager to spread the ball and retain possession, but still attack with reckless abandon; Uni are playing a very direct, pick-and-drive, kick to the corner team, that values possession and breakdown security; and Vikings, whose style seems to be more defined by how to counter the opposition than playing their own game.

Having Hawera at 10 let Eagles play in a similar style to Uni, but with more use of the backline. I expect that Uni will train for their own game, and the only difference will be that the forwards will do more work against Eagles, the backs doing more work against Whites.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)

Having Hawera at 10 let Eagles play in a similar style to Uni, but with more use of the backline. I expect that Uni will train for their own game, and the only difference will be that the forwards will do more work against Eagles, the backs doing more work against Whites.

I read Hawera is on holidays this week. Unless Darra found a way to convince him to change plans I think the 15 slots into 10 and Darra become a very different team.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
There were reports that ACTRU were looking into all of their uses of reserves in 1sts. Solid chance that the warning means this was the only example of the rule being broken.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
I think Tuggies might roll Royals with a surprising degree of ease to move into the GF as hot favourites.
I think Uni's might sneak past Darra if they haven't found a way to convince Hawera that holiday's are overrated.

Very pleased to note that in line with how great a season this has been, I wouldn't be even a tad surprised if both results were the opposite to my predictions.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Not a bad game today and good to see Royals going through for a chance to go back to back. I thought Pedro and Jamie Bodman were very good for Royals with Jordan Jackson-Hope the pick of the Vikings backs. Not sure Andrew Robertson added anything on the wing for Vikings other than nostalgia, and if Earnest or Langtry are available I'd have either ahead of him. Odd sort of a game and a big chance Vikings will be back for another shot in two weeks. Put Cussack into that Royals backrow and they look hard to beat!

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
'Carter to Johnston' not quite the same as 'Larkham to Walker' but still impressive

Carter.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.